Cartagena - Using American Dollars for taxi?

gypsy mom

We are planning to get a cab to the Old City and walk around by ourselves since we have such a short time in port. Can I use American dollars to pay for the cab, or do I need to get local currency from an ATM, and if so, is there one handy at the port. I am nervous about using the foreign ATM, and would prefer just to bring my own cash.

Also, does anyone have a suggestion on where to have the cab drop us off, and a good place to find a cab upon our return.

Cabs are everywhere on the major streets that border the old city... assuming you can find your way out. La Ciudad Amurallada is a bit of a maze!

I have just been paying in local currency... and am not sure what ATMs may be near the cruise port. Taxi fares are generally cheap, but you do end up paying more if your Spanish is poor and I would expect the same if you pay in US$. The only taxisita who asked me if I wanted to pay in US$ was at the airport... I looked at him as if I did not understand his question in English.

We are planning to get a cab to the Old City and walk around by ourselves since we have such a short time in port. Can I use American dollars to pay for the cab, or do I need to get local currency from an ATM, and if so, is there one handy at the port. I am nervous about using the foreign ATM, and would prefer just to bring my own cash.

Also, does anyone have a suggestion on where to have the cab drop us off, and a good place to find a cab upon our return.

I just got back from there. They all took usd. The price I was quoted(outside the port) towards San Filipe castillo was 10.00 usd. I knew that was a bit high but decided not to try for 6 to 8 because the guy seemed nice. Inside the port they will quote you 20 to 25 usd. Dont get fooled. From San Filipe castille to the old city, you shouldnt have to pay more than 3 to 5 dollars usd. (dont be fooled with the taxis waiting just outside the fort) From the old walled city back to the cruise port, a driver quoted me $6.000 which is 6 thousand pesos..which is like 4 dollars usd...I gave him 5 dollars usd.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived