Australian Costa Cruisers

katkell

I am trying to acquire info on Visa requirements, specifically for Australian passport holders.

My questions are as follows, and before anyone says to check the individual embassies I would like to know the experiences of other Australian cruisegoers:

Israel: Do we need to pre arrange visas

Egypt: Do we need to pre arrange visas

There has been a lot said about Visas on Cruise critic. Unfortunately most of these posts are from citizens of USA & UK. I cannot find specific information for Australian travellers. I have visitied the websites of these embassies but still am no closer to finding what our specfiic requirements are.

Costa Cruises Aust (Costa Cruises Asia) states that they should be pre-arranged, but I have read on the boards that when you are on Board that it is organised for you. I am not having much luck with emailing Costa direct and the travel agency doesn't give you Visa information, only links.

Are there any Aussies out there that have travelled with Costa to these two destinations in particular that can provide first hand information.

Thanks

We travelled through the Middle East on Costa Allegra in April this year, calling at three Egyptian ports, and we did not obtain a visa ahead of the cruise.

I'm not sure how it all happens, but Costa obtained the necessary visa on our behalf and we collected our passports the night before arrival in each port. It made no difference whether we were doing a Costa tour, or just disembarking and doing our own thing.

We did not visit Israel, so I cannot comment on what happens there.

Thanks for that, but how did you know Costa would do that? Or did you just take a chance that they would do that. I have checked on the Visa Link site above and Turkey is the one that says you need a visa. Egypt you can get on arrival and Israel is no problem either. It is very confusing and thats why I started this topic hoping for personal experience from other Australian cruisers.

I just have to find out about Turkey now.

Cheers

Be careful about "secondhand" information about visa requirements.

Either check with your own foreign ministry or the embassy of the country you are planning to visit or get it in writing from Costa.

Visa requirements can change over night.

Ron

Sorry, I didn't explain myself very well first time around. We had checked the website of the Egyptian embassy Canberra in advance, and also the visalink site, and those had indicated that visas would be made available at the port.

I totally agree with Blu*Donau though; the situation can change very quickly and I was a little uneasy until it all just happened when we arrived in Egypt.

I too have checked the embassy websites and decided to contact Costa direct and ask, here is the answer i received:

Greetings from Costa!

In relation of the below enquiry, please check the following:

EGYPT

1. PAX IN TRANSIT, going ashore for tourist visit during vessel stay in port

Visa NOT required except for nationalities listed below. See exceptions (*), applicable only in case of transit.

Citizens of the following countries are required to be in possession of a pre-arrival ENTRY VISA. (*)However, ship might coordinate with port agency in order to allow them (except for Iraq, Iran, Israel and Palestine) for a quick trip stamp (free of charge) in order to be able to join the excursions. Issue of the “Quick Trip Stamp” is subject to final decision of the authorities after check of documents on board.

Afghanistan, Algeria, Bangladesh, Barbados, Bosnia, Burundi, Chad, China, Costa Rica, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Ghana, Guatemala, Lebanon, India, Indonesia, Iraq, Iran, Israel, Liberia, Mali, Moldavia, Mongolia, Morocco, Myanmar, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palestine, Philippines, Rwanda, Sierra Leon, Somalia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Sudan,Thailand, Trinidad & Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Uzbekistan, Vietnam.

(**) Visa required except for nationals of:

Baharain, Guinea Rep., Qwait, Libya, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Yemen Rep.

NOTES /

Ø Visa for Embarking and Disembarking passengers in Egyptian ports, can be obtained upon arrival/departure except for the following nationals of:

Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Armenia, Azerbaijian, Bangladesh, Belarus, Bosnia-Erzegovina, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde Isl., Central African Rep., Chad, Comores Isl., China, Congo, Costa Rica, Cote D’avoire, Djibuti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea Bissau, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Kenya, Kazakhastan, Korea Rep., Kosovo Rep., Kjrjistan, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Moldova Rep., Mongolia, Morocco, Monzabique, Myanmar, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palestine, Philippines, Sierra Leon, Somalia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Swaziland, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Togo, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Uganda, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Zambia, Zimbawe.

Ø Guests in transit, not in posses of pre-arrival Visa, when required, might not be allowed to go ashore but will be authorised to stay on board the vessel during her stay in port.

Ø “Quick Trip Stamp” may be issued also for passengers not joining Costa excursions. Authorization is always subject to final decision of the Immigration Offcers after check of documents on board.

TURKEY 1. PAX IN TRANSIT, going ashore for tourist visit during vessel stay in port

Visa is NOT required.

PLS NOTE THE ABOVE INFORMATION IS ONLY FOR YOUR GENERAL REFERENCES, it is strongly recommended to contact your local Consular Authority in order to ascertain visa requirement, If any guest does not process the required documentation they will be denied boarding their cruise and cancellation penalties will be applied.

cheers,

donne

Costa Pacific Asia Operations (PAO)

Costa Crociere S.p.A. - Shanghai Representative Office

1115, Building One, Corporate Avenue, No. 222 HuBin Road

200021 Shanghai

http://www.costacruisesasia.com

Yes it can all change, but we will be guided by the above, I haven't read any adverse comments on the boards here about not being able to board the ship without having the correct visas.

Cheers

Archived