Whales or Dolphins from ship ?

butterflysweeti

Hi, Travelling on the Destiny in November through December 4th.

Heading from Miami to Bahamas then Turks & Caicos. Just wondering if anyone knows if I will possibly see any whales or dolphins from the cruise ship this time of year.

Anyone ever seen any from their cruise ship? Thanks so much !!!

Saw these guys mid afternoon on our sea day heading to Tampa from Belize.

2137218392_CarnivalMay2010794-1.jpg.3e694b961c479afb70bcf4d81a2b0ef8.jpg

If you really want to see whales and dolphins do a mexican riviera cruise to Cabo during mid january to mid february, we did a B2B on RCL and NCL and saw at least 50 whales and 100 dolphins from the ship at sea and a half dozen seals while tendered. Only on one cruise in the caribbean, coincidentally on the same ship during the beginning of february we saw three whales and three dolphins on the same morning between Grand Turks and San Juan.

Saw these guys mid afternoon on our sea day heading to Tampa from Belize.

[ATTACH]171629[/ATTACH]

What an amazing picture !!!!! :)

If you really want to see whales and dolphins do a mexican riviera cruise to Cabo during mid january to mid february, we did a B2B on RCL and NCL and saw at least 50 whales and 100 dolphins from the ship at sea and a half dozen seals while tendered. Only on one cruise in the caribbean, coincidentally on the same ship during the beginning of february we saw three whales and three dolphins on the same morning between Grand Turks and San Juan.

OMG! 50 whales & 100 dolphins !!! That is incredible.... I will be very happy to see one!!!

On another note, anyone ever seen a shark?

It took me 5 cruises to spot dolphins! Saw 2 briefly last May down around where you will be. Have never seen a whale from a cruise ship. Since you're in Ontario, someday you should take a trip to Cape Cod, MA and go on a whale watch...you will see many, and often right next to your boat! It's life-changing to be that close to such amazing creatures in the wild!!!:)

It took me 5 cruises to spot dolphins! Saw 2 briefly last May down around where you will be. Have never seen a whale from a cruise ship. Since you're in Ontario, someday you should take a trip to Cape Cod, MA and go on a whale watch...you will see many, and often right next to your boat! It's life-changing to be that close to such amazing creatures in the wild!!!:)

Thanks Linda, I will absolutely try & plan that for my next holiday. Any time of year, specific place or other details? You can email me if you have info?

Our first cruise is coming up, so obviously I have seen neither whale nor dolphin from a cruise ship, but I did have a dolphin surface about five yards from me while boogie boarding a few years ago at Folly Beach, SC. Scared the everliving mess out of me!

We saw a pod of dolphins on our second cruise, there must have been twenty or more. This was out in the middle of the western caribbean. My wife swears she saw a whale surface and blow but I didn't see it.

What an amazing picture !!!!! :)

OMG! 50 whales & 100 dolphins !!! That is incredible.... I will be very happy to see one!!!

On another note, anyone ever seen a shark?

Yep, our first cruise on RCCL Mariner, while tendered next to Coco Cay. We went to the other side of the ship while others were tendering to let the crowds die down and saw what had to be a 15 footer right next to the ship. The waters are so clear there you can see the bottom, it was unmistakable the way it swam. I tried to photograph it but the camera eye sometimes doesn't see what we do, all I got was a blob!

Thanks Linda, I will absolutely try & plan that for my next holiday. Any time of year, specific place or other details? You can email me if you have info?

You will see whales in any season there...we have done them all, except winter...BRRRRRR! (probably 30 or more times!). The Cape is most crowded in the summer, obviously, but all activities are in full swing as well. The whale watches we take are in Provincetown, which is at the far tip of the Cape. The town itself is awesome...lots of unique shops and restaurants, and very unique people (not for anyone who is homophobic...LOL!). We love it there. The thing that makes these whale watches so successful is that all the operators share information when they spot the whales, so a good time is had by all. The whales' feeding ground is about a half hour boat ride from the pier. Last summer one of the whales was so close to our boat that we got sprayed when he exhaled:eek: Now THAT was fun stuff!:D

Our first cruise is coming up, so obviously I have seen neither whale nor dolphin from a cruise ship, but I did have a dolphin surface about five yards from me while boogie boarding a few years ago at Folly Beach, SC. Scared the everliving mess out of me!

Wow! SURPRISE!!!!!!!!!!!! Playful little buggers, they are! LOL!:D

We did see several manatees while waiting to leave Port Canaveral this past Sept. When we did the Western Car in June 2009, we saw dalphins during dinner when we were leaving Belize or it could have been Rotan.:)

Archived