What exactly is "Ranch" Steak?

Ok - I've read about the dreaded "ranch" steak on many of your posts over the past few weeks but I've not really seen a definition of what it is. Is it a tough, leathery steak (like the one's I've had in Mexico? :eek: ) or is it a steak with a ranch dressing flavor that is really disgusting?!? I've got to know before I go on my cruise and order a "Ranch Steak Medium Rare, please". ;)

turtlegirl2

Majesty of the Seas

July 25-29, 2005

What is ranch steak - DISGUSTING! It didn't taste like steak when I had it a few years ago, it was tough(Dont know if it was ranch dressing or i was invisioning it, i ordered somthing else after one bite!)

However, they did have somthing like it on the Legend, just renamed, so USE CAUTION!

Ok - I've read about the dreaded "ranch" steak on many of your posts over the past few weeks but I've not really seen a definition of what it is. Is it a tough, leathery steak (like the one's I've had in Mexico? :eek: ) or is it a steak with a ranch dressing flavor that is really disgusting?!? I've got to know before I go on my cruise and order a "Ranch Steak Medium Rare, please". ;)

turtlegirl2

Majesty of the Seas

July 25-29, 2005

Before our last RCL cruise Jan-2204, I had read all about this "ranch steak". So, being a huge steak person I decided to order it one night. There are basically 3 types of meat quaility Prime, Choice, and Good. Lets just say, that after one taste of this "shoe leather" tasting meat Iam not to sure my cocker-spaniel would eat it. But hey the gentlemen at the next table ordered it and when out of curiosity I asked him how he liked his steak he replied " not bad". So, I guess one mans cra*** is another mans feast.

Before our last RCL cruise Jan-2204, I had read all about this "ranch steak". So, being a huge steak person I decided to order it one night. There are basically 3 types of meat quaility Prime, Choice, and Good. Lets just say, that after one taste of this "shoe leather" tasting meat Iam not to sure my cocker-spaniel would eat it. But hey the gentlemen at the next table ordered it and when out of curiosity I asked him how he liked his steak he replied " not bad". So, I guess one mans cra*** is another mans feast.

Of course I met 2004. I hope by 2204 that RCL has taken it off the menu.

You should have seen the New York Strip Steak we were served on the Mariner a few weeks ago. It didn't taste that bad but it was probably the worst looking steak we have ever been served on land or sea. It was thin and looked like it had been pounded out. It was a few notches below Texas Roadhouse quality.:)

I think you have to go to Chops to get a decent steak onboard a RCI ship these days. This is OK. The DR food is generally pretty good. They're just a little weak in the meat dept.

You should have seen the New York Strip Steak we were served on the Mariner a few weeks ago. It didn't taste that bad but it was probably the worst looking steak we have ever been served on land or sea. It was thin and looked like it had been pounded out. It was a few notches below Texas Roadhouse quality.:)

I think you have to go to Chops to get a decent steak onboard a RCI ship these days. This is OK. The DR food is generally pretty good. They're just a little weak in the meat dept.

Thats funny and so true. The meat quality to me is the biggest difference between 10 years ago on RCL and now. So in July, I will be going to Chops with or without the wife ( who doesn't eat meat).

Definitely go to Chops if you want a decent steak. On the Navigator their cuts were excellent and tender, and this from someone who usually doesn't eat steak.

If its as good as the Hereford House I will be happy. Hope the weather starts improving there in Prairie Village. When is your next cruise?

Hi Don! You know how we in the KC area pride ourselves on knowing a good cut of steak! :D Hereford House would get top honors over Chops, but it was still a pretty good steak.

65 here today, but it's all downhill for the rest of the week. Nothing planned yet. I'm looking for a new career so my cruise addiction isn't being fed until I find one. Of course, I'm always looking at what's available and plotting how to convince DH that he really needs another vacation. ;)

Hi Don! You know how we in the KC area pride ourselves on knowing a good cut of steak! :D Hereford House would get top honors over Chops, but it was still a pretty good steak.

65 here today, but it's all downhill for the rest of the week. Nothing planned yet. I'm looking for a new career so my cruise addiction isn't being fed until I find one. Of course, I'm always looking at what's available and plotting how to convince DH that he really needs another vacation. ;)

Maybe iam crazy, but it seems like the K.C. good steakhouses of 30 years ago have either gone downhill,out-of business, or gone the way of the national "chains". Last year when visiting my brother, we went to the Golden Ox that opened in Overland Park. Horrible-had to send it back- My brother and I agreed they would be out of business in 6 months and yes they were.

The dreaded Ranch steak was presented as a NY Strip Steak on the Navigator last week.:( The alternate menu had a Black Angus that was pretty good, :) but stay away from the so called NY Strip Steak.

Having not been on a cruise since 1990, i too wondered what the ranch steak was all about. thanks for the warning. now, my 2 cents:

If the cruise lines follow the USDA rules, you should always order Black Angus, Angus Select, Hereford, etc. Essentially, "Prime" cuts no longer exist. Everything that is not somehow connected to a breed of beef will be Choice or Select. I don't know enough about it to explain how the Black Angus cuts get categorized, but I'm relating what i read in one of my favorite cookbooks, Cowboy in the Kitchen by Grady Spears. Well, now that i'm completely off topic, i must say that this is one of the best darn cookbooks i've ever read. Shoot, i'm hungry now.

Definitely go to Chops if you want a decent steak. On the Navigator their cuts were excellent and tender, and this from someone who usually doesn't eat steak.

Agree, they were WONDERFUL!!!! Well worth the $$$, in fact, we estimated our bill based on the cost of Mortons and tipped our servers appropriately :D :D

###

Archived