Why we don't go on "all gay cruises" anymore

RickIronton

That happens quite often. And they don't even know about the parties after the ship leaves the dock.

Yep. There was the time we were leaving San Juan at night and the underwear party was just getting underway... there was hollering and hooting from the Costa ship docked next to us. :)

My friend and I just came back from a "regular" cruise and we chose this one for the itinerary. I must say, though, that even though we had fun and met a ton of wonderful people through the Cruise Critic boards, the entertainment provided by an all-gay cruise was missed by us. To be honest, we did not even bother with the ones in the regular cruises. Even the singer at the Windjammer was better at the all-gay ones.

Just an opinion.

My friend and I just came back from a "regular" cruise and we chose this one for the itinerary. I must say, though, that even though we had fun and met a ton of wonderful people through the Cruise Critic boards, the entertainment provided by an all-gay cruise was missed by us. To be honest, we did not even bother with the ones in the regular cruises. Even the singer at the Windjammer was better at the all-gay ones.

Just an opinion.

You didn't bother with the entertainment but you know the Atlantis is better? How?

My partner and I do mainstream cruises, for the cost. We live in Colorado Springs (Focus on the Family, New Life, 5 military installations, never elected a democrat to the US Senate or House) and to call the area very conservative is like saying the titanic never sank! So for us it has become our normal not to show any sort of PDA. Its not that we try and hide it, its more about self preservation in our area, and not wanting to deal with ignorant people making their comments, staring, pointing, pulling their kids closer, or any number of the things people will do when they are uncomfortable. Its sad and unfortunate that we, in this day and age, are still treated like a circus side show acts, but that is the world we live in, and it carries over to anything we do in the city or out.

Perhaps it is exactly because you are so accustomed to living with your own self imposed repression that you may have never known true freedom.

I do NOT mean freedom to carry on scandalously in public, but freedom to be who you are without having to second guess the surroundings, or stifle your own laughter.

Just free to be as completely "you" as you are legally and morally entitled to be.

I have sailed on all gay charters, with large gay groups on a "standard" sailing, and as just another passenger with no group.

I am also rather well traveled apart from cruising, and have lived in Barcelona, Paris and London, this teaches that, minus the supportive environment, liberties may only exist on paper. And precious few these are in the U.S.

Additionally I was at the forefront of the Gay, Social and Sexual Revolutions living in San Francisco in the 60's and 70's.

So, I know what certain "freedoms" are worth, and how hardly won they are.

This is all to say that, apart from the parties and activities and entertainment available on a RSVP cruise, the "ambiance" is genuinely priceless.

Unfortunately, this all-encompassing freedom is only available in a precious few places in the world (countable on the fingers of one hand in the U.S.) or anywhere in "mainstream" society.

One of these just happens to be conveniently onboard a luxury Holland America ship with wonderful friends, both old and new, which sails the Caribbean while you're at it.

Again, perhaps you should allow yourself to experience total FREEDOM firsthand even if it is only for one week. At least you will know.

Flip the coin - I live in the San Francisco Bay Area where even the conservative areas are relatively tolerant. It's sometimes a culture shock to get on a ship with people from middle America who claim never to have seen gay people before - and sometime react negatively to it. When I was with my ex and we sailed together there were a couple of times when we were 'called out' for being gay and so we found that we went into the closet when we got on ships. So a gay cruise sounds like it would be perfect - but cost, convenience and the overwhelming gay environment I think makes it a bit unattractive. After all my cruises, I still haven't done a gay one...but I will never say never (This writer would substitute the word prevalent, because overwhelming is strictly subjective)

More or less EXACTLY !

Yes, the all gay charters like RSVP are more expensive than any non-charter cruise.

BUT, there is value added that more than compensates for the difference. AND is rarely available at ANY price!

This is mainly in two areas: the entertainment & parties, but even more so in the people.

I am NOT referring to all the "Eye Candy", which is certainly there, but to the true friends you make onboard.

These, very frequently, become much more than just ship-board acquaintances.

