Just back cayo laventado

Travel Lover

This was one of our favorite places. It is amazingly beautiful. The beach is so nice. Very calm water and nice sand. It was not that crowded at all when we were there. I was expecting it to be packed after reading most of the reviews on CC but we had a whole area practically to ourselves. Some people would come and go. We stayed over to the end near the Sea Lion b/c it seemed to be the prettiest area. We went with our two daughters 10 and 6 and we ALL had a blast. It was nice and relaxing.

• 3 weeks later...

When you do the ship excursion to this beach do they use the same tenders that take you to the tender pier to take you to the beach? We want to do this excursion but need to know about the boat that takes you from the ship to the beach. My older sister (80's) will be with us and it will need to be something she can get on and off easily.

Thanks.

The ship anchors in the bay a mile or so from Cayo. You have to be tendered from the ship to anywhere. When I was there on MSC the ship used its lifeboats as tenders.

The island itself is divided between a resort, which is off limits, and the part leased by the cruiselines. There is food on the island but you have to pay. There is probably no way except through the cruiseline.

When we were there on the Norwegian Pearl last month they used the ship's lifeboats as tenders into Samana town but people going to Cayo Leventado were collected by boats from the island. They looked a bit bigger than the lifeboats and were open sided but had a sunshade. Sorry, I did not really notice how accessible they were as we did not go, but they moored at the ship's tender platform so I would think it would be similar to getting on a tender.

We were there on the Enchantment last month. One of our group has a problems with his legs and is very unsteady on his feet. He had no trouble getting in and out of the tenders or on to the dock at Cayo Leventado.

We love going there.

Can you get to Cayo Levantado without going through the cruise line's tours? If you go into the main dock (?) can you get a boat to the island from there?

And what price did you pay, please?

We are going on NCL & will be there on Sunday the 19th

Thanks for any help!

We just returned from our cruise Friday. This excursion was ok and the beach was beautiful but nothing special. We tendered using local boats. Cost of the cruise excursion was $44 per person through the cruise line but there is so little to do at this made up stop I suppose the only option was staying on the ship.

We just returned from our cruise Friday. This excursion was ok and the beach was beautiful but nothing special. We tendered using local boats. Cost of the cruise excursion was $44 per person through the cruise line but there is so little to do at this made up stop I suppose the only option was staying on the ship.

Did you notice any shopping areas close?

• 2 weeks later...

There was quite a large market along the malecon in Samana when we were there, all local people selling handicrafts, handmade (cheap) jewellery,sarongs, carpets, pictures, they had really tried very hard. Beyond the market is a small 'shopping centre' called something like Peublo Principe (owned by the hotel on Cayo I think) it has a dozen or so shops selling the usual tourist stuff (locally made cigars seemed quite cheap) and a cafe. We were only ashore for a couple of hours but glad we went rather than just staying on the ship.

The ship anchors in the bay a mile or so from Cayo. You have to be tendered from the ship to anywhere. When I was there on MSC the ship used its lifeboats as tenders.

The island itself is divided between a resort, which is off limits, and the part leased by the cruiselines. There is food on the island but you have to pay. There is probably no way except through the cruiseline.

Can you help me make sure I understand correctly...can the tenders from the ship also bring you to the Cayo beach? Or can you only get there through the excursions? and What about Playa Rincon? Can you only get there through the excursions?

tx

We are going to be there early Feb. on the Jan. 29th sailing of Carnival Miracle and it seems to me this may be the only thing to do. From what I'm reading it is exclusively a cruise line excursion, however, it is local boats that moore at the ship tender station to take you there. So instead of tendering to shore, you tender to your destination and directly back.:)

A bar-b-q area set up behind the beach. Hamburgers, chicken sandwiches, chicken kabobs, fries, salads, corn on the cob, condiments, chips and other snacks. I think it cost us around $8 pp for a meal and we had plenty. Its an a la carte thing so it depends on what you get that determines the price. Plenty of shaded picnic tables to eat at. There is a bar almost beside the bar-b-q area for drinks. Also another area back a little path was selling lobster, crabs and some other things. Didn't check out their prices.

Drinks in a pineapple or coconut are $7 each.

Just returned from the Mercury and were in Samana on 12/24/10. Cayo L is private and the only way to get there is through your cruse ship. You will be taken on a tender or on a local water taxi arranged by the cruise ship to Cayo L. It's a nice beach for tourists that could be anywhere. Samana is a fishing village. There is a straw market at the dock, but it's not a walk around and shop port. If you want to see more of the area I recommend that you contact Terry -- he took us to the waterfall El Limon on 12/24 and it was the highlight of our trip.

This was one of our favorite places. It is amazingly beautiful. The beach is so nice. Very calm water and nice sand. It was not that crowded at all when we were there. I was expecting it to be packed after reading most of the reviews on CC but we had a whole area practically to ourselves. Some people would come and go. We stayed over to the end near the Sea Lion b/c it seemed to be the prettiest area. We went with our two daughters 10 and 6 and we ALL had a blast. It was nice and relaxing.

Hi Travel Lover - Sounds interesting. How did you get to the beach? Did you book an excursion or did you go by water taxi?

tx

Just returned from the Mercury and were in Samana on 12/24/10. Cayo L is private and the only way to get there is through your cruse ship. You will be taken on a tender or on a local water taxi arranged by the cruise ship to Cayo L. It's a nice beach for tourists that could be anywhere. Samana is a fishing village. There is a straw market at the dock, but it's not a walk around and shop port. If you want to see more of the area I recommend that you contact Terry -- he took us to the waterfall El Limon on 12/24 and it was the highlight of our trip.

MMsteffey - You mention that you can be taken on a tender, is this because you've booked an excursion or does the tender just bring you to Cayo L without an excursion?

tx

Archived