Just back from Destiny

Hi, just got back from the Destiny yesterday after a great week. We went with a very open mind (having read various reviews on this site). Our first view of Destiny was a pleasant surprise, we were very impressed, as we thought she might look very small and a bit worn! We booked a deluxe cabin 7012 and again were very impressed, there was plenty of room to sit and walk about, loads of drawer and hanging space, free safe, tea and coffee making facilities which were replenished each day by our very efficient steward Inna. Yes the view was slightly restricted but we looked out between two lifeboats so got quite a good view. The bed was a bit hard but that did not bother me too much (hubby complained of back ache!!:() but the furnishings were very nice and it was well carpeted. The bathroom had a bath with shower (which was as powerful as our's at home) plenty of hot water but watch it can be a little too hot at times, again plenty of cupboards and mirrors. We mainly used the Seven Seas Restaurant as we did not like the Lido, as I am short the chairs were too low for the tables, not comfortable at all! However we could not fault the Seven Seas, food was excellent for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Waiter service was excellent and the after dinner entertainment was a bonus, the waiter's really did put on a great show! The entertainment in the Can Can lounge, well all I can say is wow, they could be in the West End. We did several trips to Monaco/Monte Carlo, Pisa, Rome and Vatican and Corsica, all very well organised, great guides and well worth the money. If anyone wants any further information please ask, I know how helpful I found this site before we went. All in all, well done Thomson a very well organised trip.:):)

Hi Everybody. Agree with OP on most points.

Same cruise and agree it was very very very good.

On the Destiny around 2 years ago and found it very much the same.

Couple of points, we thought it less formal this time, wife and I felt a touch over dressed in the evening, as we do tend to dress up than dress down. Does not bother us as everybody was smart but not many ties and jackets this time. Even the Formal night I noticed less DJ's

Also one and only moan......... not much point in adverising Ballroom Dancing at 6 every night then not playing suitable music. Taped music compiled by someone who must have never danced a waltz or a quickstep.

Ok we both enjoy formal dancing and I spoke to quite a few people who had gone to dance at 6 and left never to return so hence nobody danced all week at the 6 pm session. 2 years ago the 6pm sessioins were very popular.

We danced all night later in the evenings to the more modern music so it was no big deal, just a small point.

Apart from that though the cruise was 10/10 and the Shows were much better than 2 years ago. One show was West End stuff.

No way would we eat in the Lido though apart from lunch, it does not suit us, but that is our own choice.

As OP says the chairs do not match the tables in the Lido.

Deck 4 outside cabin ok for us. Inside last time and got upgraded this time as Agent messed us about.

2 Beds in L shaped cofig. One bed a bit bigger and more comfy, I had that one. She looks after me.:)

2 problems with the cabin and both sorted within an hour, great service there.

Staff can not be faulted.

Food excellant.

Got AI for £69 each and we would have spent £410 so it was well worth it.

We cruise with FO and P&O so can compare, all 3 different and each with their own plus and minus.

Will cruise on the Destiny again when we are cruising on our own as the entertaimnent and fellow pasengers allows us to mix real well. With friends we prefer FO or P&O.

Keep smiling:)

Hi 1160451, we did go to the 6.00pm dancing and agree with what you said, so did not go again. We were on the late sitting dinner and felt that most people made the effort to dress up, made a nice change to wear my 'posh' clothes, there were a few who did not bother and quite a few wore DJ's on Captain's night which we really enjoyed, would have liked another formal night towards the end of the cruise (if only to get our moneysworth out of OH dinner suit) Would definately sail on Destiny again. We had one problem when the toilet didnt empty, this was 12.00 at night, rang reception and someone was there and had it fixed within 10 minutes. Yes that staff couldnt be faulted, so polite and friendly.

Hi SF,

Glad you had a good time.

Thought it was just us about the dancing so good to hear your thoughts.

We danced later in the night as i said but more Cha Cha and jive

We were on first sitting and like you would have liked 2 formals but I think we are in the minority.

That Moulin Rouge show was something else wasn't it.

Keep smiling:)

Hi. Thank you for your comments on your recent cruise on the Destiny. We are due on the Transatlantic crossing to Caribbean in December and are so looking forward to it!! You say that the safes were free and that you had tea/coffee making facilities in your cabin. Is this a new thing as I have read that people have paid for the safes,and that you could only have tea/coffee in the cabin from room service..no kettles allowed in the cabins? So pleased that you enjoyed your cruise,as I have also read some negative comments,and was apprehensive. However ,you had a good time and hopefully so will we!!

Hi Petal

I think SF was in a deluxe cabin so gets safe and coffee etc. plus I am sure more extras.

Down on Deck 4 outside you pay £12 for safe deposit in your cabin.

You will enjoy I am sure, we cruised first time 2 years ago and we are hooked. :)

Think it is only the Deluxe cabins that have tea and coffee and the free safe (electronic) Think the charge is £12 for the safe hire in other cabins. I had emailed Thomson before we went and asked if kettles were provided in the deluxe cabins and they said they weren't so it was a pleasant surprise to find one. We took a small thermos flask with us, the idea being to fill it with hot water the night before but we didnt need it. I am sure you will have a fantastic time on Destiny, enjoy your cruise.

