What should I expect on a claim?

Salt air hair

I purchased insurance for a recent cruise to Bermuda. Due to the hurricane that took a direct hit to Bermuda, the cruiseline made the necessary decision to reroute us, and the information came after we had well set sail. Now for the question....if I purhased insurance for a trip to

Bermuda and the Bermuda authorities would not allow the ship to dock there because the channels may not be clear, and our policy reads that our costs are 100 % refundable if our destination is inhabitable or the government denies us entry, shouldn't be entitled to a full refund of our purchase price from the insurance company? The only amount they have refunded is the port charges. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Don't know who your coverage is with but we always get the insurance and have been rerouted at least 4-5 times due to hurricanes and it's part of the clause in your cruise contract that they can reroute due to safety etc. I've never heard of anyone getting a full refund from an insurance for a cruise that was rerouted, denied docking due to a hurricane or weather. Not saying it's never happened but...

Your claim will be denied. For the purposes of the trip insurance, your "destination" is the departure port for the cruise. So, if Miami/Tampa/Canaveral/wherever had been evacuated because of a hurricane you'd be covered. But one of the stops being closed is not.

If you had a 3rd-party pre-paid shore excursion in Bermuda that you could not get refunded, I suppose that might be covered, but that would be about it.

Now for the question....if I purhased insurance for a trip to

Bermuda and the Bermuda authorities would not allow the ship to dock there because the channels may not be clear, and our policy reads that our costs are 100 % refundable if our destination is inhabitable or the government denies us entry, shouldn't be entitled to a full refund of our purchase price from the insurance company? QUOTE]

As stated earlier, the cruise ship and departure city was your destination. Bermuda just happened to be a port stop.

Also, your cruise contract states that the cruise line can change the itinerary. By signing it, you affirm that you are perfectly OK with this. You can't subsequently expect the insurer tp pay you because the cruise line did something you stated you were just fine with.

maybe I'm thinking along the wrong line, but if the insurance does not cover the cost of the cruise when the a hurricane prevents your travel to the plan itinerary completely, why do people also come back with the "why didn't you buy insurance especially duing hurrican season" when it doesn't seem to cover you? Even on this cruise, during the Q & A to the crew, one person was complaining about not getting to Bermuda and yah yah yah...and the captain responded, "did you get insurance to cover you" from my stand point, it doesn't cover you

Even on this cruise, during the Q & A to the crew, one person was complaining about not getting to Bermuda and yah yah yah...and the captain responded, "did you get insurance to cover you" from my stand point, it doesn't cover you

Even a Captain will occasionally give opinions on a subject in which he/she has absolutely no expertise. While totally incorrect, I'm sure it quieted the crowd some which I'm also sure was his/her objective.

maybe I'm thinking along the wrong line, but if the insurance does not cover the cost of the cruise when the a hurricane prevents your travel to the plan itinerary completely, why do people also come back with the "why didn't you buy insurance especially duing hurrican season" when it doesn't seem to cover you? Even on this cruise, during the Q & A to the crew, one person was complaining about not getting to Bermuda and yah yah yah...and the captain responded, "did you get insurance to cover you" from my stand point, it doesn't cover you

A reason it is a good idea to buy insurance during hurricane season is because you will need insurance to cover you if your departure or arrival ports cannot be accessed because of the hurricane, or if your flight to your departure port is canceled or delayed because of the weather.

Archived