Live in Rostock/Warnemüde - happy to help you enjoy.

Travelanni

rostocker.....Is Rostock in the area from which Catherine the Great came? Thank You for so much information.:)

Stettin was a German town, but now in Poland. A bit east of Rostock:)

Edited by SweetGG

Ok, Anni, I'm the person who will be going to Berlin from Warnemunde on a Great Weekend ticket. I just want to make sure I understand what I need to do here. My ship docks at 8 and since Oceania usually docks early and uses (I think) their projected "docked and cleared" time as arrival time, I would think I could get off at 8:15. I walk to the train station (thanks for info on your site) and buy a Great Weekend Ticket which allows my husband and I to get from Warnemunde to Rostock to Berlin on any RE train. (I simply buy a Great Weekend ticket, right, without having to specify where I'm going? Can I use a ticket machine there in Warnemunde? Will it accept a chip-less credit card? If not, there IS a counter in the station, right, that I can go to? Would you know if the ticket machine has an English option?) Anyway, continuing with my scenario and questions, I hopefully make the 8:37 train to Rostock, use your info to find the platform for the next train to Berlin and hopefully make the connection (think it's 9:07, but forget). Once in Berlin, I can use the ticket for public transportation there (although we'll probably just take the Hop On bus, since my husband's feet aren't as energetic as mine!) If we DO take the metro, do I just wave the ticket, or what? Are there special lanes or anything?

I will probably take the 4:45 train back to Rostock, and then a train to Warnemunde, just to allow time for unforeseen emergencies, since I don't want the ship to leave for Bornholm without us! (I think the ship takes our passports, so being without one and trying to get to a Danish island would ruin my day!)

Oh, other questions: Is there food for purchase on RE trains or should I get dinner in the Bahnhof? Does the Warnemunde lighthouse have a working light that I might be able to see from the port? What is the port web site, by the way? I'm still trying to figure out how many ships will be in port on the day we're there (Aug. 12).

Thank you SO much for this help. I really appreciate it!

Hi Roothy,

1. You can use the machine to buy a ticket but it will not accept the US chipless card, only the 'chip and pin' type. There is a ticket office on the station but the better alternative is to buy on-line and print out before you leave home or have cash. The machines all have touch screens with an English option. See 'How to buy on-line' on my web site.

2. If you make the 8:37 the next train is the 9:07 to Hamburg via Schwerin, change in Schwerin to the 10:16 to Berlin. The next train from Rostock direct to Berlin is the 10:34. If, by some miracle, you could make the the 8:07 you might catch the 8:34 direct to Berlin, just 6mins in Rostock but it is possible.

3. There are no barriers etc. on the trains, metro or buses. On the trains there is a ticket inspector. If you bought your ticket on-line he will also want to see the ID (credit card, passport etc.) which you nominated when buying; otherwise just the ticket. Don't forget to fill in the name of the principal traveller. On the metro and buses it is an honour system, you only produce your ticket when inspectors do a random check.

4. If you miss the 4:45 don't panic! You can always take the ICE direct to Warnemunde at 6:13 and pay the standard fare. Expensive but better than missing the ship.

5. I would NEVER go ashore in a foreign country without my passport. As far as I know you cannot be denied your passport if you ask for it, you just have to hand it back when you return on board.

6.There are only snacks from a machine on RE trains but there is a great range of eateries, both eat-in and take-away in Berlin Hauptbahnhof.

7. The official website for the Port of Rostock (Warnemunde Cruise Terminal) is

www.rostock-port.de/en/cruise-shipping/port-calls/2012-port-calls.html

I would not trust any other, they are often incomplete. There are two ships scheduled for August 12th, Marina and Norwegian Sun.

Most ports have an official web site with an English option (English being the universal language used at sea), just enter Port of............ into your search engine.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by rostocker

rostocker.....Is Rostock in the area from which Catherine the Great came? Thank You for so much information.:)

Hi, thanks for your appreciation.

Catherine the Great was born in Stettin, Prussia. Her father, Prince Christian Augustus of Anhalt-Zerbst, was a general in the Prussian service and at the time of her birth was military commandant in Stettin.

After WWll the Polish border was moved west and Stettin became Szczecin in Poland. It is about 3hours by train from Rostock and the Mecklenburg Vorpommern Day Ticket can be used to get there.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by rostocker

Ok, Anni, I'm the person who will be going to Berlin from Warnemunde on a Great Weekend ticket.

