What to do in Progreso?

Besides the beach in Progreso, there is a small zoo in Merida with a small lake, row boats and a train to ride. That way you could have time to explore the historical zone and the zoo.

Keep reading this board and also checkout http://www.yucatantoday.com and excellent visitor's guide. Can't believe that just two weeks ago, I spent the day in Merida.

Local bus is $3.00 RT.

If they want to see a pyramid you can take the excursion to Chichen Itza or Uxmal. Even when I was very young I begged my parents to take me to historic places. That may be a possibility. You could search for photos and show them to see if interested.

Otherwise, beach, zoo or shopping would be possibilities.

Can't suggest what to do, but I'll tell you what not to do. We just got back from Carnival Elation 9/11 cruise, and we stopped for a day in Progresso. After reading suggestions, our group of 10 hired a small bus to take us into Merida. The round trip was only $100 for all of us in an air conditioned bus, so that wasn't bad. The drive took about 45 minutes and we saw a McDonalds, a Sam's Club, and a car dealership - felt like we were still in America.

When we arrived in Merida our driver (who spoke very little English and offered no information on the area) dropped us off in what he called "Central Park." It was a town square with a landscaped area surrounded by city streets. We walked along the streets in the attempt to shop, but found that the prices were much higher than in the shops just off the ship port. We were constantly hounded by child street vendors to buy bracelets and blankets - and they didn't take no for an answer!

There were very few shops to choose from and very little architecture or culture to see. We spend a dollar to use a bathroom and after an hour we just sat on a park bench (next to an AIDS testing station) and waited in the heat for our bus driver to come back for us.

We also ran into a couple of older ladies who had taken the Carnival shopping excursion into Merida and they were more than ready to go back to the ship, too! I felt very sorry for them sitting out in the heat just waiting on their bus.

We all felt that it was a massive waste of money and 3.5 hours!

We took the AutoProgreso tour to the Dzib ruins and had a great time. Our tour guide pointed out things of interest on the way also. After the tour of the ruins, we had about an hour to swim in the ceynote at Dzib before the bus left to take us back to Progreso.. After the hot day this was wonderful. Very shallow on one end and deeper on the other. Before departing for Dzib we took the double decker bus tour for $2 or $3 dollars-my daughter and I were the only ones onboard at that time so the driver took his time and really explained things and stopped plenty long for us to take all the photos we wanted. We shopped at the market where the tour busses depart from and prices were very reasonable. Our only complaint about Progreso was that when we were on the beach we were constantly being approached by vendors selling everything from hats to massages. It was impossible to relax in a beach chair because as soon as one left here came someone else. That's when we gave up and just walked around town.

We enjoyed the Autoprogresso tour to Merida...The guide took us through the historic section of old homes that have been purchased, refurbished and most have been turned commercial but the ambience is still there. We saw several historic monuments and visited the cathedral which i beieve is the oldest or one of the oldest in the western hemisphere. Had time to see the government buidings, shop and grab a bite to eat. We did enjoy our trip. Our guide was knowledgeable and informative.

We went 2 years ago with several kids. We just went to the beach and sat around. The kids swam and looked for shells. They also took a banana boat ride. They had a great time and talk about that day still. We sat a little ways down the beach so we were not to close to the Corona Beach Party. It looked like those people were having fun but not for the kids. Maybe we will do that sometime when we don't had the young ones with us. Oh, I forgot we also took the $2 dollar tour on the double decker bus around town. I think it is $3 now. That was really fun as well.

I think with kids they will want to do stuff, rather than just walk around and look at stuff. Most of the activities available involve some driving so take that into consideration. A trip to Uxmal Mayan ruins can be fun if they are at all interested, because they can walk around the ruins and actually climb some of the structures and spot giant iguanas. On the way there, there is a market in Uman you can stop at to explore the weird and wonderful sights and smells. I recommend buying fruit, bread and whatever tickles your fancy to taste things. Also, there is a visitable hacienda where you can have a good lunch on the way back, where the kids can swim. Also, near there and on the way back, is a small out-of-the-way cenote where they will be very happy to swim as well in the underground cave. They will talk about this day for a long time!

Happy planning!

Can't suggest what to do, but I'll tell you what not to do. We just got back from Carnival Elation 9/11 cruise, and we stopped for a day in Progresso. After reading suggestions, our group of 10 hired a small bus to take us into Merida. The round trip was only $100 for all of us in an air conditioned bus, so that wasn't bad. The drive took about 45 minutes and we saw a McDonalds, a Sam's Club, and a car dealership - felt like we were still in America.

When we arrived in Merida our driver (who spoke very little English and offered no information on the area) dropped us off in what he called "Central Park." It was a town square with a landscaped area surrounded by city streets. We walked along the streets in the attempt to shop, but found that the prices were much higher than in the shops just off the ship port. We were constantly hounded by child street vendors to buy bracelets and blankets - and they didn't take no for an answer!

