Scooter rental

farmgirl65

Is Tortola a good place to rent a scooter? I have heard some islands have crazy drivers and its not safe...but what about Tortola? Is it a small enough island that you could go places ie. beaches and see the sights along the way?

I personally would not rent a scooter. The rodes are very steep and if the scooter doesn't have A one brakes, well... They also drive on the left, so if you're not used to that it becomes one more thing to have to think about.

We've rented cars right outside the gate twice with no reservations, it was like $80 for the day for insurance/gas everything. First time we were with my mother and had a small SUV with air. The second time a Jeep with the top down. Both were manual trans. which you really need because of the hills.

The map they give you is good but not perfect. Got lost a couple of times for about 5 minutes, no big deal. Get off the ship early to make sure you get the vehicle you want and not left overs.

We like to explore this way and I think Tortola is the most beautiful drive in the Islands.

Is Tortola a good place to rent a scooter? I have heard some islands have crazy drivers and its not safe...but what about Tortola? Is it a small enough island that you could go places ie. beaches and see the sights along the way?

I've been to Tortola 3 times now (and one more next week) and have rented a scooter every time. It is the BEST way to see the island. The roads (especially over the mountain) can be steep, but I didn't find it dangerous. I've had my daughter on the back of the scooter the last 2 years and she loved it! You can take a circle route around the island and see the whole island in about 4 hours. The first year I was a little hesitant, what with them driving on the left side of the road (I have never done that before), but after leaving Road Town, the traffic is practically nil. Great views are to be had by taking Ridge Rd. across the top of the mountain. There is a very secluded beach on Beef Island (only one couple there when we visited last year) and Cane Garden Bay beach is beautiful.

Archived