And it is up to you just how deeply you submerse yourself into all that is available. Quiet solitude with dear friends is also equally available.

The only parallel I can draw is that there are reasons a Van Gogh or Vermeer costs more than even a Picasso.

There are also reasons each February's RSVP Caribbean cruise is over 50% sold for the next year before the ship even docks.

I have done many RSVP cruises and will be sampling the Atlantis ambiance in two weeks.

Even though they are both owned by the same man, their management is separate, and Rich intends to keep them as two parallel, but different, products.

As I am NOT a L, my personal experience has not extended to Olivia or Rosie. Though most of the many "womyn" met on the RSVP cruises have sailed with one of these, and to a person they all say they prefer RSVP.

I understand that there are very few L's on Atlantis.

JMHO,

r.

PS: Just for the record, I am not, nor have I ever been, an employee or volunteer of either RSVP or Atlantis. Just a paying customer.

Excellent points in both of your posts Tamaracboy--you've hit on the advantages of Atlantis/RSVP perfectly. I'd like to add two others: 1) there are no children or anyone under the age of 18 on the gay charters which goes hand in hand with the freedom to be yourself without parents being offended, etc. and 2) though I've never been on a non-gay charter cruise, from my interaction with the crew and from the stories told by gay entertainers like Jim David and Matt Yee, the majority of the crew enjoys themselves so much more on the gay charters than their other cruises. On the Atlantis Allure cruise in Feb., Jim David joked about how depressed the crew seems to get when it comes time for us to disembark and figured that the Allure crew would need some serious help because after our cruise, the next had 2000 CHILDREN. We heard from one cabin steward that the gay charters were liked even more by the crew than the Harley bikers charter cruises which is saying something . . . not sure WHAT but something! Oh and on each of the cruises my partner and I have been on, just about every time we got off the ship we heard comments from other ship's passengers about how they envied our ship cause everyone of us was smiling and having the times of our lives.

Excellent points in both of your posts Tamaracboy--you've hit on the advantages of Atlantis/RSVP perfectly. I'd like to add two others: 1) there are no children or anyone under the age of 18 on the gay charters which goes hand in hand with the freedom to be yourself without parents being offended, etc.

We have had a few crew member's kids on some of our RSVP cruises.

Two years ago we had decorated our 4 cabins in a row with Olympic Games related stuff and as we were leaving for dinner I heard voices outside I door. When I checked the peephole it was mom and dad and their two young sons. I jerked the door open and surprised the heck out of one of the boys that was looking at the pictures of gay athletes on our door.

It wasn't an issuethough, we did not see them a lot and I am sure in oreintation they forewarned any parents about our presence.

• 2 weeks later...
There are videos on youtube, to see the semi naked hordes of only men on Allure of the Seas was quite off putting for even a gay male like me, after all the lovely straight family oriented cruise videos on those ships.

What was so "off putting"? Did you also notice: no children running around? One of the great things about all-gay cruising. By the way, there were some women passengers onboard, but not a lot compared to the number of men.

Dosent appeal to me, I'd rather take a straight cruise with a group of gay friends, I'm sure gay cruises are fun but I guess for me a cruise is a regular one, with family, friends, people of all ages kind of atmosphere.

BTW do these gay cruises have disabled people onboard or are they not allowed?

Dosent appeal to me, I'd rather take a straight cruise with a group of gay friends, I'm sure gay cruises are fun but I guess for me a cruise is a regular one, with family, friends, people of all ages kind of atmosphere.

There are passengers with all types of disabilities.

From wheelchairs, electric scooters, blind, deaf, oxygen, etc. etc.

ALSO, especially on RSVP, there are women onboard. Many L's that have "jumped ship" from Olivia, or repeat customers of RSVP.

There are also Moms and Sisters and straight friends.

This is all part of the spirit that makes RSVP cruises so outstanding, and what is unavailable on any straight cruise.

JMHO,

r.

