Miscellaneous musings - I am very excited!

jwoap

The packing as begun! I am so excited I can't stand it, I feel 5!!! This time next week we will be out on the high seas!

And I have weird things on my list --

Extenstion cord (someone told me I might need one as I use a CPAP)

a travel iron (the ship doesn't have one?)

Our own bottled water and soda (can you really bring that stuff on board)

Wine (we are looking into this)

Shoes? Not sure what kind or how many pairs of shoes to bring. I am clearly a sandal, flip-flop-CROC's girl. I haven't worn socks, or high heels in years.

Should I leave fragrance at home? I have worn the same fragrance for many years -- it's always tasteful, but I want to be sensitive to those who might get a headache from fragrance.:eek:

Books to read

Should I bring a lap top or Ipad ? Or should I say screw it and leave them at home.

video camera? I am bringing my Canon and my Iphone that has it's own video camera. Do I need another?

Aside from the ususal suspects I wonder what I will wish I brought and didn't?

Anyhow, I just am so darn excited!

The packing as begun! I am so excited I can't stand it, I feel 5!!! This time next week we will be out on the high seas!

Extension cord (someone told me I might need one as I use a CPAP) GOOD IDEA - ALSO A POWER STRIP

a travel iron (the ship doesn't have one?) BAD IDEA (IRONS ARE ON THE BANNED LIST) ASK THE ROOM STEWARD FOR AN IRON AND IRONING BOARD - OR LOOK IN THE DAILY FOR FIRST NIGHT'S IRONING SPECIAL

Our own bottled water and soda (can you really bring that stuff on board) GOOD IDEA PARTICULARLY IF YOU WANT COKE PRODUCTS - BUT SHIP'S WATER IS GOOD

Wine (we are looking into this) GOOD BUT $15 CORKAGE FEE PER BOTTLE

Shoes? Not sure what kind or how many pairs of shoes to bring. I am clearly a sandal, flip-flop-CROC's girl. I haven't worn socks, or high heels in years. FREESTYLE - WEAR WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY

Should I leave fragrance at home? I have worn the same fragrance for many years -- it's always tasteful, but I want to be sensitive to those who might get a headache from fragrance.:eek: VERY THOUGHTFUL

Books to read MAYBE ONE - MORE IN THE LIBRARY

Should I bring a lap top or Ipad ? Or should I say screw it and leave them at home. PROBABLY WILL BRING OUR NETBOOK FOR DOWNLOADING PICS

video camera? I am bringing my Canon and my Iphone that has it's own video camera. Do I need another? I THINK YOU HAVE IT COVERED

Aside from the ususal suspects I wonder what I will wish I brought and didn't? #1 - GOOD ATTITUDE

My notes IN RED above.

Extenstion cord (someone told me I might need one as I use a CPAP)

a travel iron (the ship doesn't have one?)

Our own bottled water and soda (can you really bring that stuff on board)

Wine (we are looking into this)

Shoes? Not sure what kind or how many pairs of shoes to bring. I am clearly a sandal, flip-flop-CROC's girl. I haven't worn socks, or high heels in years.

Should I leave fragrance at home? I have worn the same fragrance for many years -- it's always tasteful, but I want to be sensitive to those who might get a headache from fragrance.:eek:

Books to read

Should I bring a lap top or Ipad ? Or should I say screw it and leave them at home.

video camera? I am bringing my Canon and my Iphone that has it's own video camera. Do I need another?

Aside from the ususal suspects I wonder what I will wish I brought and didn't?

The extension cord is a good idea, but they may take the travel iron away from you if they see it. The room stewards can get you an iron if they take yours.

Water and soda are allowed.

Wine is ok but you have to pay a corkage fee.

Wear shoes you like. NCL dress code is "resort casual" so no need to be fancy unless you want to.

Your fragrance should be your choice. If it bothers anyone, there is plenty of room for them to move away from you. Remember -- Thjis is your trip, too !!

