Anyone just off Horizon?

Helen

If you've recently sailed on the Horizon, can you tell me the name of the band on board? We really enjoyed Phaze V last year and we're hoping they'll still be there when we sail in June. Thanks for the help :)

We got off the Horizon yesterday 2/21 and the band was Illusion. I don't know how long they'll be on the ship. Rich Cleson was the cruise director and he was fantastic -- one of the best I've seen. We loved our cruise! The itinerary -- 10 day Western Caribbean was perfect with sea days place between 1-2 port days. The weather was sunny and warm. It was cold leaving Tampa so it felt increasingly wonderful each day as the air warmed. The food and service were terrific.

I thought the buffet was fine. The ship was packed so it got crowded at times. The space in the buffet area is not well laid out, but eating on the fantail was divine. I eat healthfully and was able to put together a healthy breakfast and lunch from the selections offered. There was always plenty of fruit. I love the muesli and hot cereal. There was breakfast fish each morning alternating between salmon and pickled herring. I had omelettes with veggies -- could have had an egg white omelette but I'm not that much of a health nut :) For lunch, there was always fish, plenty of different, interesting kinds of salads, and fruit.

The hamburgers, hotdogs, fries, and pizza were incredibly popular. I never tried them -- I'm a more eclectic eater and enjoy trying new things so the buffet suited me more.

Dinner in the Starlight dining room was delicious every evening -- loved the rack of lamb and we had it twice. We had well-matched tablemates and dinner time was always fun. Our waiter Pedro and asst. waiter Julio were entertaining as well. We had the opportunity to dine at the Captain's Table with the Safety Officer on one of the formal nights and enjoyed that experience tremendously. He was charming and informative.

The entertainment suited me perfectly from revue shows by the Celebrity singers and dancers, an excellent juggler, an entertaining magician, a superb vocalist who did great Neil Diamond, a xlophonist (I thought that would be boring but he was phenomenal), and a comedian. It was, in my opinion, the best lineup of entertainment we've had on Celebrity --this was our 4th cruise.

Getting two side by side deck chairs was a problem, if you wanted to sit by the pool. I usually managed it since I was only looking for one chair (my husband likes to sit on the back of the ship). They need to think about implementing a system similar to that used for parking in 2 hour zones in our local area -- the parking monitor chalks the tires and keeps track of time -- in that way the deck chair police would know who hasn't sat in his/her chair for more than a 1/2 hour. As long as a system like that was consistently applied, it would make it better for everyone.

Every night we had cocktails in the America's Cup lounge facing forward on Deck 11 -- to watch the sun go down. I enjoyed lots of different cocktails that I never go to the trouble to make at home -- Mai Tai, Caiparinha, mango daiquiri, long island ice tea, Bacardi cocktail and the list goes on. I thought the drinks were all good and they didn't seem particularly expensive but then I live right outside Washington, DC.

Across the board, the crew was friendly, polite, and helpful. I met some very interesting people. We enjoyed our Cruise Critic party and the folks we met up with to share tours with in Puerto Limon (Oscar Brown) and in Roatan (Victor Boddent). We did the ferry trip thru the canal and thought that was fascinating, worth it in that it was a unique experience in a smaller boat.

There was something for everyone onboard from exercise classes, to trivia contests, to ping pong championships, to lectures on investing and digital cameras.

I love cruising -- plenty to do if you want something to do, easy to relax if you want to do nothing, delicious food and drink, interesting ports, and once you unpack you don't repack until it's time to go home.

If you've recently sailed on the Horizon, can you tell me the name of the band on board? We really enjoyed Phaze V last year and we're hoping they'll still be there when we sail in June. Thanks for the help :)

Off the Horizon on Jan 31. Best band of the many cruises we've taken. Illusion. They can play anything. Cruise was the best. Service examplary, food very good. Weather perfect everyday. This ship will be missed but if the intangibles remain in other ships it's spirit will never fade. Go "X".

Btoohill, we are scheduled for the Horizon Western 3/4-14. We have only been on the Century (Oct.) and enjoyed it very much.

Could you tell me the schedule of formal, informal and casual days (ex. 1st Friday is casual...)? I'm a terrible list maker and just want to be able to plan.

Just curious...did the ship dock on time at most ports? When you returned to Tampa, did you dock around 7 AM? Thanks.

btoohill, one other question--were you in Cayman on a Sunday? If so, were many places open? We would like to buy a Blackbeard Rum Cake and maybe a few souviner trinkets. Is Hard Rock open--our son wants a T-Shirt from there if possible. Thanks again.

Many stores in Georgetown are closed on Sunday. All of the Kirks stores did not open and about 50 percent of the others remained closed.

Senor Frogs will be opening in Georgetown, if not open already. Another opportunity for your son's t-shirt collection.

I'm just off Horizon on Monday. I would like to say that the ship has lost absolutely nothing. Just as great as ever. Food, service and a marvelous staff just can't be beat. There are massive carpet stains in the lobby on deck 5 from continueing high waves breaching the loading hatches. Fifty-five foot waves 4 wks ago and with the Bermuda runs coming up it would be foolish to replace the otherwise fine carpet on deck five. Go and enjoy this fine, fine ship.

Archived