Dec 11-18 2010 Summit S Caribbean

taphappy

Hello,

Any beach goers that can give me some tips on beaches on St. Croix?

I'm looking for calm beaches with a bit of shade that aren't too crowded...

I haven't been in St. Croix in years ...not sure whether I want to do a Buck's Island trip.

In Dominica I'm planning to take the whale watching trip with Captain Jerry.

Hello,

Any beach goers that can give me some tips on beaches on St. Croix?

I'm looking for calm beaches with a bit of shade that aren't too crowded...

I haven't been in St. Croix in years ...not sure whether I want to do a Buck's Island trip.

In Dominica I'm planning to take the whale watching trip with Captain Jerry.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Go to the Roll Call forum for your cruise and join in. Some of the other on your cruise will probably have good ideas to share with you.

Also go to the Ports of Call forums and look for the ports you are interested in.

There is SO much great information to be found on Cruise Critic.

Enjoy!

Sara

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

What a terrific week for cruising!! :p

Here's what I did in each port - my preferences are to enjoy nearby beaches and to travel independantly.

St Croix

• Shared van ride to Christenstedt and took the ferry to Hotel on the Cay. Beach had a harbor view of Christianstedt, my chair was in the shade under a hut (shared ride $16 pp round trip, ferry $4 round trip, $5 chair rental)
  • Many stores closed on Sundays in St Croix (so plan accordingly)
  • Free rum tasting at the drop off point

St Kitts

• Shared ride to Cockleshell beach (there are two drop offs, I went to the one sans Jamaican bar;RT shared ride about $13 pp)
  • Some persons snorkeled to the R of the beach
  • Massage on beach by Leslie ($1 per minute)
  • Beach is very picturesque! People were snorkeling on the right hand side

Dominica

• Whale watched with 8 fellow cruisers, Captain Jerry and his ship mate on the Proud Mary fishing boat ($50pp)
  • Bought a taxodermy bull fish and a intricately made doll from vendor stalls in port
  • Bought inexpensive hot sauce from the supermarket. They accept dollars, but change is in Carib $s. 3 oz size can be put in carry on luggage.
  • Tasted the locally brewed lager beer

Grenada

• Water taxi $8pp RT to Grand Anse beach
  • A local artisian carved a custom coconut shell pendant for me while I went swimming
  • Spice market is located at the beach. From past trips I've negotiated prices lower here than in in town
  • Bought nutmeg, anise and some kind of bark used in a healthy beverage

Tobago

• Shared ride to Pigeon Point ($10 pp RT), picturesque, a bit crowded. Some caught the glass bottom boat with snorkeling at 11AM for $15. $3 entry feed to Pigeon Point; Beach chairs $2. The beach is very scenic & unique in that you just walk right into the water without a drop off, rocks, shells or sinking in. Use the coral derived sand for skin exfoliation while in the water.
  • Swedish massage nearby pier in the spa hut to the left was delightful ($60 for one hour massage)
  • A few interesting vendors right at the pier (leather goods, batik, tee shirts...I bought a batik); might want to consider asking the cab to stop if you see anything you want to look at right before you get to Pigeon Point

Some learnings

• Easy to find others to share cabs at 9 AM ish; in some places need to agree a return time with fellow passengers
  • In Dominica 11 AM - noon you can find reduced rates for independant tours and cab rides
  • In some places I opted to have a beverage in the shade instead of renting a beach chair
  • It was beneficial to meet folks ahead of time through this bulletin board and the cruise critic party - I travelled solo and never felt "alone"
  • A great place to share tips and information is while at wading in the water at the beach; mainy fellow cruisers have visited the ports before

A big thank you to the Kruz Guys for the energy and hospitality that they extended to fellow cruisers. Another big thank you to all the cruisers that I met on this trip.

You contributed to the great memories that I have of this cruise and made cruising as a solo traveler so easy.

All the best,

Taphappy Nina

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Sorry for such a late reply. We saw whales on the trip. Everyone who went was satisfied.

I didn't find the water rough when we went out.

Also a treat was the hospitality of Captain Jerry and the small size of the group!

All the best,

Taphappy (Nina)

Hi everyone,

What a terrific week for cruising!! :p

Here's what I did in each port - my preferences are to enjoy nearby beaches and to travel independantly.

St Croix

• Shared van ride to Christenstedt and took the ferry to Hotel on the Cay. Beach had a harbor view of Christianstedt, my chair was in the shade under a hut (shared ride $16 pp round trip, ferry $4 round trip, $5 chair rental)
  • Many stores closed on Sundays in St Croix (so plan accordingly)
  • Free rum tasting at the drop off point

St Kitts

• Shared ride to Cockleshell beach (there are two drop offs, I went to the one sans Jamaican bar;RT shared ride about $13 pp)
  • Some persons snorkeled to the R of the beach
  • Massage on beach by Leslie ($1 per minute)
  • Beach is very picturesque! People were snorkeling on the right hand side

Dominica

• Whale watched with 8 fellow cruisers, Captain Jerry and his ship mate on the Proud Mary fishing boat ($50pp)
  • Bought a taxodermy bull fish and a intricately made doll from vendor stalls in port
  • Bought inexpensive hot sauce from the supermarket. They accept dollars, but change is in Carib $s. 3 oz size can be put in carry on luggage.
  • Tasted the locally brewed lager beer

Grenada

• Water taxi $8pp RT to Grand Anse beach
  • A local artisian carved a custom coconut shell pendant for me while I went swimming
  • Spice market is located at the beach. From past trips I've negotiated prices lower here than in in town
  • Bought nutmeg, anise and some kind of bark used in a healthy beverage

Tobago

• Shared ride to Pigeon Point ($10 pp RT), picturesque, a bit crowded. Some caught the glass bottom boat with snorkeling at 11AM for $15. $3 entry feed to Pigeon Point; Beach chairs $2. The beach is very scenic & unique in that you just walk right into the water without a drop off, rocks, shells or sinking in. Use the coral derived sand for skin exfoliation while in the water.
  • Swedish massage nearby pier in the spa hut to the left was delightful ($60 for one hour massage)
  • A few interesting vendors right at the pier (leather goods, batik, tee shirts...I bought a batik); might want to consider asking the cab to stop if you see anything you want to look at right before you get to Pigeon Point

Some learnings

• Easy to find others to share cabs at 9 AM ish; in some places need to agree a return time with fellow passengers
  • In Dominica 11 AM - noon you can find reduced rates for independant tours and cab rides
  • In some places I opted to have a beverage in the shade instead of renting a beach chair
  • It was beneficial to meet folks ahead of time through this bulletin board and the cruise critic party - I travelled solo and never felt "alone"
  • A great place to share tips and information is while at wading in the water at the beach; mainy fellow cruisers have visited the ports before

A big thank you to the Kruz Guys for the energy and hospitality that they extended to fellow cruisers. Another big thank you to all the cruisers that I met on this trip.

You contributed to the great memories that I have of this cruise and made cruising as a solo traveler so easy.

All the best,

Taphappy Nina

Taphappy,

Thanks for your awesome post. :) A lot of good tidbits for my cruise in April Summit like 2 drop-offs in St. Kitt's. :cool:

I'd read some say Pigeon Forge was overcrowded. Was this the case for your visit? Also, i want to know what made you pick Cockleshell beach over the other big beach in St. Kitt's? I keep hearing different beach preferences on St. Kitt's.

Jim

Archived