Fantasy cruise review

amillard222

I am getting better at ordering room service...yay. The coffee has got better over the last 3 days and now it is almost as strong as the coffee that I make at home. We got up early this morning so that we could get an early start on the day. We went to sleep every night with the tv turned to the web cam that was outside, so this morning we actually got to watch the ship pull into port. We ate really quick, threw on some clothes and hurried up on deck to take pics of us docking. It was really beautiful with the sunrise. Another Carnival ship was already docked when we got off the ship and 2 more ships (disney, and another carnival ship) were also supposed to dock with us in Nassua so I was thinking that it would be super busy.

DSC03551.jpg

DSC01185.jpg

It took no time at all to get off the ship, I guess people were still sleeping. They start taking pictures of you before you even get off the ship, these were the only times that the photographers really got on my nerves but what ever it was only 5 minutes of my life. This is definently the port to wear comfy shoes. After getting off the boat you walk down this long walkway and thru this building called festival palace

DSC03573.jpg

to get to the other side where the taxis and the entrance to the city are. We caught a taxi to the Sheraton Hotel for a day pass. I have to take a moment to tell you that this is the first time in my life that I was scared of someone elses driving. I guess in nassua, the stop signs are not a law.....they are not even a suggestion, the only time that the driver got below 60 mph was when he slamed on the breaks infront of the hotel. Ok I maybe exagerating a little but really it was a scary ride and I was scared for alot of the people that he almost hit who were just trying to cross the road. That was one ride I will never forget. Phillip and I loved going to the Sheraton and would do it agian. The beach was so nice and quiet and the employees were very nice and helpful. The man made snorkel area was really cool. Keep in mind we have never done anything like that before, so for a beginer getting to see those exotic fish(there were alot of fish) it was exciting. Of course we forgot the water proof camera that we bought. If you go to the Sheraton I would highly recommend you bring a waterproof camera and some fish food. We would lay out for a couple of hours and then snorkel, lay out some more and snorkel some more. All of chairs, the snorkel equipment and floaty mats, life vest, Kayaks and the big tricycle water things are free with the purchase of the $25 day pass. We left the Sheraton at about 2pm ish and left to go back to the boat to change and have lunch. We caught the local bus called the jitney, back to the boat. The jitney cost $1.25 per person and I was very suprised it was pretty nice. From now on if we go back to Nassau we will take the jitney instead of a taxi. Ok anyway we got back to the boat changed into walking clothes and sneakers, had lunch and then we were off again. The straw market was definently an experiance to remember.

DSC03568.jpg

The men and women were actually really good about leaving you alone if you tell them you dont want anything. We bought a couple of nick nacks to send to the family and that was pretty much it. We walked around found a little store that sold cigars and beer so we got hubby a couple of cubans and 2 of the local beers. We walked by Senor Frogs took a picture out side

DSC03570.jpg

We also went inside but was totally not impressed. Maybe we went on a bad day or something but there was more people who were just taking pics of the out side and with the frog than there were people who were going inside to eat or drink. We walked around for another hour or so and then it was time to head back to the boat. A quick note for those of you who have not been to the Bahamas. If you go to the straw market and find something you like, make a deal with the people. They will start out saying something like, "this ___ is usually 15 dollars but today it is 12 dollars, but you tell me what you want to pay." Dont be afraid to haggle. I found a cute jewlery box for my MIL and the lady wanted $15, I got her down to $5 which I thought was a good deal. Little did I know that I would find the exact same thing the next day in freeport and it was priced at $3. They get that stuff cheap and mark it up. On the other hand we passed by a lady who had lots of people following her and she was telling one of the men in the straw market that she had just bought over 200 of the purses they sell....holly molly.:eek:

Wow, what a wonderful day. We really enjoyed Nassau and would go there agian. We were tired after such an exciting day and we both have blisters on our feet from walking so much. Well its time for dinner, the waiters danced to the song Apple bottom jeans. I thought it was very funny. I know some people dont like the waiters dancing but I looked forward to it. Bed time came early tonight, we were so tired. A quick walk around the top deck to enjoy the moonlight and stars and now its sleepy time. Excited about Freeport in the morning. Ocean depth was deep this morning at 7900 ft but now the ocean is 10,900 ft deep. All I could think was wow, I wonder what kinda fish are down there? To bad we cant see down there. Another note, we were going thru a small storm tonight and the boat was really rocking. This was the worst so far, tonight with the boat rocking it felt like being a kid and laying on one of those merry-go-rounds with my eyes closed and someone gently spinning it. Really weird, still no motion sickness but I have been taking the medicine at night when I go to bed to that it does not make me tired during the day.

DSC03573.jpg

Did you guys attempt to go inside Kafe Kalik? We could never figure out how to get inside. (We were a bit inebriated though.) I am just curious to know if it is open or if it has been shut down.

Now that I see your picture I notice that there are some stairs on the opposite side. If the brain had been working at the time we would have realized that we needed to walk through the building to the other side and then up the stairs. Ah well, maybe in February.

Archived