Done "Discover Scuba"??????

lvcruzers

Has anyone one done "Discover Scuba"? We are on the Carnival Glory - Western Carribbean - Nov. 28th. We are interested in doing the discover scuba to see if we would like to take scuba lessons. Has anyone done this in Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, or Grand Caymen? We were thinking of doing it through the ship. Any info will be appreciated!

Thanks

Tona*

took my daughter and a friend on a 'Discovery Dive' in May - I participated with them altho I've been diving for over 30 years

set it up with Sunset House in Cayman - contacted them by e-mail

We were the only ones at Sunset that day so we certainly didn't have to worry about crowds or being rushed. Cost the same as the excursion cost from the ship (FOS) but of course we had to arrange own transportation (you could walk it .. it is 1 mile, or take a taxi)

I had absolutely no complaints and they had a great time.

(and a great bar for the post dive libation/lunch)

I have done a discover scuba session twice in Cozumel. Both times were with Eagle Ray Divers. I can't recommend them enough. They took care of my wife and I very well. Great outfit in general and very patient dive masters who have all the time in the world for first timers. We will be doing a certified dive with them in 3 weeks on the Crown Princess.

The discover scuba session is the way to go. You will get some lessons on the boat before you leave and then again in shallow water. When you are comfortable you will take your first dive which will change the way you look at the ocean. It's the most amazing experience ever. Nothing to be nervous about, the folks at Eagle Ray will take care of you and "hold your hand" until you are 100% comfortable. Max depth is 40' which is a piece of cake. Enjoy, I have no doubt you will be certified very soon.

actually most dive classes I've looked into for DD include the cost of the 4 checkout dives and there's no 'refund' for doing only three so the benefit of the "did one already" is somewhat questionable but my experience he in FL may not be the same as other areas. Also that 'credit' was for 1 year as I recall.

Ask .... don't assume and possibly get mad....

actually most dive classes I've looked into for DD include the cost of the 4 checkout dives and there's no 'refund' for doing only three so the benefit of the "did one already" is somewhat questionable but my experience he in FL may not be the same as other areas. Also that 'credit' was for 1 year as I recall.

I never looked at it like that, but you're right. Anywhere you pay for checkout, you'll usually be paying for 4 dives.

I was just going to say to everyone...

I have never seen a shop give a discount for Open Water training when someone says they already have their Discover Scuba training. Since you are paying for a full course, might as well get all four dives.

Heck at my shop you get all four dives unless you want to sit on the shore while the rest of the class does the first dive. :)

Also, the Discover Scuba Dive is good for 1 year at all shops and good for lifetime at the shop you did the Discover Scuba but only if they filed the right paperwork with PADI.

If you didn't get a card, they probably never recorded and submitted the appropriate paperwork.

Archived