What is New Year Weather in New Orleans?

vizzog

I have lived here my whole life and all I can say is, unpredictable. The temp can range anywhere from about 35 to 70 degrees November - March, with the better chance of being somewhere in between there, about 50 - 60 degrees in Jan. In New Orleans, the weather can change dramatically in one day, depending on if the sun comes out. Morning lows may be in the low 40's but afternoon highs can hit the mid 70's if the sun comes out. There have been many days where we would need the heater in the car in the morning and the AC in the afternoon.

October - Jan - Fog is also always possible but usually "burns" off as the sun comes out. This isn't a big issue but is possible.

I wouldn't worry to much about it. Just pack layers, nothing too heavy unless you see that there is an usual cold front that comes through (which is always possible!)

I spent New Year's Eve for 2010 in New Orleans. It was cold enough to wear a light jacket. We watched the ball drop over Jackson Brewery and I didn't want to wear a bulky jacket. Instead, I wore thermal top and leggings, a light fleece sweater with jeans, boots, gloves, hat and scarf. During the day, I think we were able to do just a light sweater. At night, the temp drops lower and it can be chilly with the wind coming off the river in the quarter. I took a dress to wear dancing - but it was short and I decided that it was too cold to not have my legs covered in the evening.

Archived