Coral-P Mini Aftward (700s) for PC LA-FLL: Dolphin vs. Caribe? Can't decide!! :-(

DrFUN

PLEASE HELP--for booking on 14-day December-January 2011 holiday transit of Panama Canal from LA to FLL:

ARGHH!! I keep going back and forth:

I've studied HUNDREDS of posts here with wonderful advice (and reviewed Tom's wonderful detailed website, of course) -- but still can't decide between the fully covered 700-series DOLPHIN deck (downside: those window-cleaning obstructions and the narrower aft "observation" deck; upside = fully covered, $100 pp less) **OR** the half-covered 700-series CARIBE (downside: only half covered; upside = no obstruction from window-cleaning and nicer stern public deck)....

Worst of it is that DH and I actually HAD C-725 (next to last mini, aft) on partial transit on the Coral a few years ago over New Year's Eve -- and we loved it, but did feel "on display" from upper decks and stern deck at times (in our pjs in the a.m., etc.), yet we liked easy access to nnicer "our" stern deck for reading and relaxing on the non-Canal sea days. So that doesn't even help me decide! :o

WE WOULD DEARLY APPRECIATE ANY ADVICE FROM THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN ON THE CORAL/ISLAND (only--as all other P ships are totally different) -- as well as recommendation about whether PORT or STARBOARD are better for the entire cruise (not just the canal days) going from LA to FLL??

Love these boards -- and always appreciate your wise counsel!:)

Many thanks,

Mary-Lou (& DH Dave)

P.S. Surprisingly, there's no roll call for this holiday sailing....:confused:

Hi,

We were in mini suite C726 (port side) on the Coral for our 14 day Panama Canal full transit last year. We went from FLL to LA.

To each their own, but we prefer the half-covered balcony. The balconies are big enough that you can sit further back and have some shade.

Never felt like we were on display either. And if we were, I didn't care. I think that most people above that area have better things to do all day than stare down at people below them (unless you are going to give them something to stare at...:D).

Seriously, if full balcony cover is important to you, then take the Dolphin cabin; otherwise I would recommend the 700 series minis on Caribe.

You are booking for a cruise just 3-4 months away? I am surprised that any of those minis are still available??

Whatever you choose, have a great cruise.

Cindy :)

If you get a mini on Dolphin deck several cabins from the aft viewing area the window washing equipment is not an issue.

We had 719/721.

We would never take the last cabin on Caribe or Dolphin for that very reason of privacy.

What about E736, I know it is not a mini, but does the window washing equipment hinder the viewing?

Snowbird

I can't help you with your cabin selection since we have never booked an aft cabin. We always try to book mid-ship in a mini suite and will be on the Coral next September leaving from San Francisco thru the canal to Ft Lauderdale. If you are leaving from Los Angeles you should definitely book the starboard side (uneven numbers) to get the best view. We have done the canal cruise before and having a starboard cabin is an advantage. Hope this helps, happy travels :)

Hi,

We were in mini suite C726 (port side) on the Coral for our 14 day Panama Canal full transit last year. We went from FLL to LA.

To each their own, but we prefer the half-covered balcony. The balconies are big enough that you can sit further back and have some shade.

You are booking for a cruise just 3-4 months away? I am surprised that any of those minis are still available??

Whatever you choose, have a great cruise.

Cindy :)

Thanks, Cindy. That's kinda what we're considering now.... And OOPS: I meant to write: "Dec. 2011-Jan.2012 holiday sailing," which is why there's such good stateroom selection (and no roll call).

BTW: On your port side mini from LA, was it cool enough (no too much afternoon SUN) on the port side -- and was the scenery good? (Of course, there's that nearby great stern public deck.)

Thanks again,

Mary-Lou

We did this trip a few years ago. We were in D-708 and loved this mini-suite. We looked at the caribe deck, but for 14 days we went with the min-suite for more room. We were on the port side. You go down the pacific coast and up the caribbean coast to FLL.

Thanks, Amtrack! Caribe also has minis on the Coral -- and that's our dilemma (between the Ds and the Cs -- as staterooms are the same, it's just the balcony pros and cons of each).

If you get a mini on Dolphin deck several cabins from the aft viewing area the window washing equipment is not an issue.

We had 719/721.

We would never take the last cabin on Caribe or Dolphin for that very reason of privacy.

Thanks, Colo!

I thought I saw some photos of that apparatus going along the minis -- so that was a further concern. If we do D, we'll go further down as you suggest.

I can't help you with your cabin selection since we have never booked an aft cabin. We always try to book mid-ship in a mini suite and will be on the Coral next September leaving from San Francisco thru the canal to Ft Lauderdale. If you are leaving from Los Angeles you should definitely book the starboard side (uneven numbers) to get the best view. We have done the canal cruise before and having a starboard cabin is an advantage. Hope this helps, happy travels :)

Thanks for the starboard advice, sonnenschein! Now I'm confused again -- as half the posters say PORT and half say SB going either direction. Would sincerely appreciate knowing a little more about which views are best from SB. Thanks, again!

I am so glad the question regarding the difference in the two decks was asked. I have been pondering this question for severals weeks now. We booked this cruise last month while on the Sea Princess. Our booking consists of one mini suite and one full suite, next to one another. Much to my surprise, there was a difference of $900 more for the 2 cabins just to be on the Caribe deck. So, we chose the Dolphin deck.