There were very few shops to choose from and very little architecture or culture to see. We spend a dollar to use a bathroom and after an hour we just sat on a park bench (next to an AIDS testing station) and waited in the heat for our bus driver to come back for us.

We also ran into a couple of older ladies who had taken the Carnival shopping excursion into Merida and they were more than ready to go back to the ship, too! I felt very sorry for them sitting out in the heat just waiting on their bus.

I think this poster just had bad luck with their guide/driver and also didn't have their senses sharpened. To be in the center of Merida and say that there was not much architecture or culture to be observed is just crazy. The little kids selling stuff are not from the Yucatan, they are from Chiapas, and are trucked in and deposited on street corners to sell their woven goods, all of which are ridiculously cheap and make great gifts to take home. A handwoven bracelet for less than a dollar; buy several and hand them out to friends back home. The cathedral is the oldest in North America and probably the largest as well. They were sitting next to it and didn't pop in for a look? The state government building has a room full of murals on the second floor that is open to the public. These depict the history of the Yucatan by a well-known local painter. Didn't see that either? Montejos house, the founder of Merida and whose home is now a bank has the most amazing stone sculptures on the facade. Missed that too? Plus a gazillion more details that would take forever to mention in one post.

This is not Disneyland folks. Open your eyes and ears. Set your tastebuds on 'alert'. Open your mind.

Happy planning!:)

Well, I can say that I followed the suggestions I received and went to Merida and it was one of the highlights of our trip.....The cathedral was amazing......the art murals were beautiful and we had fun walking around in the square.....and we were not approached ONE TIME by anyone asking us to buy anything.....we didn't hire a bus driver, we rode the local bus over and back and even though we were the only "whites" on the bus, we had a wonderful time, especially trying to communicate with an elderly lady (my spanish was in high school and very, very much forgotten...LOL).....She and I both were laughing before it was over, but I finally got what she was trying to tell me:D.......When we returned to the ship that night our tablemates told us how bored they had been that day wandering in town and on the beach.....we described what we had done and they were quite envious......

I guess it's all in how you look at it.....I like to experience other cultures and see the "real" people and places and not just the touristy/commercial areas....To each his own I guess, but I would go back to Merida in a heartbeat!

Besides the beach in Progreso, there is a small zoo in Merida with a small lake, row boats and a train to ride. That way you could have time to explore the historical zone and the zoo.

Keep reading this board and also checkout http://www.yucatantoday.com and excellent visitor's guide. Can't believe that just two weeks ago, I spent the day in Merida.

Local bus is $3.00 RT.

Well we are going to take the double decker bus and then head to local shopping a couple of streets back then grab some sitting by beach time. My family would have my hide if I took them to the ruins. My family doesnt care about the history of the Mayans/city/etc. other than bits and pieces as needed. If were just husband and I it would be a maybe. but we will be in progressive on the 13 of this month. Wish us luck.. I really want to enjoy this port...

Well we are going to take the double decker bus and then head to local shopping a couple of streets back then grab some sitting by beach time. My family would have my hide if I took them to the ruins. My family doesnt care about the history of the Mayans/city/etc. other than bits and pieces as needed. If were just husband and I it would be a maybe. but we will be in progressive on the 13 of this month. Wish us luck.. I really want to enjoy this port...

Progreso will be whatever you make of it. It is not a glitzy resort town by any means but there are many things you can enjoy. The DD bus is a don't miss. There is a lighthouse in town and several markets that we enjoyed shopping at. We were bothered a bit more while sitting on the beach by people wanting to sell us things but they weren't aggressive. My 22 year old daughter and I walked all over town and we did not feel out of place or afraid. And she was wearing a St. Louis Cardinal Tshirt (we live in

Missouri) and it drew several remarks froom the locals about being fans of Mark McGuire. ;)

We will be there in January and with 14 year old boys I doubt they will want to see ruins. I suspect the beach will be too chilly for me so not sure what we will do. The ship excursions are so $$$$. Is the town right there where the ship docks? I woundnt mind walking around a bit to explore but dont want to get too far from the ship.

I think with kids they will want to do stuff, rather than just walk around and look at stuff. Most of the activities available involve some driving so take that into consideration. A trip to Uxmal Mayan ruins can be fun if they are at all interested, because they can walk around the ruins and actually climb some of the structures and spot giant iguanas. On the way there, there is a market in Uman you can stop at to explore the weird and wonderful sights and smells. I recommend buying fruit, bread and whatever tickles your fancy to taste things. Also, there is a visitable hacienda where you can have a good lunch on the way back, where the kids can swim. Also, near there and on the way back, is a small out-of-the-way cenote where they will be very happy to swim as well in the underground cave. They will talk about this day for a long time!

Happy planning!

Hi! Your post caught my attention. I will be traveling with 4 college students in January and we stop in Progresso. I'm trying to find something for them to do and the underground caves sound great. Can you give me a few details on where to find them?

Thanks soooo much!!

