cove balcony?

6a00d83476d41669e20120a7d39e8a970b-piThis is a picture I found and on the Magic they will be located on the main deck. I think I would like one of them on my next cruise. I hope this helps. If the weather is rough, they do have a door to seal out the water if the waves are too high. Carnival is the first cruise line to add balconies in the steel hull of the ship, below the string of lifeboats, on a passenger deck, left, about 20-25 feet above the water line. The concept was tested on the hull of the Queen Mary 2 (Cunard is owned by Carnival) and now is used for most of Deck 2 on the Carnival Dream.

Until the Dream, passengers in outside cabins on lower decks have had to make do with windows and portholes, which allow some outside light to filter inside, but aren’t worth much for viewing the outside world.

Carnival Dream’s cove balconies on Deck 2 do not hang out of the ship, as balconies seem to do on higher decks, but instead are chiseled into it -- holes in the steel hull big enough for an open window about six feet wide. The balcony easily holds two deck chairs and a side table. See picture below, right. The balcony door from the cabin can be sealed off by a more watertight door in an emergency.

• 11 months later...

Can you open the cove balconies so that they are connected? My family of 6 is planning to sail next summer. Our staterooms arent connected but it would be nice if the balconies could be. Anyone know? We are new to this cruising thing.

Can you open the cove balconies so that they are connected? My family of 6 is planning to sail next summer. Our staterooms arent connected but it would be nice if the balconies could be. Anyone know? We are new to this cruising thing.

If the rooms are not connected the balcony's can connect. You will have to go to desk services and ask.

Here is a pic of the two opened up on the Magic.

291969_234747899903041_100001034988603_756026_6740897_n.jpg

P1000587.JPG

P1000573.JPG

Some have argued no...but i have seen several pictures in my research of the Cove's that do have them opened. I believe it's up to the steward whether they will do it for you.

I asked this question specifically early last week. The official response is no, they are not to be opened. However, as a few folks have said, occasionally, the cabin stewards DO open them.

Advice from Carnival... go expecting them to not be opened but don't hesitate to ask. You may be pleasantly surprised.

:)

Archived