My partner and I cruise often and always on main stream cruises. We do not want to go on a "gay" cruise as we like a mixed crowd besides the cost is outrageous on gay cruises. We have made many new friends, mostly straight couples. We have always behaved as a couple, holding hands, kissing in public just like any other couple and have never had anyone comment one way or the other. We even dance together when the mood strikes. Just go, be yourselves and enjoy the moment. It works for us....

Actually I would'nt even take a similar wild cruise if it were for straight people aged 20s to 40s, as all this is not my scene.

So Pied Piper gay groups on regular straight trips are more wholesome, where people are dressed normally throughout and there are no flambouyant types, am I right?

What do you mean "or are they not allowed"? What would even make you think that could possibly be the case.

Combined with your comment about "semi naked hordes of men" being off putting it makes me wonder what your perception of gay charters are. as Reuel says, RSVP cruises are very inclusive and very diverse.

We have made amazing friends on gay charters and some of us get together between cruises, others we only see on cruises and teh first day on board is like going back to gay camp. :)

Just to put things in perspective - I have been mostly on gay charters and from what I saw and read about the Atlantis Allure cruise, it does not appeal to me either. It' just too big and too much circuit party-like.

Actually I would'nt even take a similar wild cruise if it were for straight people aged 20s to 40s, as all this is not my scene.

So Pied Piper gay groups on regular straight trips are more wholesome, where people are dressed normally throughout and there are no flambouyant types, am I right?

I saw some flamboyant stuff on the QM2... and they weren't even part of our Pied Piper group (or apparently gay!). :rolleyes:

As for "wholesome"... any cruise is what you make of it and crazy stuff happens anywhere.

Edited by Boytjie

I saw some flamboyant stuff on the QM2... and they weren't even part of our Pied Piper group (or apparently gay!). :rolleyes:

As for "wholesome"... any cruise is what you make of it and crazy stuff happens anywhere.

I agree with you, mostly but, when the only pictures from the Oasis cruise you ever see are the ones where there are a thousand or two thousand topless guys dancing in the aqua theater, it makes me feel that it's not my scene. I'm sure there were some people more my speed somewhere else on the ship but I'd rather not pay extra cruise fare to subsidize a circuit party, which seems to be the dominant activity if the posts after that cruise are to be believed (having to clear the dance floor twice because druggies had soiled themselves, having the guy who was supplying drugs to a great number of people be arrested). Coupled with the fact that we don't hate children or straight people, I think we'll just cruise more often rather than pay the gay tax. Still, I'm intrigued by the idea of the Pied Piper sailings. What size crowd do they usually generate?

I agree with you, mostly but, when the only pictures from the Oasis cruise you ever see are the ones where there are a thousand or two thousand topless guys dancing in the aqua theater, it makes me feel that it's not my scene.

Not my scene either, too many people, too packed, too circuit party. :)

I'm sure there were some people more my speed somewhere else on the ship but I'd rather not pay extra cruise fare to subsidize a circuit party, which seems to be the dominant activity if the posts after that cruise are to be believed (having to clear the dance floor twice because druggies had soiled themselves, having the guy who was supplying drugs to a great number of people be arrested).

Parties are a big part of gay charters but there is plenty of other entertainment too. So much so that I can't see/do everything. I doubt the parties make up the biggest expense of the charter. The Allure is not typical of gay charters. ;) It was the first time a ship that size was chartered for one. It is probably typical of the Atlantis Caribbean cruises that used to take place in January - and made bigger (and attracts more attention) because the sheer size of it.

Coupled with the fact that we don't hate children or straight people, I think we'll just cruise more often rather than pay the gay tax. Still, I'm intrigued by the idea of the Pied Piper sailings. What size crowd do they usually generate?

I don't hate children or straight people either (as I am sure most on gay charters don't either); sometimes it is just nice to get away and be in a mostly gay environment for a change. I cope quite well with straights and children every day. ;)

I don't see it as a 'gay tax', it is a higher fare for a very different product. And all of us can choose how to spend our money, frequent cruises, more expensive cruises, no flying, etc.