Progresso was one of our ports in August and we arranged to do a combination tour with Robert-known locally as Pablo- Pablo's Crater Tours. He is an English speaking guide with 20 years experience. He was fabulous! We did a combo tour including the salt flats to see the flamingos, Xcambo ruins, followed by a stop at the beach for a few hours. Highly recommend him.

August 2010 - I posted this on another thread, but since you asked, here is my thought:

We wanted to see a bit of the "back country" in the Yucatan. We have done the ‘cruise ship group’ tours and wanted to get away from the herd mentality of the bus as well as seeing some small towns and lesser-known sites.

William Lawson (lawson_william@hotmail.com) met us promptly as planned after we got off of the bus from the cruise ship – the ‘DOCK’ is 5 miles long and the ship is at the end of it!! With his nice clean and air/conditioned car, we headed out on the 'convent route' and to the Mayapan ruins

Our first stop was at Acanceh. In the main plaza photos were taken of the pyramid right in town, the local colonial-era buildings and we enjoyed the sights and delicious smells of the market. The church was also on the agenda. Then, on the way back out of town we stopped at a tortilleria, where they were making fresh corn tortillas and the very friendly owner gave us permission to step behind the counter and take photos of the corn grinding process and to see how the fresh tortillas are cut and baked in gas fired ovens. I bought a half-kilo of tortillas, which the owner graciously declined to charge for (but I paid him anyway) and we enjoyed a fresh healthy snack in the car on the way to...

Tecoh. This is a pretty little town. The towns residents are obviously very proud of their city and there were streamers over the church and city hall - to announce that yet another fiesta was in full swing, complete with a bullring made of sticks and string - which would make a American safety inspector cringe but which is evidently safe and normal.

After Tecoh, we stopped at Telchaquillo, whose main claim to fame is a cenote right there in the main square - it is easy to descend into which made it easy to explore.

Then on to Mayapan, for a walk around the Mayan community ruins and then we were back on the road, heading back towards Merida and lunch at the Hacienda Teya, known for their excellent Yucatecan food and great service. Lunch was very enjoyable and accompanied by a bottle of refreshing grenache rose wine and then it was time to hoof it to Progreso so as not to arrive late for the cruise ships departure. Had their been a little more time, we would have liked to stop at the Aristi liquor store, where local liquor is bottled and sold.

It was truly a most interesting and pleasant day made possible by William Lawson. I recommend his services to anyone wishing to have a local, very knowledgeable person conduct a personal tour at a reasonable fee.

• 3 weeks later...

Heading to Progresso next week on the Ecstacy.

I'm confused. Is there a double decker city bus

touring around Progresso or are the double deckers only going to Merida and touring around Merida? We are interested in seeing Progresso in full before ending up at the beach. Thanks

Hi! Your post caught my attention. I will be traveling with 4 college students in January and we stop in Progresso. I'm trying to find something for them to do and the underground caves sound great. Can you give me a few details on where to find them?

Thanks soooo much!!

Try to get off the ship as early as possible and get to Cuzama, or rather Chunkanaab, where there are 3 underground cenotes that you will be able to swim in (the water is the same temperature all year round so even if it's chilly up top it'll be temperate down below). Those are the most well known cenotes (underground water deposits) in the area.

• 3 weeks later...

Since I researched Progreso here beforehand, I wanted to share some info that might be helpful to others who'll be visiting.

Based on what I'd read here, we decided to use AutoProgreso to go to Uxmal since reviews were good, and it was somewhat cheaper than through Carnival. I didn't book in advance. As I'd read, there were AutoProgreso reps around, and we booked before even making it through the shops to the bus that takes you from the end of the pier into town. You get another spiel and opportunity to book a tour once you're on the bus.

Since our tour didn't leave until 9, we had a little time to walk around the market beforehand. If you like that kind of thing it'll be enjoyable - if not, you'll be done quickly. We took the double decker bus tour around the city for $3 each, and enjoyed it. It lasted about 25 minutes, and is basic, but was worth it.

We ended up being the only ones on our trip to Uxmal, so we got a private tour. We went in a van, and Sofie was our guide. She was very friendly and knowledgeable, and gave a good introduction to Mayan history and culture during the ~1.5 hour ride. Once there, she took us around for about an hour, then we had an hour on our own to walk around, climb a pyramid (the big one is no longer open to the public), and eat lunch. We were dropped off back at the far end of the pier and had 20 minutes or so for a little shopping before getting back on the ship.

Quick note on the restaurant at Uxmal, which was in the visitor center: the food was pretty tasty, though we did overpay slightly by using US dollars at a not-quite-precise exchange rate. I wasn't too concerned about it though, given that it was more convenient and still reasonably priced.

Progresso was one of our ports in August and we arranged to do a combination tour with Robert-known locally as Pablo- Pablo's Crater Tours. He is an English speaking guide with 20 years experience. He was fabulous! We did a combo tour including the salt flats to see the flamingos, Xcambo ruins, followed by a stop at the beach for a few hours. Highly recommend him.

Can I ask you how much you paid for this tour? My son is really into flamingos and we all would love to see their wintering grounds. I have heard there are thousands of them.

Archived