Will I be bored on the Rhapsody of the Seas?

Hi all,

I am looking into going on the Rhapsody to Alaska with my friend, mom, and grandparents sometime in summer 2012, and I would like to know if I my friend and I would be bored while at sea. My friend and I are in our early teens, and I would like to go on the Rhapsody with him to celebrate our 10th Anniversary of Friendship. The reasons why I decided on the Rhapsody are: 1) I went on the ship about 10 years ago, and I didn't get to enjoy because I was only a few years old, so now I want to go on her. And 2) Her departure port is in Seattle, and we live in the Seattle area, so that means it's cheaper without the airfare cost. Any help and advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

—samoyedlover24

There is stuff to do for all ages on every ship.

It will depend on when you sail, if you sail during the school year might be a little quiet for a teenager. During the summer with more kids out of school, there will be more teens. It's going to depend on you, and what you like doing. But I'm sure you will have a good time no matter what. I cruised my only time at 20, shared a cabin with my parents. I really wasn't looking forward to the trip, I just needed a vacation and they offered to pay so I went. I had an absolute blast. Met a friend and we hung out together. Because we were both under 21 we didn't drink, and we didn't make use of any of the teen stuff because we were too old. But we still had a good time.

Go with the flow and find things that look like fun.

daze

There is stuff to do for all ages on every ship.

It will depend on when you sail, if you sail during the school year might be a little quiet for a teenager. During the summer with more kids out of school, there will be more teens. It's going to depend on you, and what you like doing. But I'm sure you will have a good time no matter what. I cruised my only time at 20, shared a cabin with my parents. I really wasn't looking forward to the trip, I just needed a vacation and they offered to pay so I went. I had an absolute blast. Met a friend and we hung out together. Because we were both under 21 we didn't drink, and we didn't make use of any of the teen stuff because we were too old. But we still had a good time.

Go with the flow and find things that look like fun.

daze

Perfect answer, daze. Exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks!

—samoyedlover24

We just returned from Alaska. There was a lot to do throughout the morning, afternoon and evening. They have activities for all ages plus the shows and gambling. You may see a lot of poor ratings for Rhapsody but we can only give the ship and crew 5+ on everything. They go out of their way to make your vacation fun.

We just returned from Alaska. There was a lot to do throughout the morning, afternoon and evening. They have activities for all ages plus the shows and gambling. You may see a lot of poor ratings for Rhapsody but we can only give the ship and crew 5+ on everything. They go out of their way to make your vacation fun.

Thank you for your helpful opinions and advice!

—samoyedlover24

Send an email to hst_dan@yahoo.com and I'll send the daily Compass for our cruise on Rhapsody to Alaska last year. The programs will change but it may help answer your question.

Let me add a little here. We went on the Alaska cruise alone but this year we went on a New England cruise with our 16 year old daughter. Both cruises went north instead of the traditional south to a nice island. I would say that on both cruises, more passengers were older than us (~50). But don't let that make you think you won't have fun. Our daughter loved the teen program. There is plenty for the teens as well as the 50+ group. Just go into it with a positive mindset. You can dance to modern stuff in one location while they do their thing in a different location.

Let me add a little here. We went on the Alaska cruise alone but this year we went on a New England cruise with our 16 year old daughter. Both cruises went north instead of the traditional south to a nice island. I would say that on both cruises, more passengers were older than us (~50). But don't let that make you think you won't have fun. Our daughter loved the teen program. There is plenty for the teens as well as the 50+ group. Just go into it with a positive mindset. You can dance to modern stuff in one location while they do their thing in a different location.

Thanks for your comments!

—samoyedlover24

There was nothing wrong with the ship. The majority of ports were amazing!! (They don't stop in Prince Rupert anymore...) BUT we got bored at times. We were 27 and 30 at the time...The ship was pretty much dead after 9 pm. I wouldn't consider it a bad cruise or anything. I would probably do it again. :)

Alaska is such a different cruise from the Caribbean. You go to see the stunning sights and visit some very unique ports. My daughter had many a grand trip to Alaska and multiple cruises on the Rhapsody out of Galveston.

You will have a grand time, but yes, it will be a bit quiet at night. Too much going on in port and most are simply tired and ready to prepare for the next day.