Pied Piper can range from small groups to very large ones. We were on QM2 with less than 40 people; their post Thanksgiving cruise has a couple of hundred, and maybe close to a thousand. Pied Piper is a very different experience and a nice option. I personally am not sure how I feel about very large groups on any cruise where they may dominate/take over significant sections of the ship. That's a whole other discussion.

Edited by Boytjie

***** SNIP *****

Coupled with the fact that we don't hate children or straight people, I think we'll just cruise more often rather than pay the gay tax. Still, I'm intrigued by the idea of the Pied Piper sailings. What size crowd do they usually generate?

***** SNIP *****

I don't hate children or straight people either (as I am sure most on gay charters don't either); sometimes it is just nice to get away and be in a mostly gay environment for a change. I cope quite well with straights and children every day. ;)

I don't see it as a 'gay tax', it is a higher fare for a very different product. And all of us can choose how to spend our money, frequent cruises, more expensive cruises, no flying, etc.

Pied Piper can range from small groups to very large ones. We were on QM2 with less than 40 people; their post Thanksgiving cruise has a couple of hundred, and maybe close to a thousand. Pied Piper is a very different experience and a nice option. I personally am not sure how I feel about very large groups on any cruise where they may dominate/take over significant sections of the ship. That's a whole other discussion.

First there always are children and straight people onboard the gay charters.

Crew for one, mothers, sisters, straight friends and various others.

Many gays bring their children and frequently crew have children onboard.

THERE IS NO DISCRIMINATION against anyone ! !

As for Pied Piper, as Peter wrote, they have very many cruises of all itineraries, all lines and all sizes.

Last year's Post Thanksgiving Cruise (always their largest every year) topped 1,000 for the first time. We were basically 1/2 of the Solstice passengers.

For the larger groups, they have their own entertainers & parties & events & excursions.

Everyone else on board (especially the women/wives) are always asking "Can we join YOUR parties?"

Now to the biggest advantage to Pied Piper: Price !

While one pays more (NOT a gay tax) for the all gay cruises because of all the multiple entertainers, DJ's, equipment etc. that they bring on board, with PP one is getting the advantage of a very large group discount. Enough so that they can pay for their (less expensive) entertainer, and their own staff provides support for their various events & excursions.

It is a very good deal, but you do NOT get the all-gay experience, which is awesome !

JMHO,

r.

Just to be clear, when i said I don't hate children or straight people, I meant that in the sense that the biggest reason so many people give for paying the premium for gay cruises is the entertainment and the absence of straight people and children. Whenever this comes up on this board, you hear people talk about how it's worth it not to have to deal with families. That's all I meant.

Just to be clear, when i said I don't hate children or straight people, I meant that in the sense that the biggest reason so many people give for paying the premium for gay cruises is the entertainment and the absence of straight people and children. Whenever this comes up on this board, you hear people talk about how it's worth it not to have to deal with families. That's all I meant.

Thanks for the clarification. All we've ever done is RSVP cruises although we do have a mainsteam transatlantic coming up in a little over a week. It's not because we don't really enjoy an all gay cruise but always wanted to try different iteneraries. I do think we'll miss the entertainment but as far as how we're treated doubt that will be an issue. I understand there can be homophobia everywhere but we can easily deal with those occasions just like in everyday life. Will be interesting to see if we have the same level of service we've come to expect from the HAL staff. We are hopeful that we enjoy our upcoming cruise so we can have more options in the future. I think we'll always continue to sail with RSVP but think it will be great to have more choices.

First there always are children and straight people onboard the gay charters.

Crew for one, mothers, sisters, straight friends and various others.

Many gays bring their children and frequently crew have children onboard.

THERE IS NO DISCRIMINATION against anyone ! !

I don't recall ever seeing passengers with their kids on any of the RSVP cruises I have been on (OK, there are always a few daddies on board! :D ) but I have seen a few crew members' kids onboard.

Who can forget the Long Island Jewish mom on one of our cruises working the ship to find her son a husband... LOL

I won't say 'no kids' is one of the biggest reasons to go on a gay charter; I think it is almost expected since it is a more adult environment.

