availability of cabs in Miami/getting to the port in the morning

pilarkitty

We are coming into Miami a day early for our cruise. We're using points to stay at the Marriott Biscayne Bay, but we'd like to visit South Beach. I'm assuming that the easiest/safest way to get around is by cab.

Can you easily hail a cab in Miami or do you have to call and order a cab by phone? We live in Pittsburgh and you don't see cabs around the city like you do in New York. I have no idea what it's like in Miami.

What should we do the morning before our cruise? Is it worth going to the Bayside Marketplace for breakfast? Can you just hail a cab from there to get to the port?

Thanks so much,

Monica

We are coming into Miami a day early for our cruise. We're using points to stay at the Marriott Biscayne Bay, but we'd like to visit South Beach. I'm assuming that the easiest/safest way to get around is by cab.

If you are near a metro rail or metro mover stop then it is easy and safe. However, it does not cover the whole city and does not go to South Beach.

Can you easily hail a cab in Miami or do you have to call and order a cab by phone? We live in Pittsburgh and you don't see cabs around the city like you do in New York. I have no idea what it's like in Miami.

In my experience you need to call the cab, but from the hotel they will likely have them, or can get them easily. Sometimes in down town you can hail one, and at major hotels and transportation hubs (port, airport, etc.) they will be waiting.

Steve

In my experience you need to call the cab, but from the hotel they will likely have them, or can get them easily. Sometimes in down town you can hail one, and at major hotels and transportation hubs (port, airport, etc.) they will be waiting.

Steve

Thanks. I guess I can just walk up to any of the major hotels on South Beach to catch a cab back to the Marriott. I didn't even think of that!

Monica

We are coming into Miami a day early for our cruise. We're using points to stay at the Marriott Biscayne Bay, but we'd like to visit South Beach. I'm assuming that the easiest/safest way to get around is by cab. You are correct.

Can you easily hail a cab in Miami or do you have to call and order a cab by phone? We live in Pittsburgh and you don't see cabs around the city like you do in New York. I have no idea what it's like in Miami. There are usually a couple of cabs waiting outside of your hotel or the Doubletree next door. If not the valet parking guys/front desk can call a cab for you.

What should we do the morning before our cruise? Is it worth going to the Bayside Marketplace for breakfast? Can you just hail a cab from there to get to the port? A cab to Bayside for Breakfast will run about $10 - unless you take your luggage with you it will cost another $10 to get back to your hotel, and then another $10 to get to POM. :eek: I'd opt to relax and eat in the hotel or in one of the little shops located in the underground area connecting the Marriott with the Doulbetree and nearby condo buildings.

Thanks so much,

Monica

If you have a chance, dine at Bin 18 (Biscayne and 18th - 2 blocks from your hotel); great food and an extensive wine and imported beer list! :D The bar/dining room at the Doulbetree is also very good. Good luck!:)

If you have a chance, dine at Bin 18 (Biscayne and 18th - 2 blocks from your hotel); great food and an extensive wine and imported beer list! :D The bar/dining room at the Doulbetree is also very good. Good luck!:)

Thanks so much for the info. That's very helpful. I didn't realize there was an underground shopping area near the hotel.

Bin 18 looks great. They have a really nice beer list. (which is always my biggest complaint about the cruise ships. I heard that Royal Ale is now gone, too. I really wish they'd do beer packages like they do with wine) it looks like they have some nice vegetarian friendly options, too!

This is very helpful.

Thanks,

Monica

Archived