Athens port to city by metro travel time

stuttgart

We are planning to visit in the month of April 2011. I will be very thankful if any of you can tell me traveling time between:

(1) From Piraeus station (the Green line to) Omonia station (Omonia square) and transfer there to the red line. Travel on red line to Akropolis stop.

(2) Viktoria station to (the Green line) Piraeus station.

Our boat will be there from 11:00 AM to 7:00 PM only. We like to go by Metro to save money and time.:)

In total, it took us one hour from the time we left the port, walked to the metro station, took the green line to Omonia and the red line to Akropolis stop. The breakdown was approx. 50/50 ... i.e. half the time was spent walking to the metro station in Piraeus & purchasing the tickets, and the other half taking the metro & transferring. I think you could be at the Acropolis by 12:30 p.m.

I would allow about an hour for the return. The metro ride should take about 25 minutes, and the walk another 25 minutes...give or take 5 minutes for each. Personally, I would want to head back from the Viktoria station around 5 p.m. or very shortly afterwards.

Just curious if you are trying to visit both the Acropolis and National Archaeological Museum during that time? If so, due to your short time in port, you might want to consider using taxis to travel between the port and historic centre of Athens.

We are planning to visit in the month of April 2011. I will be very thankful if any of you can tell me traveling time between:

(1) From Piraeus station (the Green line to) Omonia station (Omonia square) and transfer there to the red line. Travel on red line to Akropolis stop.

(2) Viktoria station to (the Green line) Piraeus station.

Our boat will be there from 11:00 AM to 7:00 PM only. We like to go by Metro to save money and time.:)

You are going to have to wait on this one.

The green line right now and up to at least December has a section that does not operate.

As of now the line goes from Pireas to Monastiraki.The section from Monastiraki to Attiki does dot operate as some kind of construction program is under way there.

The line restarts at Attiki and goes all the way north to Kifisia.

Its basically cut in half.

It is possible to go from Monastiraki to Acropolis by a double change at Monastiraki(blue line) to Syndagma,and the red line from there to Acropolis.There might be a bus that connects Monastiraki and Attiki stations ,dont know the number.

Or you could get off at Thysion station and walk up to the Acropolis rock .

I am assuming you will be visiting the national archeological museum and want to return from Victoria to Pireas on the Green line.Victoria station is on the section that does not operate right now..

You have plenty of time until your trip to finalize plans,since things can change either way, but for reference if things return to normal, times are:

Cruise ship to Green line 20-25 min walk

Pireas green line to Omonoia 20 -25 min

Omonia to Acropolis 10 min.

Acropolis station to Acropolis rock 10 min walk.

The above includes transfers times.

If not:

The NAM museum is 1/2 mile walk to Omonia station or 1 mile to Monastiraki, both easy straight line walks.

Trust me when I tell you, do not have time for both the Acropolis and the NAM.Spent your time around the Acropolis ,ancient Agora and Plaka.

The green line right now and up to at least December has a section that does not operate.

Good point ... hopefully it will be back to normal by next April when the OP is going.

Stuttgart, The Tripadvisor forums usually have current info on this ... here's a link to one thread with details. I would check back there closer to your trip to see what the status of the green line is, or ask about it here on CC.

Hmmmm I am curious as to why a "change" is necessary ?

While we were there we took the metro in from Piraeus and did not change lines...... I think we got off at Monistariki (sp?) and walked outside and BAM.....the Acropolis was right in front of us. We walked thru a nice square and up the hill to the ticket entrance. It was an easier walk than I had anticipated altho we did stop at a nice tavern for a coke and a bathroom break.

A change is not necessary.

Acropolis can be reached from many stations.

The closest is Acropolis (requires a change),then Thysion followed by Monastiraki.It all dependent on which route you want to take,even though there is not a substancial difference.If the works are still going the fastest way to get to the top would be Thysion station on the green line, and that's only if you know your way and do walk at a good pace.

Acropolis station offers the easiest "climb" to the rock.

It makes more sense to go to Acropolis station,walk to the Parthenon from there and after wards come down towards and through the Agora,Stoa of Attalos and the like, ending up at Monastiraki square (and station),where you can have a bite to eat,shop and take the green line back.