Does the Warnemunde lighthouse have a working light that I might be able to see from the port?

Thank you SO much for this help. I really appreciate it!

Hi Roothy, Oops, I missed something!!:o

The Warnemunde lighthouse is a working light which can be seen about 20 nautical miles (35klms) out to sea. It is one of the oldest and most important on the Baltic coast.

For more information see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warnemünde_Lighthouse

And thank YOU for your kind words of appreciation, it makes it all worthwhile.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by rostocker

We dock in Kiel and want to go to Hamburg to the Miniature Railroad Museum. Would you suggest the train, which involves switching to bus or metro in Hamburg - or would you rent a car in Kiel for the day and drive direct to the museum? We realize the car rental would be more expensive, but also want the maximum time to see the museum.

Car rentals in Kiel all seem to close at 6 PM. We are in port until 11 PM, so would like to not have the time restraint of driving back to Kiel by 6 PM. Do you know any car rentals that are open later? The major ones seem to be at the train station and wonder about a drop box for keys for a later return?

Appreciate all your wonderful info on this thread.

We dock in Kiel and want to go to Hamburg to the Miniature Railroad Museum. Would you suggest the train, which involves switching to bus or metro in Hamburg - or would you rent a car in Kiel for the day and drive direct to the museum? We realize the car rental would be more expensive, but also want the maximum time to see the museum.

Car rentals in Kiel all seem to close at 6 PM. We are in port until 11 PM, so would like to not have the time restraint of driving back to Kiel by 6 PM. Do you know any car rentals that are open later? The major ones seem to be at the train station and wonder about a drop box for keys for a later return?

Appreciate all your wonderful info on this thread.

Hi,

Thank you for your apprectiation. Unfortunately although I have been to Kiel a couple of times and know about the trains, and am also familiar with Hamburg and the Miniature Wunderland, it is not really my area and car hire in Kiel is something about which I know absolutely nothing. I would suggest that you try starting a thread on that subject eg Car Hire in Kiel, it would be more likely to attract the attention of someone who can give you the right answers.

However, I do know that to get from Kiel to the Miniature Wunderland you have to cross the city and knowing the traffic in Hamburg as I do plus the near impossibility of parking aound that area I doubt that driving would save you any time at all. It takes about 10mins to get from the Central Station to Baumwall by u-bahn and from there it is a 5min walk to Miniature Wunderland.

Hope someone else can be of more help.

Happy Cruising :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi Anni. Thanks so much for info; just wanted to follow up on what you told me. If I buy a Great Weekend ticket online, I do not have to buy anything more to get to Berlin from Warnemunde, right? In other words, the ticket covers the S-bahn trip to Rostock and then the RE trip to Berlin (through Schwerin if need be), right? I just hop on the train in Warnemunde with my ID and credit card used to purchase the ticket (and passport) and I'm good to go....and return!

Thanks. You are so helpful. Those cargo trips sound interesting, by the way.

Ruth

Edited by roothy123

Hi Anni. Thanks so much for info; just wanted to follow up on what you told me. If I buy a Great Weekend ticket online, I do not have to buy anything more to get to Berlin from Warnemunde, right? In other words, the ticket covers the S-bahn trip to Rostock and then the RE trip to Berlin (through Schwerin if need be), right? I just hop on the train in Warnemunde with my ID and credit card used to purchase the ticket (and passport) and I'm good to go....and return!

Thanks. You are so helpful. Those cargo trips sound interesting, by the way.

Ruth

Hi Ruth,

You have it absolutely right. You sound as if you don't quite believe it but yes, its as easy as that!

The cargo ship voyages have been fantastic for me although I must admit they are not for everyone. As you can see I have done quite a few but this year I am trying a cruise ship for the first time to please my friend whom I met on my very first cargo voyage 10 years ago. I'm sure we will enjoy it, we have deliberately chosen a smaller ship, but I'm also fairly certain that sailing on freighters will be my first choice as long as I am able.

Anni

Hi Ruth,

You have it absolutely right. You sound as if you don't quite believe it but yes, its as easy as that!

