First Time on MSC- considering Poesia

mobydog

OK - there are gushy Old Dominion 'MSC is Heaven' OpEds and highly informative Scotsmen...

Then there's... me...

I've cruised MSC once (new ship in the med - Magnifica). I don't know Proesia. But MSCs reputation is for well maintained ships. Magnifica's interior decor was not overly elaborate but it was nice. Crew service and attitude in my experience was very good. Food was mixed (some very good, too many disappointments - esp. buffet); however, food is largely a head trip so - go figure. Cabins and cabin service - very good.

I had an insightful conversation with a well trained young industry lifer (ex-Princess; his preferred contract) who was attending a European naval academy. He thought that MSC's boss (a daughter of founding family of the commercial shipping corp.) was highly dedicated to the line and talented, seeking talent, and generally moving the line forward. He criticized Italian family nepotisms of on ship staffing and management where family connections etc. too often resulted in underqualified people being placed in positions over their head. He cited that as a performance and morale impediment. I think the galley of our ship may have suffered that a bit... Food varies considerably on all lines ship-to-ship.

I think Cam has a point in that a lot of cruisers go on MSC with a critical or hypercritical disposition. As 'The Talking Heads' once sang, "If you're looking for trouble, that's what you will find..."; however, I think most cruisers approach any new line experience with a bit of this attitude (especially on more budget oriented price points) and MSC is new to most so maybe 'all's fair'. But preliminary attitude is a critical component of any leisure industry experience so... if you go MSC, try to be 'easygoing' and open minded.

I think that MSC will most likely provide you a nice cruise if the price point and itinerary are to your liking. Out of Florida especially though, if you approach it with a critical eye and a attitude fixed by your prior Carnival Corp/RCI brands experience, you may find reasons for disappointment. But it will likely be due to you looking for and finding that result.

Life's a cruise - Enjoy!

it is funny that you mention CCL, because it is almost all the time when talking to people on board when they say they do not like MSC we ask them which cruise line is their favorite and they say CCL. I have found that if you LOVE CCL you do not like MSC. MSC people like the gracious elegance of cruising where CCL like in your face give it to them by the moment after moment with music, drinks, bingo...

I think when you tire of CCL and want something more elegant then MSC grows on you. I do not class MSC in the budget category. Nothing is budget about MSC. I think their price point is lower maybe because of ownership of the line is different than the others.

They put their money into cleaning that ship, technology to screen you before you embark so no disease breaks out while on a MSC cruise. They also bring the customer talent to preform each night. We have witnessed such talent in singers, trained in London conservatory of music and dancers who are real dancers.

Cruising is subjective and each person gets out of it what they want. Each person books a different line for reasons that satisfy them. There is no right or wrong.

it is funny that you mention CCL, because it is almost all the time when talking to people on board when they say they do not like MSC we ask them which cruise line is their favorite and they say CCL. I have found that if you LOVE CCL you do not like MSC. MSC people like the gracious elegance of cruising where CCL like in your face give it to them by the moment after moment with music, drinks, bingo...

I think when you tire of CCL and want something more elegant then MSC grows on you. I do not class MSC in the budget category. Nothing is budget about MSC. I think their price point is lower maybe because of ownership of the line is different than the others.

They put their money into cleaning that ship, technology to screen you before you embark so no disease breaks out while on a MSC cruise. They also bring the customer talent to preform each night. We have witnessed such talent in singers, trained in London conservatory of music and dancers who are real dancers.

Cruising is subjective and each person gets out of it what they want. Each person books a different line for reasons that satisfy them. There is no right or wrong.

There is a reason CCL is the largest cruise line, they do it right.

Mediterranean Shipping Company has a low budget cruise line that tries to run a cruise ship like the containerized cargo ships it is known for.

Once you understand that, lower your expectations accordingly.

;)

That is why some people want steak and some people want chicken and yet some want fish! There is a cruise line for everyone based on economy, ports, ship... I would not go on another CCL cruise( Have done 3) if you paid my way. Too noisy, too many announcements, and UGLY plastic looking decor!

When I began cruising 10 yrs ago, CCL was a nice start until I found that there was more to cruising for ME. I enjoy ship time, and being able to enjoy a beautiful ship and not a booze cruise suits me fine. Only on my CCL cruises people ran up and down the hallways. Noise was terrible. The constant asking for drink orders was tiring too, and the same old hairy mans leg contest and JOKES from ship to ship played out fast for me. To each his own!

I see that everyone in the cabin has to purchase the plan. We are traveling with two children, ages 5 & 10, that only drink milk and water. Would we have to purchase something for them or can we just buy it for the two adults in the room? If we have to buy something the kids won't use...how much?

Everyone in the cabin has to purchase the plan, whether they drink soda or not. When we cruised with our granddaughters back in March we opted to not get the plan as we didn't want the kids guzzling soda's all day and I don't drink much soda myself. My husband, on the other hand, drinks diet coke from the time he gets up until he goes to bed. Usually he gets a soda plan but he didn't see the sense in buying four plans when he was going to be the only one drinking soda.

Archived