We have been on the Coral/Island several times before in a mini on Caribe deck and loved it. Did we make the right decision to switch to Dolphin deck? Guess we shall see.

Looks like we need to get a Roll Call started.

Again, "thanks for reading my mind"

I am so glad the question regarding the difference in the two decks was asked. I have been pondering this question for severals weeks now. We booked this cruise last month while on the Sea Princess. Our booking consists of one mini suite and one full suite, next to one another. Much to my surprise, there was a difference of $900 more for the 2 cabins just to be on the Caribe deck. So, we chose the Dolphin deck.

We have been on the Coral/Island several times before in a mini on Caribe deck and loved it. Did we make the right decision to switch to Dolphin deck? Guess we shall see.

Looks like we need to get a Roll Call started.

Again, "thanks for reading my mind"

THANKS SO MUCH for letting me know I'm not alone in my ambivalence about these decks -- and for letting me know someone else is out there for our cruise 15 months from now, dear Library Lady! :D We'll have to to compare minis onboard to see if we made good choices. (We'd also love to see your full suite, which we considered....)

We finally decided to go with a mini on the Caribe deck a few staterooms back from the stern on the port side to have a chance of seeing some of the CA coast. Just hope we won't be fried by too much sun on our balcony in the afternoons on sea days.... :confused: (I can't remember how it worked when we had C-725 on the Coral's partial Canal sailing Dec. 2007-Jan. 2008 -- going in both directions.) Which side are YOU on?

BTW: If you'd like to email off-board until a roll call gets going, I'm DrFUN at RealisticRomance dot com. (Are you a librarian? We're university professors of journalism & mass media -- in Phoenix, where we get more than enough sun. ;) )

And if anyone else can offer the pros and cons of port and starboard for this LA to FLL transit, I'd be grateful -- as there's still time to switch sides.

Thanks,

Mary-Lou (& DH Dave)

PLEASE HELP--for booking on 14-day December-January 2011 holiday transit of Panama Canal from LA to FLL:

ARGHH!! I keep going back and forth:

I've studied HUNDREDS of posts here with wonderful advice (and reviewed Tom's wonderful detailed website, of course) -- but still can't decide between the fully covered 700-series DOLPHIN deck (downside: those window-cleaning obstructions and the narrower aft "observation" deck; upside = fully covered, $100 pp less) **OR** the half-covered 700-series CARIBE (downside: only half covered; upside = no obstruction from window-cleaning and nicer stern public deck)....

Worst of it is that DH and I actually HAD C-725 (next to last mini, aft) on partial transit on the Coral a few years ago over New Year's Eve -- and we loved it, but did feel "on display" from upper decks and stern deck at times (in our pjs in the a.m., etc.), yet we liked easy access to nnicer "our" stern deck for reading and relaxing on the non-Canal sea days. So that doesn't even help me decide! :o

WE WOULD DEARLY APPRECIATE ANY ADVICE FROM THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN ON THE CORAL/ISLAND (only--as all other P ships are totally different) -- as well as recommendation about whether PORT or STARBOARD are better for the entire cruise (not just the canal days) going from LA to FLL??

Love these boards -- and always appreciate your wise counsel!:)

Many thanks,

Mary-Lou (& DH Dave)

P.S. Surprisingly, there's no roll call for this holiday sailing....:confused:

We were in D-719 to Alaska last summer on the Island and loved the room Especially liked the completely covered balcony and easy access to the stern balcony (public).

Cheers, Kenn

I have sailed in C708 and D708. I personally prefer the Dolphin deck. There seems to be a tad more stability in choppy seas on Dolphin and I prefer to scoot down the stairs to promenade to walk to venues. There does not seem to be a lot of difference in the overhang on the balcony. Inside, they are exactly the same cabins.

A not too friendly feature of this section of the ship is the aft exit doors. These can SLAM shut with a RESOUNDING smash. Folks need to be kindly about their use. In defense, sometimes the wind can make it darn near impossible to quietly close them. This really only affects the most aft of the cabins. I have never been bothered further up.

BTW, those aft open decks are fabulous! Loved to go back there during quiet afternoons and read with my eyes closed.

I have sailed in C708 and D708. I personally prefer the Dolphin deck. There seems to be a tad more stability in choppy seas on Dolphin and I prefer to scoot down the stairs to promenade to walk to venues. There does not seem to be a lot of difference in the overhang on the balcony. Inside, they are exactly the same cabins.

A not too friendly feature of this section of the ship is the aft exit doors. These can SLAM shut with a RESOUNDING smash. Folks need to be kindly about their use. In defense, sometimes the wind can make it darn near impossible to quietly close them. This really only affects the most aft of the cabins. I have never been bothered further up.

BTW, those aft open decks are fabulous! Loved to go back there during quiet afternoons and read with my eyes closed.

THANKS, MISSYBUD!

And I totally agree about the delight of reading on the lounge chairs on those big open covered stern public decks! :D Although we prefer to have our stateroom on the stern for those views, it's really a nicer "public service" to allow everyone to enjoy the wake and the views.

Archived