The cargo ship voyages have been fantastic for me although I must admit they are not for everyone. As you can see I have done quite a few but this year I am trying a cruise ship for the first time to please my friend whom I met on my very first cargo voyage 10 years ago. I'm sure we will enjoy it, we have deliberately chosen a smaller ship, but I'm also fairly certain that sailing on freighters will be my first choice as long as I am able.

Anni

Thanks; yes, I believe it but I just like to get everything straight before I leave. Sometimes things look easier than they are (particularly when it comes to navigation) and I've learned to do a LOT of research.

Is there a place I could read more about cargo travel? If I weren't married, I might try it, but my husband is more upscale than me, and I know he would think I'm crazy if I suggested it. I AM, however, curious about it, so if you have time (and only if) I'd love to hear more.

You are smart to try a small cruise ship first. That's what we did (Oceania's Regatta. 788 pax) and despite the fact that I was a little leery of cruising at first, it turns out I love it. Oceania is not cheap, but it's a great line with great food, service, etc., and the number of pax was a big plus for me, as I'm not crazy about crowds. I will continue to cruise on the smaller ships as long as I can afford them. Then again, they go to many of the same ports as the larger ships, so maybe I'm just over-spending to see the places I want to see...

Thanks again for the help.

Edited by roothy123

Hi,

1. The tickets you intend to buy are unlimited and the price does not change however or whenever you buy them.

2. The best way to see Lubeck is to walk! Otherwise you miss many of the lovely, picturesque little side streets which are well worth looking out for as you walk down the main streets. Lubeck is very compact, I have mobility limits but can walk from the railway station to the other side of the city, direct, in about half an hour. There are buses into the city but I'm afraid that I have no idea where the bus stop is, I have always walked. A bus back to the station would save time, any bus marked Bahnhof.

3. There are so many places to see the best way is to browse the official web site, it also has a good map which is very detailed if you enlarge to 150%.

www.luebeck-tourism.de/

I have never heard Lubeck itself referred to as 'Little Switzerland', it is a medieval city. This tag is sometimes given to the state of Schleswig Holstein by cruise tour operaters but I feel it is a bit exaggerated. However, the scenery between Keil and Lubeck is very nice.

4. There is very little difference between the RE and the RB. RE is a little faster as the RB has more stops. Docking at 8:00 and planning to catch the 8:44 is very optimistic, I would think the 9:04 would be much more likely especially if you have to get tickets. However, if you can make the 8:44 the most cost effective way is to get an Sch-Hol ticket as planned and then single tickets to Plön to cover the time before 9:00.

Hope this helps

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

HI Anni,

Thank you very much for all your replies so far. I will take the 9:04 train from Kiel to Lubeck although the travel time is longer, 1h28m. But its ok for us sicne the scenery is great. for the return trip, we will catch the 14:06 train since our ship will leave Kiel at 6:00pm.

1. Just to double confirm with you again if the Schleswig-Holstein-Ticket INCLUDE city bus operate in Lubeck?

2. Landerticket Mecklenburg Vorpommen include tram rides in the Rostock city as well?

I ll purchase both the Schleswig-Holstein-Ticket and Landerticket Mecklenburg- Vorpommen ticket online before my cruise on July.

Once again, thanks for all your effort this while on replying my questions. May God bless you.

Thanks; yes, I believe it but I just like to get everything straight before I leave. Sometimes things look easier than they are (particularly when it comes to navigation) and I've learned to do a LOT of research.

Is there a place I could read more about cargo travel? If I weren't married, I might try it, but my husband is more upscale than me, and I know he would think I'm crazy if I suggested it. I AM, however, curious about it, so if you have time (and only if) I'd love to hear more.

You are smart to try a small cruise ship first. That's what we did (Oceania's Regatta. 788 pax) and despite the fact that I was a little leery of cruising at first, it turns out I love it. Oceania is not cheap, but it's a great line with great food, service, etc., and the number of pax was a big plus for me, as I'm not crazy about crowds. I will continue to cruise on the smaller ships as long as I can afford them. Then again, they go to many of the same ports as the larger ships, so maybe I'm just over-spending to see the places I want to see...

Thanks again for the help.

Hi Ruth, you sound like me, I like to be sure I have everything straight in my mind before I go so that travel is a pleasure not a stress.