With the time frame the OP has this would be my itinerary in Athens,with the possible addition of a short stop at the Acropolis museum which is located above the Acropolis metro station and you must walk in front of it on the way to the rock.

As of now the line goes from Pireas to Monastiraki.The section from Monastiraki to Attiki does dot operate as some kind of construction program is under way there.

It is possible to go from Monastiraki to Acropolis by a double change at Monastiraki(blue line) to Syndagma,and the red line from there to Acropolis.There might be a bus that connects Monastiraki and Attiki stations ,dont know the number.

I am assuming you will be visiting the national archeological museum and want to return from Victoria to Pireas on the Green line.Victoria station is on the section that does not operate right now..

You have plenty of time until your trip to finalize plans,since things can change either way, but for reference if things return to normal, times are:

If not:

The NAM museum is 1/2 mile walk to Omonia station or 1 mile to Monastiraki, both easy straight line walks.

Trust me when I tell you, do not have time for both the Acropolis and the NAM.Spent your time around the Acropolis ,ancient Agora and Plaka.

Great advice. We did the Metro in Athens on July13 when there was a half day strike and the Acropolis was closed until noon. Getting up to the top was a zoo, but we made it.

We also saw the changing of the guard at Constitution Square, and other sites on the way to the Acropolis. We did see the Acropolis Museum (new) that is near the Acropolis Metro stop. We could have done a little more if the strike had not bottlenecked access to the Acropolis, but no way could we have done the Archeological Museum, which is not close to the Acropolis.

I think taking a taxi or tour in Athens is a waste of money. Buy a good guide book.

Good point ... hopefully it will be back to normal by next April when the OP is going.

Stuttgart, The Tripadvisor forums usually have current info on this ... here's a link to one thread with details. I would check back there closer to your trip to see what the status of the green line is, or ask about it here on CC.

Thank you for your help and I am going to keep track for the green line update.

Have a great day...:)

If not:

Thank you for your advice and regarding Green line work in process update. I am going to keep track for green line progress.

Thank you again and Have a great day:)

Thank you all for your great help and advice We will be in Athens on April 2011. Hope by that time Green Line work well, the way we all want.

I am very thankful to all of you. Our port of call only 8 hours. That is the reason I am trying to plan the time wisely and with less money...:)

Have a nice day, every day...

Thank you all for your great help and advice We will be in Athens on April 2011. Hope by that time Green Line work well, the way we all want.

I am very thankful to all of you. Our port of call only 8 hours. That is the reason I am trying to plan the time wisely and with less money...:)

Have a nice day, every day...

http://istopoli.com/cruise/athens.php

http://istopoli.com/cruise/acropolis/cruisers.html

http://www.istopoli.com/cruise/athens-map-thision.html

Manurules...If you just want to go from the ship to Monastirki (sp?) for the Plaka what line do you take there and back..and is Monastirki the best stop for the restaurant area in the Plaka? We have to find our same place for take out Gyros!!

Thanks, Sherry

Manurules...If you just want to go from the ship to Monastirki (sp?) for the Plaka what line do you take there and back..and is Monastirki the best stop for the restaurant area in the Plaka? We have to find our same place for take out Gyros!!

Thanks, Sherry

Plaka has several restaurant areas.

One is close to the Acropolis station at the corner of Adrianou and Kydathinaion streets.

Another one is at the lower Adrianou street.

This section is separated from the upper section by Hadrian's library.

Lower Adrianou runs the distance between Thysion and Monastiraki Green line stations.

Right now I would have to say Monastiraki station on the Green line.

I can give you better suggestions if you can give me some more info about all you need and want to do,shopping,sights, etc...

Do you just want to visit for Gyros?

As far as "our place",I am assuming you have been to a particular place on a previous occasion and want to visit again.

This one could be a tough one, unless you can be more specific and then maybe...

As far as "our place",I am assuming you have been to a particular place on a previous occasion and want to visit again.

This one could be a tough one, unless you can be more specific and then maybe...

