crab or lobster in port

blakey

Can anyone recommend a good restaurant in Skagway that serves a crab or lobster dinner? An all-you-can-eat place (crab) would be okay. Yes, I'm aware lobster tails will be served in mdr on first formal night.

DH gets this supreme look of happiness on his face when he gets to dig into either. :) I think it would be the ultimate delight for the dh, and an unmatchable anniversary present.

Can anyone recommend a good restaurant in Skagway that serves a crab or lobster dinner? An all-you-can-eat place (crab) would be okay. Yes, I'm aware lobster tails will be served in mdr on first formal night.

DH gets this supreme look of happiness on his face when he gets to dig into either. :) I think it would be the ultimate delight for the dh, and an unmatchable anniversary present.

Since lobster will have to flown in from the east coast, expect your DH's expression to turn to one of horror when the bill comes, assuming you could find any place in Skagway serving it.

I really liked the intimacy of Olivia's when I ate there last month, but it may not be anniversary worthy. There's a couple of places on the water that may have crab, but please realize with only 800 people in Skagway at the height of the season, fine dining is not a priority.

Frankly, there's little fine dining throughout Southeast Alaska.

Thanks, Tee...didn't think about the population being that low. And you're saying there's no lobster up there? Guess I just assumed stuff...lol.:rolleyes:

I will check into Olivia's, all that matters is that the food is good. We're common folk...just as easy to eat in shorts and a tshirt as it is in a formal. Come to think of it...easier...don't have to worry about bbq stains.:)

We are soooo looking forward to our Alaska cruise.

Will you be going to Juneau? If so, check out Tracy's Crab Shack for THE best huge King Crab Legs and delicious crab soup. OMG - so worth the high $$$ and truly a heavenly experience! Not much to look at - literally a street trailer with outdoor seating under a tent, but excellent food. If your DH loves crab, it is THE place to give it a shot! Google Tracy's Crab Shack in Juneau for photos, menu, etc. Enjoy!

I love both lobster and crab. I suppose you could get lobster in Alaska -- but why?

Alaska is famous for its crab. Depending on exactly when you will be there it may be fresh, fresh, fresh! If you want to treat DH to a seafood dinner, crab and not lobster is the thing to get in Alaska!! ;)

Our very favorite place is The Office in Hoonah (Icy Strait Point)!

Have a GREAT cruise!

I had researched both the Stowaway Cafe and Skagway Fish Company prior to visiting Skagway last week. I know the Skagway Fish Company had crab legs. You might want to check them out. I did not end up eating at a restaurant in Skagway so I can't give you a firsthand account.

We did eat at Twisted Fish in Juneau and had fantastic king crab legs! They are right on the dock in Juneau. Unlike Tracy's, TF is a restaurant with inside seating, etc. I'd heard all these wonderful things about Tracy's but decided I wanted a sit-down restaurant and was not disappointed.

Another hint, if you're in Ketchikan, grab a large styrofoam cup of clam chowder on the dock and enjoy it in the little park there. This was some of the best clam chowder I've ever had - and it made for a very enjoyable hour or so in the warm Ketchikan sun.

I'm assuming the OP is asking about Skagway specifically because that's their port on their anniversary. But at least she's getting a bunch of other recommendations too!

Thanks, Tee...didn't think about the population being that low. And you're saying there's no lobster up there? Guess I just assumed stuff...lol.:rolleyes:

There's a market in Juneau where I've seen live lobsters in a tank, so it's technically possible to have fresh lobster somewhere. I just haven't noticed it on menus.

I will check into Olivia's, all that matters is that the food is good. We're common folk...just as easy to eat in shorts and a tshirt as it is in a formal. Come to think of it...easier...don't have to worry about bbq stains.:)

We are soooo looking forward to our Alaska cruise.

The Stowaway is another option, since it has water views and a bit more variety than Olivia's. I haven't eaten there, but both it and The Skagway Fish Company next door are always packed, which can be a pain when you just want to enjoy a nice meal. But the Stowaway does take reservations, which I didn't realize.

I don't know if drinks matter to you, but Olivia's does have wine and cocktails. It looks like the Stowaway does too. (What am I thinking? It wouldn't be Skagway without drinking.)

Y'all have come up with some outstanding suggestions...thank you! thank you!

I'm very aware that Alaska is known for their crabs. Had no clue about the lobsters, just assumed. See where that got me? :o

The reason for looking for something in Skagway...our ship will be in port until 9pm. Will give us time to do some sightseeing, rent a car and such, then have supper. Sure wish we had more time in Juneau but I soooo want to do the Harv and Marv whale watch thingy. Not sure we can work a long lunch in. And believe me, it will be a looooong lunch. :D

Off to google all the places mentioned...see what we can work in where.

We ate at the Skagway Fish Company on September 8 and really enjoyed it. The crab, shrimp and salmon were very fresh and delicious, and the atmosphere is informal. We were seated immediately with no wait.

When we turned in our car at Avis, we asked the girl behind the counter which place in town had good crab. She said both the Stowaway Cafe and the Skagway Fish Company were good and had the same price for crab (she had eaten at both herself). The main difference (according to her) was that the Stowaway Cafe had a more formal dining atmosphere whereas the Fish Company was more informal like a brewpub.

Both restaurants were located right by the place where our cruise ship was docked. There were uniformed members of our ship's crew eating and drinking at the next table, so I knew the ship was not leaving anytime soon :)

• 4 weeks later...

We ate at the Skagway Fish Company. Service was good, crab was just ok. I ate crab 6 different times throughout our three weeks in Alaska. Tracy's in Juneau was the best BY FAR.

photo is the fish company building right by the dock.

Go Cats

451886624_fishco.jpg.504f6bd87851d27bbc22063a8f6f07ac.jpg

Archived