Uniworld Enchanting Danube June 2011

MsBatt

We did it; booked Uniworld's Enchanting Danube for June 12, 2011, and I have to say we are quite excited. This will be our first river cruise, and that goes for the two other couples we are traveling with on the cruise. We are also going to spend several days in Prague before the cruise and a few in Budapest post cruise. We are not going to use the Uniworld packages, so I am going to start the hotel, transfer and day tours research shortly. I hope anyone else going will post here as well. And thanks to the links I already have from past travelers.

We are doing this cruise in april 2011 so I will post a report when we get back. We are starting in Passau and ending in Budapest. We are taking the Uniworld Prague extension but will probably two and extra day or 2 on our own in Budapest. I don't want to have to try and negotiate getting from Prague to Passau. We have 5 couples going with us. We have done 2 Uniworld cruises, Castles on the Rhine and Burgundy & Provence. Both were wonderfull.:)

Doing it on your own is probably fine as long as you have transfers from Prague to Passau. It's quite a ways. About 3 1/2 hours - We booked our extension through Uniworld and our stay in the Imperial Art Deco was great - nice rooms - great amenities -wonderful breakfast buffet and the coinerge was very helpful in getting opera tickets and his recommendations for restaurants were good.

When you use Uniworld for the Prague extension, what is the transportation from Prague to Passau, do you go by bus? We are taking this trip on April 17, 2011. I have been planning on doing the extensions (both in Prague & Budapest) on our own. I am still in the planning stages, so things change from day to day! Currently thinking that we will fly to Prague, take the train to Munich from Prague (it's about 6 hrs), spend a few days in Munich and take advantage of Uniworlds transfer to Passau from there. We will add on a few days in Budapest and fly back from there. That's the plan for today anyway :)

We are 3 couples and I am going to arrange a minivan/driver/guide from Prague to Passau, planning a stop in Cesky Krumlov on the way. Right now I am doing research on Prague hotels, we would like to stay in the old town section. If anyone has a recommendation, other than the one that Uniworld uses for it's pre-cruise package, I would be most interested.

Please see my two part review at

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1215740&highlight= for the Uniworld extension info for Prague (including the trip to Passau) and our use of a private guide in Prague and for Cesky Kremlov. We were on the RB late May-early June this year. You will love it all!!

Thank you, DiamondDiva, I had read your excellent report earlier I realized when looking over it again. I am going to send it to my traveling companions, it does make the trip 'pop'. Looking forward to it even though it is still months away.

• 4 weeks later...

We did use Uniworld's transport which was by bus to Passau. Very Efficent. If you stay at the Art Deco, when you have breakfast, make a sandwich and grap some fruit. We did not do that but saw other passengers with some snacks grapped from the breakfast buffet and wished we had done it also. It's not because you're starving but just something to have along.

Archived