Lovely city, Seattle. :D

My wife and I always said we were too young to take an Alaskan cruise. That will give you an idea of the age of the majority of the people on the ship. As stated before, you will have the ship to yourself after a certain time, because most will be in bed. The Viking Crowne Longe might be a good spot to gather since it operates as a disco. Not sure if they have an age requirement because it is also a bar. But you could try under the premise that you are here to dance or listen to music.

I sailed Rhapsody to Alaska last August and the ship was not dead at all at night. Many passengers were dancing and drinking into the early morning hours. That being said, it was still a different atmosphere and it wasn't always my idea of a good time... but there was always something to do and someone doing what was offered.

Alaska is beautiful and as long as you go into it with an open mind and positive attitude, you'll have a great time. I'm sure you'll find other teens on board but at least you'll have a friend with you.

I sailed Rhapsody to Alaska last August and the ship was not dead at all at night. Many passengers were dancing and drinking into the early morning hours. That being said, it was still a different atmosphere and it wasn't always my idea of a good time... but there was always something to do and someone doing what was offered.

Alaska is beautiful and as long as you go into it with an open mind and positive attitude, you'll have a great time. I'm sure you'll find other teens on board but at least you'll have a friend with you.

Thanks for the excellent advice! I do hope that my friend and I will get to celebrate our Friendship Anniversary onboard a cruise ship, whether it be to Alaska or not. Right now, I'm leaning toward Alaska because we won't have to pay for airfare. Again, thanks for the good advice!

—samoyedlover24

Hi all,

I am looking into going on the Rhapsody to Alaska with my friend, mom, and grandparents sometime in summer 2012, and I would like to know if I my friend and I would be bored while at sea. My friend and I are in our early teens, and I would like to go on the Rhapsody with him to celebrate our 10th Anniversary of Friendship. The reasons why I decided on the Rhapsody are: 1) I went on the ship about 10 years ago, and I didn't get to enjoy because I was only a few years old, so now I want to go on her. And 2) Her departure port is in Seattle, and we live in the Seattle area, so that means it's cheaper without the airfare cost. Any help and advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

—samoyedlover24

Hi samoyedlover24

Now that you have reached your early teens and you will be 2 yrs older in 2012 you will have gained much more maturity. It's true when you were just a few years old the first time on the Rhapsody of the Seas, your appreciation of the experience of cruising was (as is to be expected) limited and not fully appreciated. The fact that you are even thinking of going and it's only 2010 shows you have dreams and what better way to see the world than a cruise. Alaska has something for everyone young and old and when your level of interest has peeked you'll find you will want to cruise again. Be open minded NEVER CLOSE IT besides it's in the summer, you and your friend will meet others your age from other countries, meet and make new friends. Look upon it as an adventure and one that will give you great memories.

You may be young my friend, but you are wiser than you think. When you referred to the Port of Seatle and it would be cheaper flying to the port of departure tells me you are also a planner and a thinker.

Take advantage of your youth and this opportunity to travel with your mom and grandparents. I believe once you have taken the cruise you'll know of what I speak. Don't forget your camera.:)

"AH YOUTH --- WE GROW OLD TOO FAST"

Goodluck, Be Happy, Stay Young & Happy Sailing Mate.

Grillszybear

Hi samoyedlover24

Now that you have reached your early teens and you will be 2 yrs older in 2012 you will have gained much more maturity. It's true when you were just a few years old the first time on the Rhapsody of the Seas, your appreciation of the experience of cruising was (as is to be expected) limited and not fully appreciated. The fact that you are even thinking of going and it's only 2010 shows you have dreams and what better way to see the world than a cruise. Alaska has something for everyone young and old and when your level of interest has peeked you'll find you will want to cruise again. Be open minded NEVER CLOSE IT besides it's in the summer, you and your friend will meet others your age from other countries, meet and make new friends. Look upon it as an adventure and one that will give you great memories.

You may be young my friend, but you are wiser than you think. When you referred to the Port of Seatle and it would be cheaper flying to the port of departure tells me you are also a planner and a thinker.

Take advantage of your youth and this opportunity to travel with your mom and grandparents. I believe once you have taken the cruise you'll know of what I speak. Don't forget your camera.:)

"AH YOUTH --- WE GROW OLD TOO FAST"

Goodluck, Be Happy, Stay Young & Happy Sailing Mate.

Grillszybear

Thank you for your kind and knowledgeable comments and advice. When I read your post, it changed my whole view of the cruise I would like to take, in a good way, that is. :) I will think of you if I ever think I'll be bored on a cruise. Thanks again!

—samoyedlover24

Archived