Curious about auto-tips...

Soonerbaby

They definitely know who's been naughty (and removed their tips) as well as who's been nice...

And that in my opinion is a shame. I've said it before, and I'm going to say it again. IMO Auto Tips, do nothing but remove the incentive for the service staff to provide the best possible service to the customer.

Why? Here are a few reasons.

1) Most people (cruisers) are to intimidated to remove, or lower, the tips for bad service.

2) The onus, is on the cruiser to supplement the wages of the service staff regardless of the level of service rendered.

3) Only in the cruise world, are you expected to "tip" before any service is given, and then you are looked down upon when you remove or reduce tips for poor service.

4) A gartuity is not an entitlement!! It is an expression of gratitude, for a job well done, and needs to be earned!!

Just my $0.02 worth. So bring on the flames, I can stand the heat!!

And that in my opinion is a shame. I've said it before, and I'm going to say it again. IMO Auto Tips, do nothing but remove the incentive for the service staff to provide the best possible service to the customer.

1) Most people (cruisers) are to intimidated to remove, or lower, the tips for bad service.

2) The onus, is on the cruiser to supplement the wages of the service staff regardless of the level of service rendered.

3) Only in the cruise world, are you expected to "tip" before any service is given, and then you are looked down upon when you remove or reduce tips for poor service.

4) A gartuity is not an entitlement!! It is an expression of gratitude, for a job well done, and needs to be earned!!

i believe the only ones intimidated are those that due it for reasons other than service.

i would have no problem informing, when asked, why i was decreasing my tips.

luckily, i've never had to.

Wrong ask your waitstaff

Your waitstaff's answer WILL be whatever they feel will elicit the most money from you. As their answer should be.

You have no business asking them about their pay, they have no responsibility to tell you anything truthful about their pay.

Wonder how you'd react if they asked you about your income?

Worst source of information about tips IS the tippee.

You haven't tipped anyone until you leave the ship, your cc is billed, etc.

Just because they are on your S&S doesn't mean you have paid them already.

I'm certainly not intimidated. I've removed/with held tips from 3 individuals in 50 cruises.

No different than the same in most any sit down restaurant in the USA. Most States allow restaurants to pay workers just over $2.00 per hour and work split shifts throughout the day. At least the ship includes room & board, clothing, and medical, and in some cases travel to and from the ship.

Even if you prepay your tips, the workers do not receive any of the money BEFORE the cruise is over. That is the only way it can be because you have the OPTION of removing ALL tips on the last day.

THERE IS NO TIPPING BEFORE SERVICE IS RECEIVED. THAT IS A WHOLLY INVALID COMPLAINT.

I cruised long before auto-tips and saw the reason for auto-tips, CHEAP SCREWS. I demand good service ANYWHERE that tipping is expected. But I also EXPECT to pay for that good service. I am as against 'entitlements' as any one person can be, but when they DO preform good service which they do 99% of the time, they ARE deserving to be tipped, not stiffed by people whose pockets squeak.

And I find that there is NO downturn in service under auto-tipping. In fact, it may be slightly more willing for the chance of an over tip. Service is not as professional as when the were far fewer ships and far fewer passengers, but that has nothing to do with the willingness of the workers.

I wish Carnival would just increase their fares by $10 a day and end this controversy. In fact, I've made that suggestion on their website. That way, people could just tip the way they want and Carnival could secretly divide up the $10 per day. Problem solved and a win/win for everyone. There would be no long lines at Guest Services with indignant guests removing their tips under the pretense they are going to personally take care of every service provider. Service providers would still be motivated to work for the extra tips.

Archived