Want to see fall colors!

indiesmom

We are planning to do a two week land tour in 2011 visiting Denali, Seward, Homer, Whittier, etc. We really want to see the beautiful fall colors and need advice as to when they most likely will occur. I know fall colors can be early or late and that there is no guarantee but any help would be appreciated. Also, would the fall colors vary between locations or would the timing of the colors be the same in Denali as in Homer? Do the colors turn earlier in one of these locations? This would really be beneficial to know when we are planning our routes. ;)

I RV'd in Alaska for the last 2 weeks of Aug last yr. Denali was our 2nd stop after Talkeetna and the colors were already changing. The last week of Aug we drove from Valdez to Anchorage and the colors along the Glenn Hwy were spectacular. An additional bonus was that it was the start of rutting season (but not yet hunting season) so the moose were quite active. We stopped several times during our travels to watch them.

Whether the colors are late or early I think you'd be safe to plan on the end of Aug beginning of Sept.

We just returned from a land/cruisetour on 9/18/10. We had beautiful colors in Talkeetna and Denali around 9/7 - 9/10. We saw beautiful fall colors from the train from Denali to Whittier also on 9/11. However, the most beautiful and vibrant colors (in my opinion) were on our excursion to Emerald Lake from Skagway on 9/14. Absolutely gorgeous. Saw birch and poplar trees along with variuos ground covers. The further north we got the better the colors. (We used to live in Connecticut so I know a beautiful fall when I see one. :D LOL.)

Archived