Artemis.

bcscot

I have never sailed with P&O, other than the Channel Ferries & the 'St. Clair' to Shetland. I like classic old ships & have made the effort over the last few years, to sail on as many of these that I could, while they have still been in service. I have managed to sail on QE2, Saga Rose, Saga Ruby, Black Watch, Regal Empress & not quite so old, Prinsendam & Mercury. I also stayed on board Queen Mary in Long Beach & visited the Mona Lisa (Kungsholm/Victoria) during the Vancouver Winter Olympics.

I have heard a lot about the Artemis, which seems to have been a much loved ship, in all her guises. I saw her in Southampton as we left on QE2, for that ship's final British Isles cruise. A wonderful whistle exchange ensued! I have wondered about the possibility of booking on a leg of the Asian cruise, next year, before Artemis is retired from the fleet. I have, however, been reading some very negative reviews on these boards. Although I realise how subjective these reports can be, they do seem to be consistently quite bad, highlighting engine problems with missed port calls, poor food & service, a general sense of decay & neglect in this ship during her final months in the fleet & a feeling that she is 'past her expiry date'.

I know that there are many on this board who love this ship & have cruised on her often. I would be most grateful for any objective comments by those who either know her well or have recently sailed on her. I want to hear that these reports are false, because I would very much like to sail on this ship, but would prefer to know if the on board experience has declined to the point of no longer being a quality experience. I would be reluctant to commit my wife to a long cruise on a shabby vessel, with poor food & service She enjoyed the Regal Empress, although that was only for two days! She was not so keen on the Black Watch (although I did like this ship).

Thank you for your opinions & guidance in this matter. :)

I cruised on Artemis in February this year in the Caribbean, yes she is looking a little old but only externally. Internally she looked good, not new, just good. We had an ocean view cabin which we kept as a twin to save the climbing over each other. The food was excellent, the sun decks had lots of space, the service was also good. I had one minor gripe, and it is minor. The safe in the cabin appeared to be a reasonable size, but when opened was only about 2 inches deep and not very practicle. I would rebook in a flash but other cruises and lack of time precludes me.

We went on the QE2 during her last few months of service. I know we only had a lowly outside cabin in the bow but it was truly awful (more like a hospital cell) and well past its sell by date. The public areas were OK. Service was impeccable. We had a lovely cruise on her.

On the Artemis last year, the cabin (cheapest balcony) was far better than the QE2 and the public areas were lovely. We had a superb cruise on her. Once again, service was impeccable.

If you like older cruise ships, then you know what to expect. I think you would be pleasantly surprised.

Thank you both for your input. I suppose that my biggest worry is the engine problems, with missed ports of call. I have not heard if this problem has yet been resolved.

Bcscot,

I was beginning to worry that the engine problems wouldn't be sorted out for when I take my parents on Artemis in 3 months time for the pre-Christmas cruise and, perhaps worse, in time for the final voyage I am on in April :eek:

However, P&O carried out some fairly major repairs on Artemis' defective engine and fitted some new parts earlier this year. Since that time there have been no reports of the return of the engine problems so it does appear that the problem has been addressed to an extent that it is no longer affecting the performance of the ship.

I am looking forward to going on Artemis in December and again in April to say goodbye to what is a lovely ship and which has given me excellent memories over the last couple of years.

I am sure if you do book a cruise on Artemis you will not be disappointed.

Feebee_71

Archived