New hangout at Port Canaveral

JTJ

I went to a really neat place at PC yesterday. It just opened Monday, and is great for locals and I think for out of town cruisers. It is on the water, between Grills and Rustys, has two stories, and best of all the 2nd floor has a hugh wrap around open air deck. The deck has to be 3000 sq ft plus with 40 tables. You can see sunsets, space center buildings, and the ships all leave. HH is until 19:00 with $1.5 big drafts and some drink special. I didn't eat but what I saw come out looked great; 1/2 lb burger with fries $6, dolphin plater $14, rib plate (highest thing on menu) $16. The 1st story has floor the ceiling windows facing the water and is quiet, 2nd story inside the same but loud and the deck being high up is the best around (MHO). It's just starting up so there is plenty of room. The only rub is suncruz shares the lobby area, but check it out. I'm impressed and am glad there's something new out there, I eat at Rustys and drink at Grills According to the bar miad they were supposed to open last summer but the big Hs took the roof off. I can remember workmen there on the way out to fish last year. For old timers it used to be called LLoyds before some kind of financial squable closed it years ago. But it's got my vote, check it out. Easy to find, the suncruz sign is out in front, but they are not affiliated, matter of fact there's a parking issue going on between them from what a gathered at the lot.

It is called "Fish Lips"! The building restaurant has been under various different management and owners for years since Lloyd's closed up.

The previous owner's of Lloyd's opened up the Sunset Cafe at the base of the 520 bridge on East side of Banana River, years ago.

Hope you'all enjoy! They are one of my new customers! Drink up!

Cheers!

Grills does not. They hand you a little buzzer-type device which activates when your table is ready, like the ones used at the restaurants owned by the Driden corp (Red Lobster, etc). They'll give you a time estimate... sometimes as long as an hour.

Actually that would be Darden Corporation...wink..wink..but we won't tell!

Hi Flamingo Sun!! Just thought I would raze you a little!!

Actually my DH and I always know to halve the time they give you at Grills.

They like to come out the heros so you will be thrilled when it is not actually that long, so will double the actual time. One hour means a half...twenty minutes is 10... an hour and a half...is to scare away the tourists...(just kidding!)...and actually means about 45 minutes.

Enjoy!

Oh...and drink up there too...they are also my very good customers!

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

same, going there for HH and a dinner tonight will check, ate there two Sundays ago stopped by with GF while riding bikes, food was great (I had grouper sandwich GF had dolphin), got to watch Mariner leave from the upstairs could see it make the turn North. It's starting to get popular I see the locals there regularly. The upstairs is best I have seen in a bar & grill, would make a great place to watch a launch, plenty of plasma TVs inside for sports.

Sorry, can't help with the Crab Legs question, but thought I'd add two new updates to the Port hangout list:

Frankie's Wings & Things (across the street from Fish LIps) has been replaced by Ryan's Portside Bar & Grill "Port Canaveral's One & Only Irish Pub". Happy Hour 3-6 $2.50 well drinks, 2-4-1 drafts.

Soon to open: From the owners of the current RedHead Martini Bar, the new CopperHead will open in the pastel almost-new building that formerly housed the short-lived Cajun restaurant (just southeast behind Ryan's). The theme of this restaurant/bar will be Country Western and will offer free boat washes to returning fishermen that buy a bucket of beer. :D

JTJ, can you find out what time they open for business?

We're coming a few days before and staying near Universal, but would enjoy somewhere new to grab an early lunch/brunch before heading back to Orlando post-cruise.

Anyone know if there are any launches scheduled in two weeks? :D

Sorry, can't help with the Crab Legs question, but thought I'd add two new updates to the Port hangout list:

Soon to open: From the owners of the current RedHead Martini Bar, the new CopperHead will open in the pastel almost-new building that formerly housed the short-lived Cajun restaurant (just southeast behind Ryan's). The theme of this restaurant/bar will be Country Western and will offer free boat washes to returning fishermen that buy a bucket of beer. :D

I sure do wish them luck!

The people that built that restaurant were originally up over the Marina store directly across from Grills (once known as J.J. Grills as I still call it), and were very small with a no frills, but a with wonderful little porch outside. It was the newspaper and crack your own type place. Great crabs!!

They decided to open the new, bigger place behind the marina area and a block away from the water. They did not last long, as the location is terrible, since people are there for the water front. I am guessing the Cajun place suffered the same malady, or at least it was a contributing factor.

Strange the restaurant wants to offer boat washing, as there is a free wash down area at the launch there as you pull out. Fisherman have it really good there, as no launch fees, no charge for parking, plus the free wash down area. And even a fish cleaning station for the lucky ones!

