Princess Exchange Rates Fiasco

Deason

I will be going on the Crown Princess in January for a week around the Caribbean. Just wondering how much money to take on the ship? I was thinking $2-3000 should cover it.

Btw i have heard from a few good sources to hold out til early Oct to buy USD as this is when the AUD/USD exchange will be close to parity

We never take much money to use on the ship when we travel as everything is put on our credit card and then we rely on AMEX to give us the exchange rate of the day when it is finally converted.

Of course, if you want to buy up in all the ports and want to use cash, that is a different matter.

We have already bought our US dollars to use when we do our cruise next year in April. The exchange rate was so good, that we didn't want to miss out. ;)

If our dollar gets to parity in the next couple of months, we will be paying for our cruise a couple of months early.

Jennie

Thanks for all the opinions and useful advice! I've bought some US$ traveller's checks. Given that in April last year the Aussie dollar was buying something like US 60c, the mid-90s available at the moment are too good to pass up, even if it does go higher.

If it ends up going higher I'll see about paying by credit card in US$, using the bank's exchange rate (not Princess's!) and save my checks for a later trip. Unlike the Canadian Loonie, the Aussie dollar hasn't reached parity with the greenback even once in the last decade (as far back as I can easily check online). I was in the US late 2001 and was getting around 50c back then, so it will be very nice in comparison to be able to spend at 93c or so :)

Welcome to Cruise Criric.

The amount of money to bring really varies depending on your spending habits and whether you use a credit card for big purchases. Unless you go crazy, $2-3,000 should be fine.

Also, you should join the Roll Call for your cruise. It is a place to meet others sailing with you.

To join, go to the boards menu and scroll down to Roll Calls. Click on your cruise line. Then click on your ship. Finally, click on the thread for your sailing.

Thanks Paul, will look into the roll call

Just back from my cruise, I was certain I clicked do not convert on my on-line stuff.

Received my bill on morning of embarkation, my GBP had been converted to USD plus 3% fee and a poor rate. I went to the Pursers desk, but too late to try and sort out.

I emailed Princess on returning, got a prompt reply, I was asked to scan and send the last page of my invoice. I received a reply the same day, that they would send me a sterling cheque to pay into my bank, this will not then cost me anything. Great service I say!

Just back from my cruise, I was certain I clicked do not convert on my on-line stuff.

Received my bill on morning of embarkation, my GBP had been converted to USD plus 3% fee and a poor rate. I went to the Pursers desk, but too late to try and sort out.

To avoid this:

a) before you hand in the form, circle that checkmark and circle it is red. Make a copy if possible.

b) Check at least twice at the purser's desk to be sure their computer shows the status you checked

c) The last evening stop by the purser's desk with your card and have them process your card right then in $$$.

To avoid this:

a) before you hand in the form, circle that checkmark and circle it is red. Make a copy if possible.

b) Check at least twice at the purser's desk to be sure their computer shows the status you checked

c) The last evening stop by the purser's desk with your card and have them process your card right then in $$$.

Good idea, although I did everything on-line so no paper copy at all.

Steve

Archived