As for not wanting to deal with families, I have seen many posts on the other boards about people wanting to avoid their families on a ship... and kids. LOL

In the end its all about what one enjoys and what one is willing to pay for it. It may seem that I am always defending gay charters here but it is mostly an attempt to explain my experiences on RSVP cruises and perhaps address some of the myths and legends of gay charters.

I won't say 'no kids' is one of the biggest reasons to go on a gay charter; I think it is almost expected since it is a more adult environment.

As for not wanting to deal with families, I have seen many posts on the other boards about people wanting to avoid their families on a ship... and kids. LOL

In the end its all about what one enjoys and what one is willing to pay for it. It may seem that I am always defending gay charters here but it is mostly an attempt to explain my experiences on RSVP cruises and perhaps address some of the myths and legends of gay charters.

And I also don't mean to be as critical of them as I likely sound. It's just that every time we hear that friends have had a good time and we get close to booking, we see pictures from what looks like a topless circuit party but is actually a gay cruise and we shy away. I think we'll likely test the waters on this in a year or two on a gay group on a mainstream cruise. Rosie's cruise line has some broadway cruises or we might try a pied piper sailing. We actually did sail on the same cruise as a couple of gay groups now, both by coincidence. One was a group of 100 gay square dancers from the southwest and the other was a group for older gay men and their admirers.

On a more humorous note, I should say that one of the more off-putting endorsements gay cruises have ever gotten with me was once when we were on a mainstream cruise and a guy who loved gay cruises was chatting with us. I said that I wasn't interested in a topless circuit party-type dance every night and he said, his voice full of empathy, "don't worry, they accept all body types." Ouch!!! I've always considered by self extra-average but that was quite a blow to the ego!

On a more humorous note, I should say that one of the more off-putting endorsements gay cruises have ever gotten with me was once when we were on a mainstream cruise and a guy who loved gay cruises was chatting with us. I said that I wasn't interested in a topless circuit party-type dance every night and he said, his voice full of empathy, "don't worry, they accept all body types." Ouch!!! I've always considered by self extra-average but that was quite a blow to the ego!

LOL Schmucks are found everywhere... He must have been an Atlantis guy! :)

<ducks>

I've just returned from a 5 Day sailing out of New Orleans with 11 girlfriends. We are straight, range in age from 35 to 55 and just like to have a little fun.

While boarding, one of my friends kept backing into a young man in line so we apologized for being "boisterous" and a tish loud and made introductions. He had on a t-shirt with a bunch of names on it and explained that he was with a "group" of cruisers in a "cruise club". Craig was on his 1st cruise, had had his first flight, first trip to New Orleans and it was his birthday week. It wasn't until later that we discovered his "cruise club" was an organized African American gay/lesbian cruise. We were terribly excited. Now, I can be loud and silly but I mostly just like to sit back and watch but some of my girls karaoke and dance. We had GREAT fun on the dance floor with our club cruiser friends and most definitely, "a good time was had by all".

A great majority of my closest friends are gay so I'm used to being out in public with displays of affection but I was a bit worried as my perception was that a Carnival Cruise out of NOLA might not include the most "inclusive" of groups. However, while I'm sure it was there, I never saw any "disparaging looks" from any other cruisers...okay...did I mention that WE are a bit loud and obnoxious and we may be used to disparaging looks :D?

We had so much fun watching the club cruisers dance and met some really nice young men. Alas...you know how it is that in a cruise, you will see the same irritating bitchy woman or rude and crude football fan but never the people you chance upon and hope to spend time with? I only saw Craig one other time. He assured me that he was having a blast on his first cruise and there would be others. And, with a quick hug and a whiff of that intoxicating after shave...he was off to "mingle" with all his new friends.

So, I came here to CC and found this thread which I found very interesting. And, if anyone knows Craig from Norfolk...I never did make note of the name of the cruise club...tell him Donna say's I hope our paths cross again one day.:)