excursions

tuscandream

The West End beaches are WONDERFUL! Tabayana, Fosters, Bananarama...they're all connected. Supposedly the best snorkeling from the beach is Tabayana.

Mahogany Bay looks nice, but also very man-made...all put there as part of the cruise port.

Well worth getting a guide (like Victor Bodden or Rony) who you can hire for the day. They will take you anywhere you want to go, in case you want to see some other things on the way to the beach...then they wait while you're at the beach. The ride to the beach takes a while, but the scenery and the views are beautiful!!! It's an amazing island...get away from the port and experience it!:)

We didn't go to the beach because we took an excursion across the island to Gumbalimba Park. However, the beach at Mahogany Bay did look like fun. If we ever go back to Roatan, we will probably just hang out there for the day.

351.jpg262.jpg

Thanks Linda, Do you know how long it takes to get to the west end? So the flying chair lift just takes you to the man made beach? Do you have any pictures posted to see the beaches? Thanks

I believe this new Carnival port is a little further away than the port we were at last year, so probably a little over a half hour. But the ride is well worth it. You have to cross over the mountain to get there, so you get some awesome views of all the lush vegetation and the ocean.

I've included a link to our photos is webshots from last year. Unfortunately they got mixed up when we downloaded, so are a bit out of order. Feel free to look at whatever pics you want. Forgive all the people pics...we were with a big group cruise with the Saints & Sinners...LOL!

Pages 1-3 and 9-16 are Roatan

Pages 16-20 and 43-44 are Cozumel (we did the Cozumel Bar Hop bus...lots of fun and got to see some gorgeous beaches that most people never see)

Pages 21-22 are Bannister Island (a beach break/snorkel tour from Belize)

http://travel.webshots.com/album/575276837pofFaZ?vhost=travel&start=0

It's too bad Carnival didn't make Mahogany Bay their "private" beach like other cruise lines do. I like to go where everything is included(except water sports) and you can just have a relaxing day.

I think Mahogany Bay is pretty much Carnival's private beach, but no, not all inclusive. I've heard good things about it, but I just prefer to go to more natural places. For example, if you're into snorkeling, it's not good there because they damaged the ecosystem blasting and building the new port:(

I don't have pics easily accessible, but Tabayana in Roatan is beautiful Soft sand, lots of palm trees, a rocky cliff on the left and some of the best snorkeling from land we have. Belize isn't like other ports where you can go ashore and head to a beach - there are a series of barrier islands that you wind through, and most of the shore excursions go to one of these. We have done Goff's Caye which was tiny but quite fun. When we make it back, my youngest will be old enough to cave tube, which would be my choice.

You can google both places I list and see pictures easily.

For anyone interested, here is another link to pics we took on the Legend in 2007, a mere 3 years ago. This will show you the changes that have taken place since we fell in love with that wonderful unspoiled island back then. The Roatan pics start at the bottom of the page and go on from there. When you see the port that we originally docked at and compare it to the photos posted previously by ANGSWIN, you will see why I get sad. Although it may be prettier to the eye now, it isn't what the island is all about:( The worst part is that awful chairlift that just ruins the landscape:mad:

http://family.webshots.com/album/561479887KaVzPB?start=192

Archived