Typhoon Megi

Kween Karen

I have been searching for news of any impact Typhoon Megi is having on cruise ships. The TV news said Chine and Vietnam are being hit too. I know the Amsterdam is in that area but can't find anything about it. I have friends sailing on that cruise....it is the Grand Asia........

Anyone able to find out anything about it???

Super Typhoon Megi smashed into the northern Philippines on Monday, causing landslides in mountainous areas, whipping up huge waves along the coast and...

....Megi's force slowed marginally after making landfall with maximum wind gusts of 225 kilometres an hour....

More here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20101018/ts_afp/philippinestyphoon_20101018113131

I'm looking for more for you..

Joanie

Super Typhoon Megi smashed into the northern Philippines on Monday, causing landslides in mountainous areas, whipping up huge waves along the coast and...

....Megi's force slowed marginally after making landfall with maximum wind gusts of 225 kilometres an hour....

More here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20101018/ts_afp/philippinestyphoon_20101018113131

I'm looking for more for you..

Joanie

Thank you very much for responding. That is good news.

Heard from a friend onboard the Amsterdam yesterday. They were expected to arrive in Hong Kong today. Depending on the direction of the typhoon they may have to stay in HK 3 or 4 days. Hope to hear more today. P&C:):) Chatterbox

Heard from a friend onboard the Amsterdam yesterday. They were expected to arrive in Hong Kong today. Depending on the direction of the typhoon they may have to stay in HK 3 or 4 days. Hope to hear more today. P&C:):) Chatterbox

Thanks.

Please do keep us informed.

My parents are on the ship right now. The last e-mail I received from her, on October 20, said they were having a great time and hadn't felt Megi. Here's what she said, in part, and hope this helps those of you who have friends on the ship as well:

"Everything is going great! We are having a fantastic time! It's just all unbelieveable - I can't wait for you two to do this. The rest of the world is amazing - so beautiful and interesting - we'll have so many things to show you and funny stories to tell. The ship is fantastic and definitely an easy way to do it all. Taking lots of pictures and video and keeping the journal. Did you know there is a typhoon off the coast of us (we're in Hong Kong now). We can't seem to get away from these hurricanes. We haven't really felt it. We leave tonight for Viet Nam so hope we skirt by it!"

Thanks for posting the update.

I wish someone was giving frequent updates like this so we could follow along.

I am glad your folks are having such a good time. Their email reminds me of the ones I was sending to my kids just a year ago when I was being TOTALLY amazed by the experience of a Grand Voyage?

Please share with us any time you feel you can.

Thanks for the post. My friends that are onboard said the same abut the cruise. I have not heard anything further from them since they arrived in Hong Kong. I'm sure they are busy enjoying themselves.:):)

I'm sure they are. I wish I had spent longer in Hong Kong (when it was under British jurisdiction). Big city with lots to see.

I've e-mailed them to send more info on Megi. In the meantime, for those of you with friends on the ship or interest in this excursion, here is a little more of my parents' recent post...just fun to read (especially for me to live vicariously, as I am a stay-at-home mom with 3 young kids!)...and when I get more info on how Megi has affected the ship, I will post again:

"We are having a fabulous time! The ship is beautiful and our cabin is great! We love our dinner group - table of 8 - a semi-retired orthopedist and his researcher wife from Nevada (husband was originally from South Africa and his wife is originally from England), a retired banker and his wife who has a teaching degree but didn't teach - from Washington state, and a business owner and his wife, a pension fund manager (he was in WWII! as a navigator - they are about 87, we think, and spry) and they are from Nevada. The others are around our age - in their 60's anyway, we think - an erudite group and we are having a blast at dinner. The food is terrific and the shows are varied and wonderful. And, Anne, you would love bingo! No machines and only 10 bucks for 3 games or $5 for one! This is my style of ship! I've only played once, though, (didn't win) because there is so much going on on the ship all the time, I can't get to everything! We've had a little rough weather but so far the pills have kept up in good stead. Last night we had 50 mile an hour gales and 30 foot seas! We love the 7th floor - so quiet - only 57 cabins as compared to 211 on the main deck! We were so lucky - and we think our cabin placement was computer generated. We'll take it! But we never see anyone! I don't know if they are all taken. Oh! Lorna Luft was on our ship from Japan to Shanghai and entertained for us and told us about her life growing up. She was really great and gracious. She was probably staying on our deck! Another night the entertainment was to be the 3 Chinese Tenors - but the Chinese government would only allow one of them to board in Shanghai! He was the founder of the group and lives in Australia now. But on 24 hours notice, he went ahead and put on a great 1-man show. He had a fantastic voice and was quite a comedian, too. The entertainment on the ship has been great, really - and varied - not just Las Vegas dancing. I can't believe I am really getting to see all of this. Tiananmen Square, The Great Wall, The Forbidden City, Shanghai (memorable night river cruise with Dad down the Bund in a lighted boat - only Americans aboard - Chinese were snapping our picture!), and Hong Kong - not to mention, Tokyo and Russia. Just fantastic and I can't wait for you to do the same some day. Traffic and crowds have been unbelievable in China. Only one tour bus wreck so far :) Minor one. I think we have seen all of the 3 billion Chinese people that live here!"

Hi everyone,

I am from Hong Kong and I would like to inform you that, Typhoon Megi did not hit Hong Kong directly, which was different from what most observatories had predicted. The typhoon eventually went to Taiwan, and in Hong Kong it was still sunny over the past few days. Unbelievable!

In the past week a number of cruise ships came to Hong Kong, but luckily none of them had their itineraries affected by the typhoon. HAL Amsterdam arrived to and departed from our city on time.

Nice weather indeed...

CIMG1985.jpg.a7669df6c2a129e7e79911b3dbe44013.jpg

CIMG2025.jpg.53f6ccd30775b1d73d35c79474682560.jpg

Archived