Haifa and TelAviv

beebee

I just booked a cruise which will end at the port of Haifa and we will be flying out of TelAviv airport. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, our flight does not leave until 11:35 at night. I am looking for the best way to use the time that we have to see some of the sights in this area. I think the best thing for us would be to do some type of tour. If anyone is familiar with any tour companies or guides that they would recommend I would greatly appreciate it. Any additional suggestions would also be greatly appreciated.

I just booked a cruise which will end at the port of Haifa and we will be flying out of TelAviv airport. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, our flight does not leave until 11:35 at night. I am looking for the best way to use the time that we have to see some of the sights in this area. I think the best thing for us would be to do some type of tour. If anyone is familiar with any tour companies or guides that they would recommend I would greatly appreciate it. Any additional suggestions would also be greatly appreciated.

Hi beebee

First of all, you are making history here. You'll be on the first cruise in more than a decade that will end in Israel. I guess you'll be coming on the Azamara Quest on May 15. on that day this ship is starting a cruise from Haifa and that is my friend something that hadn't happened here for a long time. and we are all happy about it here hopping that it is a sign for the future and more cruise companies will add Israel not only as a port call but as an embankment port also withh all what it's means.

As for your question, you have 2 options:

1. Hiring a private guide with a car for a day tour

2. Rent a car and do it by yourself.

Out of the 2 options the first one is the most convenient one but the second will be cheaper. Since you are docking very early (06:00) and your flight is a night flight, you have a full day. What is suggested to do on that day depend on whether this is your first time to Israel. If it is I would take a tour to Jerusalem. If you've already visited Israel, I would reserve a room at the Crown Plaza City Center hotel in Tel Aviv, get there using a train and take a day off for enjoying what Tel Aviv can offer you independently.

This is the May 6th sailing that starts in Athens and ends in Haifa. I have never been to Israel and am really excited about visiting there. I must admit I was, and maybe even still am, a little nervous about visiting there because of safety issues. The people that I know that have visited tell me that they have felt very comfortable when traveling there.

This is the May 6th sailing that starts in Athens and ends in Haifa. I have never been to Israel and am really excited about visiting there. I must admit I was, and maybe even still am, a little nervous about visiting there because of safety issues. The people that I know that have visited tell me that they have felt very comfortable when traveling there.

In order to make the best of your time this is what I suggest:

on the day before your ship will be in Ashdod. Use this day to go to the Dead Sea, either take the ship excursion or arrange yourself a private tour.

on your last day take a private tour to Jerusalem/ you have a full day to experience and enjoy the city and you can arrange your guide to drop you off at the airport at the end of the tour.

That way you'll have the chance to experience the 2 most unique places in Israel.

I'll ditto Motib's suggestion... if I only had one day in Israel, I'd spend it in Jerusalem. I would suggest getting a guide, though... I lived in Israel for years and have never had a problem with the public transit, and also have rented a car whenever I've visited there since, but for a single day, I'd really want to not have to hassle with that.

---Ellen

When you port at Ashdod, that is when I would go to Jerusalem. When you end at Haifa, there are so many wonderful things in that area that I'd would want to spend time there. The Bahai Gardens are beautiful and worth some time. Drive down the coast a little to Cesarea to the Roman ruins - I spent several hours there. My favorite thing to do I don't think you'd have time for, and given your one day, I wouldn't put it at the top of your list. I love to drive up to Mt. Carmel to the monastery. It's a beautiful drive through the National Park. At the monastery, you have gorgeous views out over a valley. From there, I drive down to the Druze village of Daliyat el-Carmel, and then down to the coast. It's definitely not your usual tourist drive, but it's beautiful. I do it everytime I get to Israel.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!

My husband and I just got back from Israel about 3 days ago. We had a wonderful. We spend a day in Haifa and two days in Tel Aviv. Our plane also took off at 11:30 to go home. I would pick Haifa over Tel Aviv anytime. There is really not much to see in Tel Aviv and it is like any big commercial city. Haifa and the the gardens are so great. I use Avi Tours for the whole time. They were fantastic and I would definitely recommend them. They also do excursion from cruise ships. We stayed in Tel Aviv for 1 night and the second night we rented the same room by until 8:00 at night the night we flew out.

If you need any further information you can email me at Dicrepe2@gmail.com.

Just returned from a tour of Israel. Haifa is a pretty city but you don't need to spend much time there to see the Gardens. I wouldn't want to drive in Israel myself.

We had an excellent tour guide/educator (jolanetours@gmail.com). She could take you down the coast to Caesarea and then hit the high points of Tel Aviv. Independence Hall and some of the historic neighborhoods like Jaffa.

Archived