Glad you agree with our choice of a small ship. Like you I dislike crowds and that is one of the pleasures of a cargo ship; company of crew and other passengers (sometimes) if you want it and respect for your wish for solitude if you don't. Also more personal space than on a cruise ship.

If you would care to e-mail me on aussieinrostock@gmail.com I will let you have more details and some web sites.

Anni

HI Anni,

Once again, thanks for all your effort this while on replying my questions. May God bless you.

Hi, thanks once again for your appreciation.

1. The Schleswig-Holstein ticket does NOT include buses in Lübeck or anywhere else except the City of Hamburg

2 The Mecklenburg Vorpommern ticket does NOT include the the tram ride from Rostock Hbf to the City.

Both tickets can be used on all the local (red) trains in their areas

Anni

Hi Anni,

Sorry to bother you again. Once last question.. I understand that From Kiel Otsekai Port is about 1 mile from the train station.. Would it be too far walking to the train station from the pier?

I am going to Lubeck.

Thanks...

Hi Anni,

Sorry to bother you again. Once last question.. I understand that From Kiel Otsekai Port is about 1 mile from the train station.. Would it be too far walking to the train station from the pier?

I am going to Lubeck.

Thanks...

Hi, Sorry but I can't help you there as I am not familiar with the city of Kiel, I have only ever been there as a visitor by car. Maybe it would be a good idea to ask this question on one of the Kiel threads so either a local or someone who has already been there from a cruise ship can help.

Good luck

Happy cruising, :)

Anni

Thanks for all your information. I know you have discussed this many times before, but I have a couple of questions about train from Warnemunde to Schwerin.

First, I see you have always mentioned the stop Schwerin Hbf as the stop for visiting Schwerin. I have noticed that it appears on google maps that Schwerin Mitte is closer to center of town/castle. Is there a reason for one stop over the other for visiting the area?

Thanks for all your information. I know you have discussed this many times before, but I have a couple of questions about train from Warnemunde to Schwerin.

First, I see you have always mentioned the stop Schwerin Hbf as the stop for visiting Schwerin. I have noticed that it appears on google maps that Schwerin Mitte is closer to center of town/castle. Is there a reason for one stop over the other for visiting the area?

Hi,

Thanks for your appreciation and for asking this question, the reasons for choosing one over the other are both practical and my personal choice.

You are quite right about the distance, although it is not very much, but although on a map the Mitte station looks close to the castle there is no 'as the bird flies' route between the two. In Schwerin the centre of town is the modern, shopping/ business part of town. The area of most interest to visitors is the older part between the Pfaffenteich (the small lake near the Hbf) and the Castle.

Getting off in Schwerin Hbf is much easier for visitors who are not familiar with the train journey. It is the main station therefore you get more advanced warning of its approach and there are always a lot of people getting off and on so it is a reasonably long stop. German trains usually stop for the minimum time necessary, you have to be ready. Its no good starting to put your coat on as the train stops!! Schwerin Mitte is only 2mins from Hbf so you have to be standing by the door as soon as the train leaves Hbf and sometimes there is no-one else getting off or on, could be tricky if you have a problem operating the doors or something. I personally don't think either Mitte station or the area is a very nice introduction to a very lovely town.

The walk from Hbf is very pleasant, along the lakeside and through the older, pedestrian area of town. It also takes you past the Tourist Information Office. The walk from Mitte is across a car park, through a very modern, multi-level shopping mall of the type found in every city all over the world, across a busy traffic route and down a couple of very non-descript shopping streets.

As a local, if I was going to Schwerin alone simply to shop (not my thing !) I would probably use Mitte, at least for the return journey but never with visitors.

The above is just my opinion, others may disagree. It would be interesting to hear from visitors who have used Mitte.

Happy cruising, :)

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by rostocker

Anni,

this is a wonderful thread but it's so long now, I hope you don't mind me asking a couple of questions that are probably already answered!

we will be docking in Warnemude in June, on a Sunday. Our plan is to spend some time in Warnemude, Rostock, and Schwerin. But I did find a post from you indicating that shops in Rostock and Schwerin are closed on Sundays. Can you tell me what you would recommend doing in those towns on a Sunday? Also, we will use the train service...should we purchase a day ticket, or individual tickets?

appreciate your help....

