Religious services on board

dodieh

Does anyone know how to find out if there are religious services available on board the Coral Princess...specifically Friday night Jewish services? In past cruises on other lines there has always been a Friday night service but we did not depart on a Friday as we are this time which may make it difficult to get the word out to other passengers.

If you're cruise is departing near the time when services begin, then I would doubt that one would take place because departure is such a busy time, plus there's the timing of the lifeboat drill. Those things might get in the way of an evening service.

Thanks, Darcie...I imagine you are right. I will check with the purser's desk anyway...maybe Saturday morning services. It will be my late husband's yahrtzeit and I had hoped to be able to say Kaddish...(this only means something to you readers of the Jewish persuasion!) I will have to be a minyon of one in my cabin:o

Thanks, Darcie...I imagine you are right. I will check with the purser's desk anyway...maybe Saturday morning services. It will be my late husband's yahrtzeit and I had hoped to be able to say Kaddish...(this only means something to you readers of the Jewish persuasion!) I will have to be a minyon of one in my cabin:o

Most cruise lines we've sailed with have Friday eve services, but as with the previous poster it becomes problematic if you depart on Friday.

Better a minyan of one then not at all. Our thoughts are with you...

Mike & Silke

on hal there was always a service conducted by a lay reader --a rabbi is onboard only during the high holidays ----as posted earlier since friday is sailaway it may not be practical -----never noticed if there was a sat am service-----------but i doubt because it is most likely a port day-

On our Celebrity cruises, when they don't have a Rabbi on board for High Holy Days, they ask if any passenger would like to conduct the services. Maybe you can contact Guest Services for your cruise line before you board and offer to conduct the service. That way, they will assign you a room, plus it will be in the boarding newsletter for anyone who's interested. There have always been quite a few who've come to the passenger conducted services. Crystal has a rabbi on every cruise. Rabbi Morris Hershman, who goes on a number of Crystal cruises, has a great daily session called "Rappin' with the Rabbi", which has become great fun.

In past cruises I have been on, there was always a room (sometimes the Library) set up with the candles, wine and challah and Prayer Books....someone would get up and lead us...we never had a Rabbi...but I have never cruised on High Holy Days. What a cushy job for the rabbi on the Crystal cruises!!....lots easier than the day to day stuff they usually have to deal with at a regular congregation! Our Senior Rabbi is retiring in 2006...I will have to suggest to him that he take such a position for fun!!

That's not a bad idea for your Rabbi because Rabbi Morris had a heart attack recently and probably won't do many cruises. Rabbi Morris did the full world cruises the past three years, 104 days each, can you imagine what a nice vacation that is?

Archived