Passport Card

PreciousMissy

A single, easy to carry document, that will not get damaged if it gets wet.

Access to Canada or Mexico via land?

Ability to take a ferry to the next port if you miss the ship at a previous port. This actually happened to my tablemates on one of my cruises. They missed the ship in St. Thomas and couldn't fly because they only had the card. They were able to meet up with the ship via ferry in Tortola. They were told if they didn't have the pp card, they would have been flying home.

While you'll get home eventually, there'll be lots of delays, you'll have to visit the embassy, etc.
In most cases, getting an emergency passport is a relatively painless process that takes a day or two. Of course, even a day or two is no fun when there is an emergency.

I just recieved the passport card for our upcoming trip. While I thought I had thought of everything (insurance, emergency money, etc.) I didn't think of a passport to fly home with in case of an emergency. While it is too late to get a passport now will a drivers licsense and birth certificate be sufficient enough to fly home or do you HAVE to have a passport in case of an emergency?

Edit* Ports of call are Cozumel and Progresso

I just don't understand all this trouble for in case of emergency. Any emergency can wait til I get home. I can't do anything for the person or persons involved.

Only if I were to fall and break something. That would be a bummer but I'm not worried about it. Deal with things as they come up.

I will get a passcard just because my name isn't spelt on my bc like my dl and I did get hasseled a little bit last cruise in 05 and don't want a problem this time.

I just recieved the passport card for our upcoming trip. While I thought I had thought of everything (insurance, emergency money, etc.) I didn't think of a passport to fly home with in case of an emergency. While it is too late to get a passport now will a drivers licsense and birth certificate be sufficient enough to fly home or do you HAVE to have a passport in case of an emergency?

Edit* Ports of call are Cozumel and Progresso

No, to fly you will need a passport. But.... thousands of people cruise weekly and don't have emergencies. So, don't stress out. Enjoy your vacation.

i was just at the post office checking into the passport stuff for our own family, and on top of the passport fee, for either the card or the book there is a $15 picture fee and a $25 processing fee for each person...so it ends up being more anyway. i don't know if you can find a cheaper place for the picture or processing fee. we were wondering if we needed the cards too, and we're a family of 5. pretty spendy if we're just getting a plastic card that's not going to help us fly out of another country in an emergency. i'm trying to figure out what the Pro is to having the card....sounds like it just makes going through the US port smoother...?

If you are already getting passports, there is no need to get a passport card.

Passport card is good enough. Very, very, verry, rarely would a person have a mega emergency to get back home to. It is personal choice to getting what passport document you want. Passport card is about half the cost of a regular passport. That is what I got because not planning on going far from the U.S. yet. I might upgrade to a full passport in the future, but for now, passport card works. Just go on your cruise with a passport card and enjoy yourself. Do not worry about emergencies. The card does have a RFID computer chip in it so use the provided card sleeve they send you with it.

Archived