Ruth H. (from Toronto)

Anni,

this is a wonderful thread but it's so long now, I hope you don't mind me asking a couple of questions that are probably already answered!

we will be docking in Warnemude in June, on a Sunday. Our plan is to spend some time in Warnemude, Rostock, and Schwerin. But I did find a post from you indicating that shops in Rostock and Schwerin are closed on Sundays. Can you tell me what you would recommend doing in those towns on a Sunday? Also, we will use the train service...should we purchase a day ticket, or individual tickets?

appreciate your help....

Ruth H. (from Toronto)

Hi, With the exception of seaside/tourist towns like Warnemunde and some shops in large railway stations there is no Sunday shopping in Germany. Museums and tourist attractions are open Sunday, if they have a day off it is usually Monday. Cafes and restaurants are open of course.

A day ticket is always the best option if you are going further than Rostock. However, if you buy a Mecklenburg Lander Ticket (eg for Schwerin) you will still need local transport tickets for the tram journey from the Rostock central station to Rostock city centre. For more information and prices please see pages 'Tickets - Deutsche Bahn' and 'Tickets - Local Transport' on my web site.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi, so sorry to have missed this question, when there are a lot of posts on the same day it is very easy to miss one. (My excuse and I'm sticking to it!)

The daily ICE from Warnemunde does normally go straight through to Munich but on your date, 31/08, it will start at 6:24 in Rostock which I assume would be far too early.

The next best option is to go via Hamburg. The ICs from Rostock at 10:25, 12:43 and 14:25 all make good connections with an ICE to Munich. Total travel time from Warnemunde just over 9 hours. Travel time to Munich via Berlin is longer unless you can use the ICE.

I don't think there would be any advantage in a rail pass but you would be better advised by a USA web site on this as rail passes once you are in Europe are different, tourists get a better deal buying in their home country! A limited number of discounted standard fares are for sale on-line from 92 days before the date of travel. http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query2.exe/en

Once again, apologies for the delay

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi Anni! A couple of questions I am not clear about .... where do we put our luggage on the train? Is there a separate rail car just for luggage, do we check it before we board the train, or keep it with us at our seats?

Also, for the Rostock-Munich trip on Aug. 11, there is a train from Rostock Hbf to Munich leaving Rostock at 9:29, arriving in Munich at 18:42. The website says there are no connections, so I'm assuming that we just stay on the train until we get to Munich. Our ship docks at 7:00 the morning of Aug. 11. Do you think we will have enough time to make the 9:29 to Munich? The website also says, that due to construction, the train will leave 25 minutes early, so that would make it around 9:04. Too early?

You mentioned the limited number of standard fare tix on sale 92 days prior to travel date. Is the standard fare the same as 2nd class?

Sorry for all the questions! Your help is greatly appreciated! :)

Hi Anni! A couple of questions I am not clear about .... where do we put our luggage on the train? Is there a separate rail car just for luggage, do we check it before we board the train, or keep it with us at our seats?

Also, for the Rostock-Munich trip on Aug. 11, there is a train from Rostock Hbf to Munich leaving Rostock at 9:29, arriving in Munich at 18:42. The website says there are no connections, so I'm assuming that we just stay on the train until we get to Munich. Our ship docks at 7:00 the morning of Aug. 11. Do you think we will have enough time to make the 9:29 to Munich? The website also says, that due to construction, the train will leave 25 minutes early, so that would make it around 9:04. Too early?

You mentioned the limited number of standard fare tix on sale 92 days prior to travel date. Is the standard fare the same as 2nd class?

Sorry for all the questions! Your help is greatly appreciated! :)

Hi, the first question is easy! On ICE trains there are large luggage spaces/racks at both ends of every car and one space for luggage in the middle. It is quite safe to put your luggage there, you can easily see it and in my 20 years of using DB I have never heard of anyone having their luggage stolen. If you have luggage in the aisle or taking up a seat you may be asked to move it to the space provided.

Now for the difficult bit. I am very confused as I have checked three different versions of the DB site (including the German site which is always up to date) and find that there are no longer any indications of delays due to trackwork. This is very worrying as I have given a lot of info on this subject on CC and it all now seems to have changed. I will check in person tomorrow at the main station and post again as soon as I have it straight.

If the info I am getting now is correct you will have plenty of time to catch the ICE direct from Warnemunde to Berlin and connect with an ICE to Munich there. This would be completely different from the info on the same sites a week ago when the ICE went direct to Munich and the timetable was affected by trackwork.

