My (late) Serenade Review-August 29, 2010

This was a great review! Very informative. Thanks for all the work you put into this. Your review of Creole Cruises in Antigua has helped me finally decide my excursion for our cruise in January. Thank you for that!

We took the Serenade through the Panama Canal on our very first cruise now I'm hooked on cruising. And now you've got me thinking that we should sail the Serenade again.

For your trip to St Thomas I would also recommend taking the trip over to St John's and going to Trunk Bay. It was a great beach and decent snorkeling. We had a great time there. Magen's Bay is also a nice beach if you just want to be a beach bum...and it is a pretty quick trip from either dock to help optimize your day.

Thanks again for the great work!

Thank you so much, I'm glad the review was helpful! Please say hello to Glenn for me when you see him in January. We're trying to find an excuse to go back to Antigua soon, maybe for a land-based vacation. We've gone with Creole twice, so we've never seen the whole island, LOL! We would like to stay there a couple days, visit with Creole, and take some other tours. We love the Serenade. It's my favorite ship. My husband missed the Royal Promenade on the Adventure, however he said he loves both ships for different reasons. I find that's the sentiment of a lot of people on CC.

We'll check out Trunk Bay. I'm torn between doing a day sail, heading to the beach, or taking a tour of the island. We'll decide as we get closer to our trip.

Happy sailing! Enjoy your cruise :)

Really enjoyable & informative read. We had been considering this itinerary for September 2011, after what you've written, this is what we are now going to do. Thanks!:D

Thank you! Great choice! Enjoy your cruise :)

• 2 weeks later...

Faith413 - I'm having my T/A reserve my husband and I the post cruise RCCL Old and New San Juan Tour with airport dropoff. I've been researching for months and can't find any other way to pass by time from leaving the ship to our 4:30 p.m. flight. The cost is $33 pp for three hours. It starts at 8 a.m. as soon as we get off the ship. That means the tour will end 11 a.m.? I don't know what to do until 4:30 p.m. My husband doesn't want to do the Rainforest....doesn't want to get wet before we get on plane. Did I make the right choice? :eek: Any suggestions? I just want our luggages to be held somewhere while we enjoy the last day.

OK, I have a suggestion for you. Three yrs ago when we did the Serenade for the first time, we also had time to kill before our flight home. After reading many reviews on this board, we found Jose's Segway Tours. We had a 3pm flight home, so we did the morning segway tour. At that time they were offering the luggage valet in San Juan (they no longer do this) so we sent the luggage to the airport, but still had three carry on bags. We went to the segway office. They held all our carry ons in their office for no fee and we did a 2-3 hr tour of the city. It was a great way to see everything and Jose and his wife (can't remember her name) were great!! I would consider this as a possiblity. You could take your time getting off the ship, do the noon tour and then go to the airport about 3:00. It would run you a little more than the city tour, but well worth it. http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/old-san-juan-segway-tour/

Another option is to go to Barachina's (a restaurant in Old San Juan) they will hold luggage at no fee (although they like if you eat there) and then you can make up your own tour but just catching a cab and having the driver take you around the city.

Either way, I would find something to do. I know there are many many people who go to the airport and sit and wait for hours before their flight. But that is not something I will do. I would rather walk up and down the streets for hours on my own than just sit in an airport and wait!!

OK, I have a suggestion for you. Three yrs ago when we did the Serenade for the first time, we also had time to kill before our flight home. After reading many reviews on this board, we found Jose's Segway Tours. We had a 3pm flight home, so we did the morning segway tour. At that time they were offering the luggage valet in San Juan (they no longer do this) so we sent the luggage to the airport, but still had three carry on bags. We went to the segway office. They held all our carry ons in their office for no fee and we did a 2-3 hr tour of the city. It was a great way to see everything and Jose and his wife (can't remember her name) were great!! I would consider this as a possiblity. You could take your time getting off the ship, do the noon tour and then go to the airport about 3:00. It would run you a little more than the city tour, but well worth it. http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/old-san-juan-segway-tour/

Another option is to go to Barachina's (a restaurant in Old San Juan) they will hold luggage at no fee (although they like if you eat there) and then you can make up your own tour but just catching a cab and having the driver take you around the city.

