Tipping - What is Your Experience

katkell

Sorry was hard to think of a Title for this one.

Would like to know what Australian Passengers on any Cruise Line do in regards to tipping. For all you people out there that may read this, tipping in Australia is not accepted practice and we only tip for Outstanding and Exceptional service.

What I am interested in is how Australians tip when overseas. As we have to pay up front for gratuities on Cruises we don't tip at the end of the voyage and we don't have the luxury of removing the gratuities at the Customer Service desk.

So how do others deal with this. Do you tip extra when on the ship and also when you go on tours, any destination, how do you deal with whats expected as to what we are used to (not tipping). I wouldn't want to be embarrassed after all

Thanks

I am Australian. I was brought up to believe that tipping is accepted. I always tip personally at the end of the cruise as well as the prepaid gratuities that are included in the overall cruise price.

This may not work for everyone and it may not suit everyone. But I also tend to tip our waiters and cabin person in the first day or so of the cruise.

I go on holidays to relax and enjoy our break away. If this means a few extra $ are spent ensuring this happens then so be it. A tip ensures less wait time for drinks at dinner, more personal attention in the cabin. Any special requests for menu items are always met with a smile.

Yes, I may pay extra but I look at it as money well spent.

Apart from Australia, Costa charge a compulary service charge to your OB account.

The staff are happy with this as they know they are recieving it from all passengers.

You do not have to tip anymore, but they will not complain if you do.

Wish this was the same system in the UK as some TA's are telling customers to cancel tips to save money on other lines.

A euro or $2 for room service is the norm. 15% is added to drinks.

Enjoy the cruise

g

Our cabin steward was FANTASTIC, so we personally tipped him daily - in addition to the prepaid gratuities.

We also had a favorite waitress at "our bar" where we liked to go during Happy Hour. We tipped her during every visit.

We also made sure to tip our excursion drivers and guides for good service.

Hope this info helps!

Sorry was hard to think of a Title for this one.

Would like to know what Australian Passengers on any Cruise Line do in regards to tipping. For all you people out there that may read this, tipping in Australia is not accepted practice and we only tip for Outstanding and Exceptional service.

What I am interested in is how Australians tip when overseas. As we have to pay up front for gratuities on Cruises we don't tip at the end of the voyage and we don't have the luxury of removing the gratuities at the Customer Service desk.

So how do others deal with this. Do you tip extra when on the ship and also when you go on tours, any destination, how do you deal with whats expected as to what we are used to (not tipping). I wouldn't want to be embarrassed after all

Thanks

short answer - when in rome...

when you travel, you are not at home, and should leave those customs at home. try to educate yourself on the culture of where you are going. i'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that that is what you are doing by asking this question.

i leave the automatic gratuity in place, and rarely tip above and beyond that amount. i'm from the US btw.

Thanks for all that, it is interesting because most of the comments on Cruise Critic are about removing the tips and people tend to get very emotional about that. Our first cruise to the Med was inclusive of Gratuities, and on the last night the envelope was put in our Cabin, we weren't sure what to do, so did nothing. Our 2nd cruise even though it was from Australia was booked direct through the Cruise Line, so we paid the Gratuities at the end of the Cruise, plus extra for our favorite bar staff. The Cabin attendant was pretty ordinary and definitely not consistent, so no extra for them.

We do tip here in Australia, but good service is few and far between, however when it is warranted we do oblige.

We were on a cruise on the Athena that had gratuities included in the cost of the cruise. The service was terrible,our waiter waited until all passengers were seated before he started taking orders,so if someone was late,we all had to wait. The tables with other waiters were usually one or two courses ahead of us.

We always had to ask the cabin steward for one thing or another that he forget to do or resupply. So with gratuities included, we payed for lousy service whether we liked it or not. With gratuities as an extra, you have a choice.

We were on a cruise on the Athena that had gratuities included in the cost of the cruise. The service was terrible,our waiter waited until all passengers were seated before he started taking orders,so if someone was late,we all had to wait. The tables with other waiters were usually one or two courses ahead of us.

We always had to ask the cabin steward for one thing or another that he forget to do or resupply. So with gratuities included, we payed for lousy service whether we liked it or not. With gratuities as an extra, you have a choice.

what cruiseline was that? did you complain to the appropriate person(s)?

it is my understanding that all aussies have the gratuities included in the cost of the cruise and not permitted to remove them. perhaps that has changed, or incorrect information has been posted.

Thats correct, as we have paid up front we don't get a refund, so no point in having it removed. I have looked at the Athena as it's home port during Summer is Perth. Not having been onboard and seeing pictures on the Internet it really doesn't seem my style of ship. Lady I work with has been on it about 4 times and thinks it is just great, and the service was wonderful, but then they are repeat cruisers and know all the staff, so there is probably a difference there.

If I feel as though I need to tip more for over and above the general service, I will do that because I am on holidays and want to be waited on hand and foot. But.... I will suss out the cabin staff and wait staff and see what they are like, and if unsolicited they are fantastic, they will get extra

Is it just Australians who are charged up front for gratuities? Is it built in to the cost of the cruise? We are from Canada, and I don't think we've ever sailed on a cruise line that charged in advance, although possibly Cunard did. Is it because Australians do not typically tip, and they want to be sure you do?

Is it just Australians who are charged up front for gratuities? Is it built in to the cost of the cruise? We are from Canada, and I don't think we've ever sailed on a cruise line that charged in advance, although possibly Cunard did. Is it because Australians do not typically tip, and they want to be sure you do?

yes, it is because tipping is not part of the aussie culture. too many were removing the auto-tip, so they made it mandatory.

Archived