RC Electric current

Sailor without a boat

I was wondering if someone could clarify for me if it's neccessary to bring an electrical converter on RC or not. The brochure reccomends it, but I've seen another post that said it isn't neccessary. We only plan on charging I pods, kindles, camera batteries, etc.

If it is neccessary, which type of plug adapter is needed?

Thanks!

John

:D

You need to check if your chargers are dual voltage. I know that Apple chargers are, so all you will need is a European adapter for the outlet. It will have two round plug elements that are about an inch long & an inch apart. Should be available at most electronic stores for a couple of $'s. Most nicad & camera battery charges are also dual voltage...it will have a 110/220 mark or will say dual voltage on the charger. We didn't need a voltage converter at all for our stuff. Wife even found a dual voltage flat iron for her hair before we left.

Mike

Mike -

Do you remember whether the plugs on the Royal Clipper are the older ungrounded "type C" plug, or the new grounded type (E or F)?

My power supply is OK (100-250VAC 50/60hz), but it has a grounded 3 prong US plug on it now; If the ship has grounded outlets; I would prefer to utilze the grounding feature.

Aloha,

John

I couldn't remember if the outlets had the ground, so I looked at the cabin pics in our gallery, & it appears they did have the ground. If you enlarge the pics on your computer, it appears to have the ground, but not entirely positive by my view. The pic showing the desk next to the bed has the two outlets on the back wall above the desk.

Mike

Mike -

Thanks for the pointer to the picture! It does appear that the outlets are "Type F" (also called the "“Schuko" plug). The ground is on the contacts on the top and bottom of the outlet.

Aloha,

John

Ok, so if I go to Radio Shack looking for a Type "F" plug, they should know what that is?:D

Unfortunatly that's doubtfull :(

Here's the link to the correct part:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3932602&numProdsPerPage=60&retainProdsInSession=1#tabsetBasic

It's apparent by looking at the picture that it will work with the Type F outlet; It's not clear whether it will work with a type E..

The type E outlets are found in France, and some other countries. The hot and neutral lines are female, just like the type c/f. The ground is a male pin above the other 2 holes.

Some adapters have both the female ground in the middle, and the grounds on the edges. Without seeing the other end you can't tell!

Aloha,

John

I was wondering if someone could clarify for me if it's neccessary to bring an electrical converter on RC or not. The brochure reccomends it, but I've seen another post that said it isn't neccessary. We only plan on charging I pods, kindles, camera batteries, etc.

If it is neccessary, which type of plug adapter is needed?

Thanks!

John

:D

There is a two-prong outlet in the bathroom that is 110. It is a low amp outlet intended to power a shaver (vs. a hair dryer). It was quite adequate for recharging our phones and an iPod. It did not have a three-prong grounded outlet.

Enjoy!

Archived