Either way, I would find something to do. I know there are many many people who go to the airport and sit and wait for hours before their flight. But that is not something I will do. I would rather walk up and down the streets for hours on my own than just sit in an airport and wait!!

Okay, thanks for the suggestions and that website.:)

That's exactly what I would do (Barrachina). Old San Juan is a beautiful city to walk around and explore. Check out El Morro Fort too, and have lunch in the city. You could also contact Victor Balbin (San Juan Happy Tours, I mentioned him earlier in my review). He may be able to pick you up from the pier and take you around for a tour as well. Happy sailing! :)

That's exactly what I would do (Barrachina). Old San Juan is a beautiful city to walk around and explore. Check out El Morro Fort too, and have lunch in the city. You could also contact Victor Balbin (San Juan Happy Tours, I mentioned him earlier in my review). He may be able to pick you up from the pier and take you around for a tour as well. Happy sailing! :)

So this Barrachina is near El Morro Fort? Also, does Barrachina charge a fee to hold our luggages?

My fiancé and I just booked our honeymoon on the Serenade. We will be leaving out of San Juan on the July 24th sailing. I really enjoyed this review! Lots of great information for us.

Having never sailed myself on RC I'm concerned and interested in the dress code for the main dinning room. I just want to make sure we pack appropriately. How should we expect others to be dresses?

I echo the sentiments of the other posters- Thanks for this incredible review of the Serenade! DH and I will be sailing her for the first time in April, and we are getting VERY excited, especially after seeing your pictures. We will have a slightly different itinerary, as we will be doing the one that includes Grenada (and no St. Maarten :(). I am thankful to get the information about the tour in St. Johns, we were wondering what to do!

What a great review! We're booked for the same trip next August. After reading your review, I've decided to add LA to our plans.

Thank you so much! I'm glad it was helpful. You'll have a great time at Lobster Alive. I think that's one of my fave beaches so far.

Great review, very informative, great pictures, thanks for taking the time to put that up.

My pleasure!

My fiancé and I just booked our honeymoon on the Serenade. We will be leaving out of San Juan on the July 24th sailing. I really enjoyed this review! Lots of great information for us.

Having never sailed myself on RC I'm concerned and interested in the dress code for the main dinning room. I just want to make sure we pack appropriately. How should we expect others to be dresses?

Congratulations! The Serenade is perfect for honeymooning :).

For most nights, a nice casual dress, or black pants with a cute top is appropriate. Think of going to a nice dinner in the city for a date night as the best way to dress. My husband brings 2-3 pairs of slacks and a couple polo and long-sleeved shirts, and he's fine for the week. I normally bring black pants and a bunch of really cute tops, as well as 2 casual dresses (one short, one maxi dress). I also pack a black pashmina or sweater since it can get cool. For formal night, DH brings one black suit and switches the shirts and ties. I didn't see many tuxes on our sailing, but feel free to bring it if you already have one. I bring two cocktail dresses.

Enjoy your honeymoon!! All God's best for your marriage :)

Hey faith413:

I really enjoyed your review of the Serenade! I stumbled upon it because I will be on a land tour during the holidays in Antigua & was looking for info.

Your pictures & description of Creole Cruises has cemented my decision, and I think we'll be booking with them while I'm there. Can you remember the price per person for the cruise?

I've checked out the cruise port schedule & have a pretty good idea when or when not to book (lol).

I've often read that the Serenade is a really nice ship, & I think we might try that instead of the Allure (but stick with the route that includes Aruba, as I've never been there before).

Again, thanks for such a passionate & informative review!

Go Jets! Hey I love my gang green :D!

Hey faith413:

I really enjoyed your review of the Serenade! I stumbled upon it because I will be on a land tour during the holidays in Antigua & was looking for info.