Many thanks sanfransisco for your report.We are in cabin 7012 next week and it was great to hear all about it.Getting really excited now.I see that this cabin it is on the promenade deck,does that mean people walking by can look in the window?

hi sanfrancisco, we are doing the same cruise on 9th october, can you tell me anymore about the excursions you did ie what time do they leave at, are there any afternoon ones? we are in cabin 6006 thanks

Many thanks sanfransisco for your report.We are in cabin 7012 next week and it was great to hear all about it.Getting really excited now.I see that this cabin it is on the promenade deck,does that mean people walking by can look in the window?

The windows are one-way so you can see out but people can't see in, although they can if you have the lights on, the Promenade deck at that point is quite a bit lower than the window so you don't feel overlooked at all. Have a great cruise, I'm sure you will

hi sanfrancisco, we are doing the same cruise on 9th october, can you tell me anymore about the excursions you did ie what time do they leave at, are there any afternoon ones? we are in cabin 6006 thanks

We took a long time doing research and deciding which excursions to go on, in the end we feel we picked the right ones for us, as follows:

Monaco & Monte Carlo 8.00am start - a good trip with very informative guide

Puccini Lake & Pisa 1.00pm start - The Puccini Lake was a bit of a disappointment as you couldnt hear the music because of the noise of the boat engine. We then went on to Pisa and had a bit of time on our own there, it was a good trip.

Rome & Vatican City 7.45am start - this was the hi-lite of the holiday for us, toured round Rome in the coach and saw quite a bit, although not the Trevi Fountain or Spanish Steps. Had a good 3 course lunch in a nice Restaurant with wine provided. Then the coach took us to the Vatican City, went round a few of the museums, St Peter's Basilica and Sistine Chapel, our Guide was fantastic and we learnt so much about it all. We thought it was expensive but having been on it felt it was well worth the money, would recommend this.

Corsica 8.45am start - did Panoramic Gulf of Valinco & Taravo River - not thrilled with this although we did see some of the island, the Sartene trip might have been better.

You had to be at the coach 15 minutes before the above times, it was a bit early but at least you weren't rushed when you got back to the ship!! You can look up all trips on the Thomson web site. Hope you have a good cruise I'm sure you will

We took a long time doing research and deciding which excursions to go on, in the end we feel we picked the right ones for us, as follows:

Monaco & Monte Carlo 8.00am start - a good trip with very informative guide

Puccini Lake & Pisa 1.00pm start - The Puccini Lake was a bit of a disappointment as you couldnt hear the music because of the noise of the boat engine. We then went on to Pisa and had a bit of time on our own there, it was a good trip.

Rome & Vatican City 7.45am start - this was the hi-lite of the holiday for us, toured round Rome in the coach and saw quite a bit, although not the Trevi Fountain or Spanish Steps. Had a good 3 course lunch in a nice Restaurant with wine provided. Then the coach took us to the Vatican City, went round a few of the museums, St Peter's Basilica and Sistine Chapel, our Guide was fantastic and we learnt so much about it all. We thought it was expensive but having been on it felt it was well worth the money, would recommend this.

Corsica 8.45am start - did Panoramic Gulf of Valinco & Taravo River - not thrilled with this although we did see some of the island, the Sartene trip might have been better.

You had to be at the coach 15 minutes before the above times, it was a bit early but at least you weren't rushed when you got back to the ship!! You can look up all trips on the Thomson web site. Hope you have a good cruise I'm sure you will

thanks were off on 23rd oct and will do rome did wonder at the cost but if it is worth it you dont mind .

regards brian

thanks were off on 23rd oct and will do rome did wonder at the cost but if it is worth it you dont mind .

regards brian

we did the same cruise on the same week last year and it was wonderful - i hope the weather is as great for you as it was for us!

Rome on your own was the option we chose - meant we could do what we liked once there but had pre-arranged transport as we weren't sure on getting the train in like other passengers were doing.

I would not recommend going to barcelona from palamos - its a very long journey and you dont get a lot of time there, stay local instead.

Whichever way you choose to go I am sure you will enjoy Rome, we chose the Rome and Vatican tour as we were a bit worried about how much walking we would do on other trips, as I have arthritis and a bit limited walking but this trip was just right for me. I agree wouldn't want to risk the train (plenty of people do though with no problems) we did think of doing the Thomson Rome on your Own as you do get the coach there and back, you can then do the Hop on Hop off bus which covers everything, only problem could be getting inside the Sistine Chapel as there are long queues, we particularly wanted to do this so another reason for this trip as we just walked straight into the Museums, St Peter's Basilica and the Sistine Chapel as we were pre-booked, depends on what you want to do in the short time you are there. Agree about Barcelona, didnt do this as I believe it was a two hour journey to get there and two hours back, people we spoke to who did this trip said it was a long tiring day and a bit rushed.

Archived