From Onboard Statendam

garydm

Two days out of Kona enroute San Diego. The weather is sunny and nice but quite windy. Food and service continue to be exceptional. A few engineering issues on the ship lead one to think there might be a bit of duct tape and baling wire behind the scenes, but this is not a new ship by any means.

Gary

AS long as they haven't asked for volunteers to get out and push, you should be OK :)

I can feel your cruise winding down right along with you.

For me, those last few days heading back were always the best ones of that cruise. I was relaxed and at peace with the world.

Enjoy your time. :)

Corrected information: Frits Gehner has not retired as one of the crew told me. I spoke to Hans Dernison last night and he said Frits was coming back, just on vacation.

Mostly uncorroborated stuff: Apparently one death between San Diego and Honolulu-surprised not more with our demographics. A bunch of folks went to a hospital in Honolulu we are told for assorted maladies. Rumor is a group on board from Florida has had some kind of illness. Salt and pepper shakers missing from tables today. We did have to return after departing Kona to put a sick or injured person ashore.

I can't imagine the crew doing anything more to avoid contagious stuff. They are constantly wiping everything down with disinfectant. We wash our hands every chance we get and use the convenient disinfectant devices when we pass one.

Weather is nice again today and looks pretty calm out there. Off to the Lido.

Gary

Thank you Gary for taking the time to write such an informative review. My husband and I were on the Statendam prior to your cruise, returning on February 19. We had a wonderful time, and though there was plenty of motion on the ocean, we were able to make all of our scheduled stops. We did, however, both leave the ship with a terrible cold/flu type of virus. I'll bet I heard half of the other passengers coughing, sneezing etc. Is this the type of illness you're seeing on the ship now? I wondered if they could possibly clean well enough to get all of the germs that were floating around there. It was really a miserable, kick-butt kind of a thing that hangs on for a long time.

Deb A.

Adding to the excitement of the cruise, the fire alarm went off at 8:15 last evening and the first officer came on and said there was in fact a fire but no need to do anything at this time. About 15 minutes later the captain came on and said there was a fire in the port boiler room and they expected to have in under control soon. About 15 minutes after that they said the fire was out.

Re the URI, I have not seen much other than a woman hacking around the pool. My wife has been a bit ill but I attribute that to chocolate overdose.

Gary

Ruth-My wife ate too much chocolate I fear at the chocolate dessert extravaganza on Thursday night.

We are back home-made the 10:15 am flight out of San Diego with an hour to spare. Will report more later.

Gary

Archived