Your pictures & description of Creole Cruises has cemented my decision, and I think we'll be booking with them while I'm there. Can you remember the price per person for the cruise?

I've checked out the cruise port schedule & have a pretty good idea when or when not to book (lol).

I've often read that the Serenade is a really nice ship, & I think we might try that instead of the Allure (but stick with the route that includes Aruba, as I've never been there before).

Again, thanks for such a passionate & informative review!

Go Jets! Hey I love my gang green :D!

Hi Nigelsmom! Vacationing in Antigua is such a great idea. My husband and I hope to do that someday and spend more time with Creole. Please tell Glenn that I said hello!

I think the Serenade is a beautiful ship. We want to do the Aruba route in the future. I look forward to seeing Aruba and Curacao.

The pricing for Creole is here: http://www.creolecruisesantigua.com/booking.php. They give discounts if you book online. The trip is worth every penny in our eyes. We've gone with them twice and had a great experience both times. Enjoy your vacation! :)

I echo the sentiments of the other posters- Thanks for this incredible review of the Serenade! DH and I will be sailing her for the first time in April, and we are getting VERY excited, especially after seeing your pictures. We will have a slightly different itinerary, as we will be doing the one that includes Grenada (and no St. Maarten :(). I am thankful to get the information about the tour in St. Johns, we were wondering what to do!

Hi Blondie307! Thank you for the compliments! I wish we could cruise even more so I could share more reviews :D. Enjoy the Serenade. I would love to see Grenada. I love to cook so picking up the fresh spices there is of great interest to me. Enjoy your cruise!

Hi Faith413,

Thank you for the wonderful review!

We sailed on the Serenade of the Seas during Thanksgiving week. Based on your recommendation, we attended the Pasta Making Demonstration in Portofino's. We thoroughly enjoyed it...very informative and of course the food is delicious!

Thanks for the recommendation....by the way, the Serenade is now my new favorite ship! We loved it!

@faith413 - Thanks so much for the advice. Brad and I are really excited! We just confirmed today that our cabin will be 8592. Any thoughts about this cabin? From the desk plans it seems to be in a really nice location.

I'm excited for you!

My Mom was in cabin 8596. GREAT location. She was able to walk to most places in the rare event (mostly at night) that the elevators were too busy for her liking. You will have some great views forward and aft. What a romantic honeymoon. Be sure to turn out all the lights in your stateroom and on the balcony at night, and sit out an watch the stars. It's the most incredible view!! Try it at least once during your cruise. Congrats again and happy sailing!

I'm excited for you!

My Mom was in cabin 8596. GREAT location. She was able to walk to most places in the rare event (mostly at night) that the elevators were too busy for her liking. You will have some great views forward and aft. What a romantic honeymoon. Be sure to turn out all the lights in your stateroom and on the balcony at night, and sit out an watch the stars. It's the most incredible view!! Try it at least once during your cruise. Congrats again and happy sailing!

Great idea! I've only been on a cruise once and we only had a small window at that time.

I was telling Brad it might be nice to order room service one morning and have breakfest in our room or on the balcony. Do you know . . can we order a breakfest into our room? Is there a charge? How long would it take to arrive? I assume 30 minutes or more at least.

Great idea! I've only been on a cruise once and we only had a small window at that time.

I was telling Brad it might be nice to order room service one morning and have breakfest in our room or on the balcony. Do you know . . can we order a breakfest into our room? Is there a charge? How long would it take to arrive? I assume 30 minutes or more at least.

Yes, we ordered room service every morning as we're pretty lazy in the mornings, lol. There will be cards on the back of your door that you can fill out and hang on your (outer) door knob the night before. There are things like eggs, bacon, sausage, pastries, fruit platters, juice, tea, and coffee. The room service is included, unless you're ordering between 12 AM-6 AM (I think those are the hours). We normally had $2 or so to tip the delivery person. If you would rather call in your order in the morning, you can. That usually took about 30 mins. Either way, they call you when they are on their way to your room, which I thought was a nice touch.