suggestions for self-drive tour

Holly2

We are thinking about renting a car and touring the island. Would like to do some beach/snorkeling and see as much as possible.

Any suggestions as to route and/or timing? What are the must sees? Did see some ruins when in Coz previously.

First, you're in luck as there's only one main road around the entire island. But be sure to pick up a map from the rental agency or on line so you can navigate between the old highway and new higway on the west side and through San Miguel, if you take any side trips.

After picking up your rental, head south for Chankanaab for snorkeling (Alt stop is The Money Bar, old Dzul Ha). Other beaches have less or no iron shore. After snorkeling, continue south( a right out of the park) to the lighthouse (a right at Bob MArley's Rasta Bar) and eco park. Small $10pp entry. Climb the light house and view the gators and vista at the eco park.

Then continue on along the highway (a right coming out of the park) and see the shore lines along the so-called "wild" side. The beaches you see aren't really conducive to typical beach going but very scenic, with rock/coral formations and blow holes. Stop for lunch at Playa Bonita, or continue on a short ways to Coconuts(highest point on island) for a drink only--food there is decent, but Playa Bonita and Mezcalitos are better food spots. You can stop at Chen Rio or Punta Morena and maybe swim if the water isn't rough. There may or may not be lifeguards on duty and do play attention to any warning flags out.

And drive on to the transverse road (a left, only way you can go). If you didn't eat at Playa Bonita or Coconuts, do stop at Mezcalitos rigth at the turn. Once on the transverse road, you'll pass the Tequilla Musuem, an interesting but not necessarily must, stop. You'll also pass the entrance road to San Gervasio, the ruins, if you wish to stop there.

The transverse road turns into Benito Juarez which goes through San Miguel. There's a great pottery place betweeen Avenida 20 and Avenida 25. Also better prices and shopping along this stretch of San Miguel than in downtown/plaza area. Just stay on Benito Juarez to the shore road, Rafeal Melgar at the Hard Rock Cafe. The street AdolfoRosada Salas,

Calle 3 Sur and Calle 11 Sur will also get you to the shore road. Turn left and head back to the pier and the rental agency.

You've now been around the entire island!

If the weather is a bit cool early, just reverse the itinerary and directions and wind up snorkeling at Chankanaab or The Money Bar just before turning in your rental and heading back to the ship.

WOW! What a tremendous response -- sounds wonderful. The route touches on a lot of places I've read about. About how long would it take - not counting time eating and snorkeling?

Any more suggestions? Where to rent the car?

Depends on which pier you're at. Celebrity ships usually dock at the International Pier where Avis has a rental agency. They're also at the Ferry pier and at Puerta Maya where Carnival ships dock. You can reserve them on line. Alamo, Budget and Executive also have agencies in Cozumel I think Budget and Executive are at Punta Langosta.

Just be sure you get the local liability insurance and drive with one non-drinking driver. If you drive defensively you'll be fine, scooters are pretty aggressive though so just be alert and pay attention to others on the road. Read up on insurance needs and driving tips on sites like cozumel insider before you go.

As far as time, you can probably drive the full island loop in under an hour if you don't stop. How long you snorkel will depend on you and on the weather/water that day. Lunch anywhere is about an hour. Give yourself at least 1/2hour for the lighthouse and 5 minutes for every scenic stop you make, especially if you're taking pictures. An hour for the Tequila Museum if you go. 45 minutes for the ruins (I was going to say 15, but that's my max time at such things). A good 1/2 or longer at the pottery place if you're interested because there's a lot there. All in all I think you can do a pretty decent tour in 5 hours if you don't stay snorkeling too long or linger over drinks somewhere.

• 3 weeks later...

Holly2 - The route suggested by Crewsweeper is spot on. Me and my mum hired a car and did this route ... very easy.. all we had was the map from the car rental place. Also I am not used to driving a left-hand drive vehicle or driving on that side of the road... and it was fine!!!

We hired a car for $45 (before we turned the car back in we put back $10 for gas) at the port and drove out for our adventure!!

Would highly recommend the lunch stop at Playa Bonita.. great local food.. we had quesidillas, fajitas and a whole grilled grouper (fish)... awesome!! Wished we had brought our swim stuff as the beach by this restaurant was lovely. Our meal was $34 all in, plus free tequilla shots from the owner!

We were on the road for about 5 hours, before returning the car... I think this is a great way to see Cozumel cant wait to go back to do some more exploring... the lighthouse at Punta Sur is a must see/do, we negiotiated a $5 each entry to the park, as we only wanted to go to the lighthouse, as opposed to $10 each!

Hope you have fun!

Is a 4wd really required to get to Playa Bonita? I have rented a wreck and wonder if I should upgrade to a Jeep.

Thanks

No the roads are paved all the way. Gravel/sand lot in from of the cantina and shoulder parking across the road. Sometimes Rent-a-Wrecks can be good cars, just older.

Archived