Thanasis came to my mind when I read her post ... in Monastiraki square. Delicious and inexpensive! ... but I've only had souvlaki there, so not sure about gyros.

Thanasis came to my mind when I read her post ... in Monastiraki square. Delicious and inexpensive! ... but I've only had souvlaki there, so not sure about gyros.

Thanasis is my favorite in the area.It servers some excellent Kabobs.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g189400-d929471-Reviews-Thanasis-Athens_Attica.html

Manurules,

We will be visiting Athens in mid-November 2010 and are interested in an update regarding the metro. We would like to take the metro to and from the port to the Plaka. What is the best way of getting there and back to the ship and approximately how much time will it take?

Is the signage in the metro stations all in Greek (I would expect as much) and if yes, what is the best way of knowing we are travelling in the right direction and which stop to get off at. Thank you!

Manurules,

We will be visiting Athens in mid-November 2010 and are interested in an update regarding the metro. We would like to take the metro to and from the port to the Plaka. What is the best way of getting there and back to the ship and approximately how much time will it take?

Is the signage in the metro stations all in Greek (I would expect as much) and if yes, what is the best way of knowing we are travelling in the right direction and which stop to get off at. Thank you!

Take the Green line metro.

There is no reason to worry about direction .

The port is the start of the line ,and the train only heads towards Plaka/Acropolis from there.

Signage is in Greek and also in Latin characters,(ΑΚΡΟΠΟΛΗ,ACROPOLIS)

From the dock to train station is a 20-25 min walk.

Turn left as you exit the customs building and while keeping the water on your left, walk on same side of the street.

The road on that side will veer left at a small square (Karaiskaki square).

Go to the other side of the square and continue in the same direction as before ,water on your left shoulder.

Just a bit down the street you will see an overpass (pedestrian bridge) that crosses the street.

Take it to the other side and when there, turn in the same direction as before (left).

You will see the train station right in front of you, buy your ticket inside.

The ride from there to THISSION ( for the Acropolis) station should take 20 min,to the next station MONASTIRAKI (for Plaka) 2 min more.

There is no station in Plaka itself. Plaka and the Acropolis,Ancient Agora area is prety much sourounded by 4 train/metro stations.

Thission and Monastiraki (Green line ).

Syndagma (Blue and red line metro),and Acropolis (red line).

You can walk to the geographic center of Plaka,and tourist central, in 10 min from any of these stations.

Can you be more specific about Plaka? What do you want to do in the area?

As it stands now the Thission and Monastiraki stations will fit your bill both.

The line works upstream from Monastiraki station that are going on right now,will not allow you to go any further anyway since the train stops there and just goes back to the port.

If you want to get to Syndagma or Acropolis stations you can either walk ,or change train at Monastiraki.

Take the Green line metro.

There is no reason to worry about direction .

The port is the start of the line ,and the train only heads towards Plaka/Acropolis from there.

Signage is in Greek and also in Latin characters,(ΑΚΡΟΠΟΛΗ,ACROPOLIS)

From the dock to train station is a 20-25 min walk.

Turn left as you exit the customs building and while keeping the water on your left, walk on same side of the street.

The road on that side will veer left at a small square (Karaiskaki square).

Go to the other side of the square and continue in the same direction as before ,water on your left shoulder.

Just a bit down the street you will see an overpass (pedestrian bridge) that crosses the street.

Take it to the other side and when there, turn in the same direction as before (left).

You will see the train station right in front of you, buy your ticket inside.

The ride from there to THISSION ( for the Acropolis) station should take 20 min,to the next station MONASTIRAKI (for Plaka) 2 min more.

There is no station in Plaka itself. Plaka and the Acropolis,Ancient Agora area is prety much sourounded by 4 train/metro stations.

Thission and Monastiraki (Green line ).

Syndagma (Blue and red line metro),and Acropolis (red line).

You can walk to the geographic center of Plaka,and tourist central, in 10 min from any of these stations.

Can you be more specific about Plaka? What do you want to do in the area?

As it stands now the Thission and Monastiraki stations will fit your bill both.

