Insurance

Passin Thru

Passin Thru;26161340]If you charge your trip, flight, meals, cruise on Amex you get insurance >1 million US. Whats wrong with that? We use it and it works all around the globe for my wife and I. Check you credit cards as you may already have whatt you need.

Start every day off with a smile and get it over with.

W. C. Fields

Travel Accident, Baggage, and Rental Car coverage does NOT cover most situations in which people need travel insurance. (Okay, the Rental Car coverage is nice, but it is also a pretty standard credit card benefit; no need to pay AmEx for it.)

This set of coverages does NOT have medical, medevac, or cancellation coverage of any kind. You should NEVER travel anywhere but North America, Western Europe, and parts of Asia/Pacific without medevac coverage, medical coverage is needed for everyone without policies that cover international travel, and lots of people take advantage of cancellation insurance.

So yes, you should check your credit card to see if it covers what you need for free, but for most people the answer to that question will be no.

SirWired

• 2 months later...

I just found out about American Express Medical Travel insurance. It covers up to $100,000 for medical expenses (over 150 miles away from home) for up to 45 days per trip.

Anyone have experience with this or knowledge about it?

I have no experience with it and did a quick google of it and says it has some emergency medical after 5 days of hospitalization. I would want something that covers me from day 1 through 4 but I also have a pre-existing condition and don't know if that is covered either. Is the medical part of your Amex plan or is it an extra you would have to buy?

Archived