Laptop or Ipod ?? Depends on your addiction to them !!:D

Cameras are another thing that you have to choose. Alaska has lots of opportunities for photos, so it depends on how much you want to capture.

Prepare for the weather which is unpredictable. Layers and water repellant jackets are a good idea.

You may want binoculars, also. They help you enjoy the wildlife a little more.

Enjoy !!!!!!!

The extension cord is a good idea, but they may take the travel iron away from you if they see it. The room stewards can get you an iron if they take yours.

Water and soda are allowed.

Wine is ok but you have to pay a corkage fee.

Wear shoes you like. NCL dress code is "resort casual" so no need to be fancy unless you want to.

Your fragrance should be your choice. If it bothers anyone, there is plenty of room for them to move away from you. Remember -- Thjis is your trip, too !!

Laptop or Ipod ?? Depends on your addiction to them !!:D

Cameras are another thing that you have to choose. Alaska has lots of opportunities for photos, so it depends on how much you want to capture.

Prepare for the weather which is unpredictable. Layers and water repellant jackets are a good idea.

You may want binoculars, also. They help you enjoy the wildlife a little more.

Enjoy !!!!!!!

Oh gosh! Layers and jackets! I totally spaced that out! Okay I will ditch the iron:)

Thank you!

It is fine to bring your own fragrance. Most people don't take a bath in it. There is a perfume "shop" on the ship, tho, so if you want to leave yours home you could go to the ship shop and get a free squirt every day. :D

happy cruising!

on your way up to AK, look west and give me a big ol' wave k?

i wish my dad's binoculars had a camera on them. When i'm up at his house, i can see the AK cruise ships head up through the coastal waters. His binoculars practically place me right on the deck with the passengers lol.

extra memory cards for the camera...if you are like a lot of us, you could take over 500 - 1000 photos. we take our laptop, i spend quiet time downloading and editing them (that's how i relax). downloading them give me the peace of mind of knowing they are stored and i can't lose them if something happens to the camera.

the power strip gives you more outlets for charging your batteries or such.

good walking shoes!!! something comfy, that you don't mind getting dirty or wet. you don't want to walk around in flip flops or sandals. if it rains, even the steps/ramps, leaving/entering, the ship can be slippery. if you are doing any boat tour you want something with non-slip soles. any good sport/walking shoe is fine.

Binoculars are a must, if you don't bring them you will end up buying them on the ship, trust me :). Also light, packable raincoat , weather changes a lot, day may start with rain but can turn nice quickly, and turn the other way!

Enjoy your cruise!

I always put a bottle of Downey Wrinkle Release in my checked luggage. It works really well on all those suitcase-induced wrinkles, and that way I don't have to worry about the iron. By the way, irons (and candles) are banned because fire is such a worry for ships at sea. Have a great trip!

Also, your ship will have computers you can use, so really no need to bring a laptop unless you plan to upload your pictures.

The extension cord should be a least a 12' one. Mayabe bring some duct tape to tape the cord to the carpet....less chance of tripping.

another poster said that there are computers available onboard. That is true, but they are only "Internet Terminals"...no other software is accessible in the Internet Cafe PCs, nor any way to access the PC itself to read external media cards, etc. Internet access is very slow and very expensive, so if internet is important, bring a wireless-capable device and use in onshore in internet cafes, etc.

This was reccommended to me by a co-worker who has cruised before and I'm glad I followed her advice. Bring your own snacks to eat in the cabin, if you like munchies before you settle for the night. They are very expensive in the ship gift shop and unavailable on the room service menu.

Don't hyperventilate as your vacation will be over in a blink:mad: Suck in EVERY day of it and enjoy yourself!

Make sure you pack medicinal items as they too are expensive on board. Things like antacids, aspirin, few bandaids, that sort of stuff. My SIL took a spill a few cruises back and 3 bandaids and a small packet of neosporin were something like $9 - whew!!!

19 days and counting for us - trying not to hyperventilate myself!!:D

Archived