Guarantee Stateroom on Travel Docs?

Sailorboy30

I filled out the online check in 1 month prior to cruise. Printed travel docs 3 days before leaving. Most assignments are given between 3 and 10 days before departure. I had a guarantee VF cabin and was happy to receive an upgrade to a VA on the Rotterdam deck.

Assignments start about 3 weeks out, and the curve seems to peak around 10 or 11 days out. We've done 8 guarantees, and assignments have ranged from 18 days out to 3 days out, with most being 10 or 11 days out.

On our last cruise we got an assignment (which was an upgrade) 11 days out, and then a re-assignment with another upgrade 2 days out.

If you do get reassigned at the last minute from the stateroom you placed on your luggage tags, be sure to let the front desk know as your luggage will most likely be in the old stateroom. This happened to us and it was after 7PM before we finally got it even though we told the front desk where it was located (we had PG reservations and I'd have had to go in jeans!). We had met James Deering at our sailaway party and he told us to call him if we didn't get our luggage so I did. It came shortly thereafter! It's good to have friends in high places.

If you do get reassigned at the last minute from the stateroom you placed on your luggage tags, be sure to let the front desk know as your luggage will most likely be in the old stateroom.
Also go see the steward at "old" cabin after a day or two. Our first-assignment steward was holding a stack of various "invite" cards because he didn't know (and hadn't bothered to find out) where we had gone.

We just booked the Oosterdam today, a H cabin that was cheaper than an inside with the exception of the MM category. We did choose a cabin but we are wondering about the upgrades if you have a guarantee. I know about Princess and how they do it but I feel like like I'm starting all over again since this is our first cruise with HAL. Would you stay with an obstructed view or gamble and make it a guarantee? This is to Alaska.

We just booked the Oosterdam today, a H cabin that was cheaper than an inside with the exception of the MM category. We did choose a cabin but we are wondering about the upgrades if you have a guarantee. I know about Princess and how they do it but I feel like like I'm starting all over again since this is our first cruise with HAL. Would you stay with an obstructed view or gamble and make it a guarantee? This is to Alaska.
We've been lucky on our 8 guarantees, getting upgrades on all of them ... so we'll continue to do guarantees for a while! On our last cruise we booked an H gty, were first given a C, and then re-assigned to a V!!

When we went to Alaska the best viewing was out side.

Cabins even ours with a veranda was limited to just one side, Alaska is a 360 view.

Archived