Bank of America

Klapka

I have just finished a very enjoyable week on the Paul Gauguin.

I settled the onboard account (charged in US$) with my Bank of America credit card (also in US$) and have just found that the bank has treated the transaction as "foreign" and charged me a fee.

This came as a big surprise to me, but the bank is saying it is perfectly normal.

Any comments, folks?

I settled the onboard account (charged in US$) with my Bank of America credit card (also in US$) and have just found that the bank has treated the transaction as "foreign" and charged me a fee.

This came as a big surprise to me, but the bank is saying it is perfectly normal.

Any comments, folks?

This has been discussed thoroughly on this site. It seems that Regent (and now PG) use an Irish bank to process their accounts. SOME banks count that as foreign and others (Amex for one) don't.

Any comments, folks?

Unfortunately so!PG uses bank in IRELAND so transactions are foreign...3% fee.You certainly have the option to contact PG directly and request a reimbursement for these fees.However,if your onboard account balance was only $500 for example,your fees are only $15,hardly worth complaining about!!:rolleyes:

Contact the PG office in Bellevue, Wash. They will need a copy of your statement and then will refund the fee to you. I just noticed a foreign transaction fee when I got my Visa statement after making the final payment. Contacted PG and faxed them the statement. In hindsight, I should have used my Capital One Visa (no foreign fees). I think the same fee pops up with Regent and Oceania as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We charged our entire cruise on our credit card and were surprised to find a hefty International transaction fee. When I mentioned it to my TA he told me that if you fax your cC statements to PG they would refund in OBC. That won't help you in settlilng your account post cruise but if you plan to travel with them again they might give you the credit on a future cruise. Additionally, I understand Capital One has a card with no international transaction fees...What's in your wallet"...Not much after this cruise! HA!

Archived