Grandma needs advice!

mringenoldus

We will be traveling with one-year-old identical twins! These are the youngest children we've taken on a cruise.

I found the following information on Celebrity's site:

Toddler Time for children under age 3

Toddler time allows parents and toddlers to interact with other children their age. Staff members provide suitable toys for this age group, including LeapFrog® interactive toys. In accordance with USPH policies and standards, Celebrity has provided each ship with lavatory-based changing tables and baby wipes. Children participating in organized events must be fully potty trained; however, you can accompany your child to any organized activity if they're not.

In searching older posts, people were saying that the smaller children weren't allowed to participate with the Fun Factory activities. The statement above makes it appear that they may as long as the parent is present.

Are the twins allowed in the family pool if in swimmer diapers? (the website says no - some CC posters said yes) Is there a special pool by the Fun Factory for children on Solstice? Can they use the Wet Zone?

Are the "pack and play" cribs provided? Are there high chairs or boosters in the MDR?

Sounds like a great deal of fun!

"Toddler Time" activities is technically different than "Fun Factory" (kind of how the Fun Factory is different than the Teen Club -- some folks on the boards will lump the different programs together, but the cruise line sees them as separate programs) -- so the Toddler Time program is open to the under 3YO set with parental/grandparental present.

The last half of that statement pretty much means that if a child is interested in a particular activity, but the child is not potty trained, X gives the parents the option to allow the child to participate with the parent in attendance. With 1YOs, I'm not certain that there will be much that the 3-5YO will be doing that you would choose to have the little ones involved in.

Swim diapers are not allowed in any of the Solstice water areas (pools, hot tubs, wet zone, etc.) Some folks may have done it and "gotten away" with it, but for sanatary reasons, it is not allowed. Most cruise ships do not use the same type of treatment for the water they use in their pools as land-based resorts, hotels, etc use -- so the regulations that the ships face are much more stringent. Some folks bring inflatable splash pools for the littlest ones -- search this forum for more information to determine whether that may be a way you wish to go.

If you request them the line will provide pack-n-plays, you may want to bring your own bedding since they will use standard sheets. You may bring your own pack-n-play if you wish. High-chairs are available in all dining venues where children are welcome.

Diapers, wipes, etc are not readily available on-board or even easily available in all ports, so pack more than you expect to need. For food, you'll need any formula that the kids may still be using. The dining areas can generally provide steamed veggies and simple steamed meats, but will generally not provide "baby food" (at 1YO don't know if this will be much of an issue for your little ones). When our DD was that age, we generally just brought some baby cereal - pre-measured before dinner and asked for a bowl and hot water, then added steamed veggies and maybe some chicken breast. At 18M, she developed a friendship with our waiter who would make up vegetarian Indian dishes and he'd mash those up for her (he had a DD at home about her age and so he doted on her) - a bit spicy but she loved them!

Traveling with the toddler set can be very rewarding as long as you are willing to roll with the punches. Have a great time.

Thanks for such good information!

I am a little surprised that the children aren't allowed in the water feature. I don't know what could be the risk in that??

I will definitely check out the inflatable pool idea. I could purchase it in Fort Lauderdale and avoid hauling it on the plane.

Thanks for such good information!

I am a little surprised that the children aren't allowed in the water feature. I don't know what could be the risk in that??

I will definitely check out the inflatable pool idea. I could purchase it in Fort Lauderdale and avoid hauling it on the plane.

No diapers/swim diapers in the pool because of the health hazard from fecal contamination. There is no chlorine in the water, and if a child has an accident, the entire pool will be shut down, drained and cleaned; usually spoils the fun for everyone for at least a day. Bring a small inflatable pool.

Closed loop cruises beginning and ending in the US only require an original BC for US citizens.

Archived