Cheers!

dms,

http://www.flatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/99999999/NEWS02/50119002/1007

Next rocket launch

April 6 (Date still tentative)

A Lockheed Martin Titan 4B rocket with a National Reconnaissance Office classified intelligence satellite from Pad 40 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida. Launch window to be announced.

BTW: this is the last of the Titan rockets, sad but the end of the prgram, after this launch all the US will have left is Atlas and Delta expendable launch vehicles. The new heavy left missles Atlas 5 and Delta 4 are hugh and super loud. If you every get a chance they are the ones to watch.

dms,

http://www.flatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/99999999/NEWS02/50119002/1007

Next rocket launch

April 6 (Date still tentative)

A Lockheed Martin Titan 4B rocket with a National Reconnaissance Office classified intelligence satellite from Pad 40 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida. Launch window to be announced.

BTW: this is the last of the Titan rockets, sad but the end of the prgram, after this launch all the US will have left is Atlas and Delta expendable launch vehicles. The new heavy left missles Atlas 5 and Delta 4 are hugh and super loud. If you every get a chance they are the ones to watch.

That IS sad...end of an era. I love watching the rocket launches. Of course the Air Force can't list the launch time for security reasons until later.

Thanks for the web link, I love using that one too. Especially like the "launch journal" one for countdown updates. At the same time, I have Channel 13 local news on, if I am watching it from my back yard, as they cover it pretty well too.

I never did figure out what local radio station has the launch countdown coverage for when I go out to the port to watch it. :confused:

Cheers!

Island, a couple weeks ago the 1st Altas 5 launched Friday around 5pm, I bet the SOS passengers got an real shock (but a great view) especially if they were doing muster when it launched. I would love to see a launch from the top of a cruise ship in the port of even better a couple miles out.

Thanks for the info on the Cajun restaurant, Island Lady! I was away from the area for a few years and this was a new building when I came home. I used to LOVE that upstairs restaurant over the marina. They had the BEST fresh grilled fish sub sandwich in the world! No one in the port has been able to recreate it (that I've found).

Like you,I am also clueless why CopperHead thinks a boat wash is valuable. Maybe it will be done by "Hooter-type gals" outside or something. One of the bartenders at the RedHead told me about this, but didn't ellaborate further.

I sure do wish them luck!

The people that built that restaurant were originally up over the Marina store directly across from Grills (once known as J.J. Grills as I still call it), and were very small with a no frills, but a with wonderful little porch outside. It was the newspaper and crack your own type place. Great crabs!!

They decided to open the new, bigger place behind the marina area and a block away from the water. They did not last long, as the location is terrible, since people are there for the water front. I am guessing the Cajun place suffered the same malady, or at least it was a contributing factor.

Strange the restaurant wants to offer boat washing, as there is a free wash down area at the launch there as you pull out. Fisherman have it really good there, as no launch fees, no charge for parking, plus the free wash down area. And even a fish cleaning station for the lucky ones!

Cheers!

Thanks for the info on the Cajun restaurant, Island Lady! I was away from the area for a few years and this was a new building when I came home. I used to LOVE that upstairs restaurant over the marina. They had the BEST fresh grilled fish sub sandwich in the world! No one in the port has been able to recreate it (that I've found).

Like you,I am also clueless why CopperHead thinks a boat wash is valuable. Maybe it will be done by "Hooter-type gals" outside or something. One of the bartenders at the RedHead told me about this, but didn't ellaborate further.

You are welcome, Seabrz!! I miss that little crab place too...sigh... :(

Hooter girls!!! LOL!!! :D

Ok...now THAT makes sense that they would draw in the fisherman...they would be using live bait!!! :rolleyes: ;)

Cheers!

Got there about 6:45, in time for a few HH drinks, it was pouring had to wear the foul weather jackets just for in/out of truck. The weather had flushed the Grills crowd here, I guess the secret's out now. Spring Breakers were in force and the music was for them too, usually it's laid back. My group had sirloin steak (good but not outback), fried crab cakes (very good) came in squares like corn bread at first look I thought is was, fried shrimp poboy sandwich (excellent,spicy & good buy), & buffalo chicken sandwich, ordered XXX hot (had a bite could not taste much after that a while). Completely forgot to check the menu for crab legs, next time. Watched B ball rain quit then walked down to grills to see what was up, few people there it was slow & easy like it used (the tiki bar had benches empty) had a few more watched more B ball went home (didn't know they had TV under the tiki).

Archived