The line works upstream from Monastiraki station that are going on right now,will not allow you to go any further anyway since the train stops there and just goes back to the port.

If you want to get to Syndagma or Acropolis stations you can either walk ,or change train at Monastiraki.

Thank you, Manurules. We will be in Athens for the day and since we were there for a week (decades ago) we saw all the major sites and really enjoyed our stay. We figured for this one day in port, the Plaka would be a good starting off place. If you have any recommendations for places for a good traditional Greek lunch ones where you would go (or a site with restaurant reviews), I would appreciate any additional information regarding Athens that we should be aware of.

Just to add to Manurules' good instructions above, here's a link to a recent thread on the same topic with further discussion.

In post #2, the links to the walking map from the cruise terminal to metro station, and photo of the pedestrian overpass at the Piraeus metro station might be of help.

Thank you, Susan-M. I appreciate the additional information. Maps are always good to have.

Anyone know how the crowds will be towards the end of February/beginning of March? Trying to get a feel for our travel plans for our day in Athens. We are there from 7:30am to 4:30pm.

We stop on a Sunday, so I am really hoping to see the change of the guard at 11 in Syntagma Square.

My brain is turning to mush trying to plan this out, but I suppose we should head to the Syntagma Square area first and then hit up the Acropolis Area (Agora, Temple of Olympian Zues, Hadrian's Arch, etc) later. We also want to spend some time in the Plaka.

I'm just worried about time constraints. I'm assuming leaving at least an hour before we are supposed to sail would give us adequate time to get back to the ship?

I'm just worried about time constraints. I'm assuming leaving at least an hour before we are supposed to sail would give us adequate time to get back to the ship?

It depends on how you go back ... by taxi, an hour should be fine. By metro, I would leave by 3 p.m. (20 minutes for the metro, 25 minutes for the walk ... plus some time to spare.)

Thank you, Manurules. We will be in Athens for the day and since we were there for a week (decades ago) we saw all the major sites and really enjoyed our stay. We figured for this one day in port, the Plaka would be a good starting off place. If you have any recommendations for places for a good traditional Greek lunch ones where you would go (or a site with restaurant reviews), I would appreciate any additional information regarding Athens that we should be aware of.

I take it you have seen the sites ,but not Plaka?

Plaka other than some ancient sites in the area itself is an old town with winding streets,many a tourist trap with some touristy eating areas thrown in.

You can shop till you drop there for souvenirs ,and actually most items you will find in tourist spots ,including islands and especially Santorini and Myconos,can be bought in Plaka for a lot less.

Two places come to mind as food is concerned ,with you time frame in mind.

1. A take out place ,no tables, on Voulis street just off Syndagma square.

Its called Ariston and it is!(ariston could be translated as perfect in Greek).

It sells pies ,as in cheese pies,spinach,and anything you can name pies ,plus sweets.These pies are made the way many Greek grandmothers wish the could make them.

http://www.marketmanila.com/archives/savory-pies-at-ariston-athens

2. Tzitzikas and Mermigas, Grasshopper and the Ant,

Just a couple blocks down from Syndagma square on 12 Mitropoleos str.

I am suggesting this since its different from other restaurants in the area.

It serves decent food from various areas of the country and is a good place for lunch.

If you go order several appetizer plates and share, the dinner plates are large.We have not been there in a couple of years so..

We always order 2 half carafes (they use the traditional small metal servers) of the house wine ,red for me white for the spouse,

and with us having 5 plates minimum altogether the bill with tip runs around 45 euro.

There are 3 hidden treasures in Athens ( well not really but to most cruisers they will be).

The Benaki museum,the Museum of Cycladic art,and the Bysantine Museum.

Thy are all located a stone throw from each other,just off Vasilisis Sofias Ave a 5 min walk up the street from the change of the guard spot at Syndagma square and the Parliament.

http://www.benaki.gr/inner/en_map.htm

http://www.benaki.gr/index.asp?id=4020101&lang=en

http://www.cycladic.gr/frontoffice/portal.asp?cpage=NODE&cnode=8

http://www.byzantinemuseum.gr/en/

Archived