Just Back from Ecstasy 2/12/05

RonandNan2

Just back from the Ecstasy...would be happy to answer any and all questions on boat, Cozumel, and Playa that I can.

Where we satisfied?.....Home two days and am booking another cruise!!:D

Freezing here...wish I was on Paradise Beach...:cool:

:) OK....First time cruiser and you are just the person I'm looking for, for some answers...hehe

How was paradise Beach? We are going on the Ecstasy on 4/4 and are planning on going to paradise beach and then to senor frogs. How far is Paradise Beach from the port? Are there places to change clothes and get ready to go somewhere else? What time did you have to be back on the ship?

Are there shops right as you get off the boat in Cozumel?

Thanks so much for being there....sorry so many questions...just excited and inquiring! :)

Just the person I am searching for. We leave Saturday on Ecstasy for a 5 day. Going with my 2 year old, my DH, and my in laws. This is our 2nd cruise, but first with our daughter.

How was the food? How were the ports? What should we hit and what should we miss? What were the day at sea options (things to do)?

How was the weather?

Thanks, glad you had a good time.

:) OK....First time cruiser and you are just the person I'm looking for, for some answers...hehe

How was paradise Beach? We are going on the Ecstasy on 4/4 and are planning on going to paradise beach and then to senor frogs. How far is Paradise Beach from the port? Are there places to change clothes and get ready to go somewhere else? What time did you have to be back on the ship?

Are there shops right as you get off the boat in Cozumel?

Thanks so much for being there....sorry so many questions...just excited and inquiring! :)

I will do my best to answer your questions. It was our first cruise also.

First...Paradise Beach is just what the name says. Soft white sand, turquoise clear water. Fabulous Margaritas and Pina Coladas. The quac could use a little more cilantro...but it was good. It was about 10 mins from the port. The taxi is $12 a car. Entrance to PB is free, but for $5 you can get a bracelet that allows you to use the snorkel equipment, ocean float, and ocean kayak. $20 deposit on snorkel equipment and kayak. PB is very relaxed and laid back. Not the party atmosphere during the day. They have two beautiful mackaws that hang in the bar area. Every one is very friendly. Clean changing closets, an outside shower to wash the sand off, excellent bathrooms.

We were in Cozumel from about 9 to 10. You have to be back onboard 30 mins before departure. There are shops right off the pier. If you are going to Playa Del Carmen, though...I got way better deals there on jewelry and stuff than in Cozumel.

Can't comment on Senor Frogs..didn't go. Did go to Panchos Backyard for an early dinner/late lunch....AWESOME!!!

I can't say this enough...use sunscreen....we burned to a crisp in a few hours. Especially while snorkeling!!

Hope this helps! Have a great cruise!

Sounds like you had a great time. how long did it take for you to get on the ship? and did you tender to calico?

Embarking was a breeze! It took us less than 1 hour from parking our car, getting the shuttle, getting room assignment from the porter, going through security, and getting aboard. FYI...don't wait until 1:30 like your documents say, we boarded about noon.

We did tender in Calica. It is only a limepit...hence the name Calica. However, the water is gorgeous!!! You can rent a car right there or take a taxi ($10) into Playa. I went by myself. DH was burned and dehydrated so he stayed onboard.

At about 11 am, the merchants set up some tents right there on Calica by the ship. Some great stuff! I bought two hammocks. They also have a beer, frozen drink tent, if you are interested. $2 ice cold Coronas, and $3 daquaris. Both EXCELLENT!!

Don't save your beach time for Playa...the beach is not nearly as nice as the ones on Cozumel!

Have a great time....and don't sweat the small stuff!!

Just the person I am searching for. We leave Saturday on Ecstasy for a 5 day. Going with my 2 year old, my DH, and my in laws. This is our 2nd cruise, but first with our daughter.

How was the food? How were the ports? What should we hit and what should we miss? What were the day at sea options (things to do)?

How was the weather?

Thanks, glad you had a good time.

The food was fine. Some was hit or miss. But of course, there is plenty so if you pick something that you don't like, just get something else. Coffee is crappy, if you are a coffee drinker. Don't bother paying for an espresso or latte in the Rolls Royce either....YUKO!!

We did not do an excursion on either port. We are the type of folks that take it as it comes. Cozumel is beautiful! There is an excellent place to take pictures when you get into the square. You can stand between Palm trees and get the boat in the background. We did a little shopping downtown, ate at Panchos Backyard....two thumbs up! And spent the day at Paradise Beach.

Playa...miss the beach, hit the shops!! There is also a lovely espresso place in the center of the first shopping area! (Coffee addict here!)

Definitely take Super Shopper Jason's maps of both ports. Even if you don't hit the "recommended" shops, it does help navigate. Also...don't fret about taxi's. They are EVERYWHERE!!!!

The at sea days...they had every hour on the hour with planned activities. We played chess, read, watched the silly drunk people by the pool, etc.

Since you are taking a young un'...we heard very positive things about Camp Carnival!!

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions!!!

Have a great time!

I love these reviews! We leave 2 weeks from tomorrow on the Ecstasy! Cant wait but I am wondering how to determine what to choose to do? I have a list of places to go like beaches, mini golf, eat..... I have 2 places to eat that sound good in Coz. How will we ever choose? Oh well, it is nice to have choices!

Well, to each his own, and I'm glad the original poster had a blast !!

We too were on that cruise, and out of 7 Carnival cruises, was not impressed with the ship or staff,in comparison to other cruises. Yes, we boarded as soon as we got there, as the Ship lays vacant Thurs to Saturday. All was well until about 11pm when we came back to cabin to sleep, and I use the term loosely. We had E138....and a long freight train ran overhead every night until 5am. Apparently there was a small Galley overhead, and carts rolled ALL night, every night, along with the occasional crash of something dropping. YES, for all the good it did, we complained to the Purser. In the morning after we complained, the Staff on deck 7 ALL knew about it. They either commented as we went down the hall, or set other 'messages'..i.e. no pool towels, no silverware on room service trays, no ice, etc.

As far as Cozumel...we have gone to Paradise Beach in the past..we no longer pay for most tours. We went to MrSanchos by taxi, $13....it was awesome. Same amenities as Paradice, but no entry fee....great restaurant, bathrooms, drinks , etc. Shop on the way back...

Calica is NOT by tender....its by a LONG gangway. We did take the tour {Calica Beach Break} as it is worth the money, both beach and transportation wise.

No sunburn here...and spent 4 days {8 hrs + } in the sun. Put 15 SPF on after breakfast, and we were good to go all day.

Please have a great time...1 bad experience out of 7 has not swayed me from Carnival. And we are looking forward to Conquest in May.

Archived