The limited special fares on offer from 92 days vary. They are a reduction, often quite considerable, on either the standard 2nd class fare, the 1st class fare or both. You never know until they appear!

I am sorry about the confusion but I can only go on what the DB web sites tell me and they are most definitely confusing at the moment but I will sort it out.

Anni

Hi, as promised I have been in touch with DB. This is the answer which I was given.

A glitch in the system meant that incorrect trackwork warnings were in place for the ICE Warnemunde to Berlin for the months of June, July and August

This has now been corrected and the present on-line timetables etc. will apply for the rest of the summer.

From June 1.

ICE Departs Warnemunde 6:58 Mon - Fri, 9:01 Sat. No service Sun.

So you will have plenty of time to catch the ICE 1611 direct to Munich (changes in Berlin are during June only) departing Warnemunde 9:01 arriving Munich 18:42. This information was obtained from the DB Travel Office but please check on-line nearer to your travel date.

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query2.exe/en?ld=9667&country=GBR&rt=1&OK#focus

Sorry about the confusion but I can only give the information which DB gives to me.

Anni

Hi, as promised I have been in touch with DB. This is the answer which I was given.

A glitch in the system meant that incorrect trackwork warnings were in place for the ICE Warnemunde to Berlin for the months of June, July and August

This has now been corrected and the present on-line timetables etc. will apply for the rest of the summer.

From June 1.

ICE Departs Warnemunde 6:58 Mon - Fri, 9:01 Sat. No service Sun.

So you will have plenty of time to catch the ICE 1611 direct to Munich (changes in Berlin are during June only) departing Warnemunde 9:01 arriving Munich 18:42. This information was obtained from the DB Travel Office but please check on-line nearer to your travel date.

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query2.exe/en?ld=9667&country=GBR&rt=1&OK#focus

Sorry about the confusion but I can only give the information which DB gives to me.

Anni

Anni, you are a peach! Thank you so much for checking this out. We will plan to take the ICE 1611 on Aug. 11 to Munich. I was looking at the DB website and entered a "dummy" booking, just to see what it gives for the seating configuration. Since my husband is quite tall, we thought it would be more comforatable in first class.

If we want to have two seats next to each other, similar to airline seating, what would we request? Open saloon? What is the Compartment seating? Sorry to sound so ignorant -- just want to get it right when the time comes to make the reservations. Thanks again for all your help!:)

Anni, you are a peach! Thank you so much for checking this out. We will plan to take the ICE 1611 on Aug. 11 to Munich. I was looking at the DB website and entered a "dummy" booking, just to see what it gives for the seating configuration. Since my husband is quite tall, we thought it would be more comforatable in first class.

If we want to have two seats next to each other, similar to airline seating, what would we request? Open saloon? What is the Compartment seating? Sorry to sound so ignorant -- just want to get it right when the time comes to make the reservations. Thanks again for all your help!:)

Hi, thanks for the title! My favourite fruit, I'm flattered.

It is a matter of personal opinion of course but I have travelled in both 1st and 2nd class on ICEs and really cannot see a lot of difference. The main space difference is width, 1+2 seats across in 1st, 2+2 seats across in second. Leather seats in 1st and upholstered seats in 2nd, both very comfortable.

Compartment seating is 6 or 8 seats in an enclosed space, two sets of 3 or 4 facing each other which cuts down on leg room. OK for a family or group of friends but the chances of getting one to yourselves is virtually nil. Compartment seating is often used by families with children and does not have luggage storage other than overhead racks.

When you book choose 'open saloon', not 'open saloon with table'. The table cannot be moved which makes getting in and out awkward and you have 2 other seats facing across the table so the leg room is cramped. The 'open saloon' seats are in pairs so you have more privacy and can stretch your legs under the seat in front. In both 1st and 2nd class these seats are airline type, good recline with fold away arm rest and a let down table in the back of the seat in front plus electric outlets for laptops etc. You will automatically be given a pair of seats, side by side if you leave the other choice as is. I'm afraid that you cannot choose the exact place within the car or the direction in which you face but that is immaterial as the train changes its direction of travel at least twice between Rostock and Munich.

This web site has some nice photos of ICE interiors.

http://europeforvisitors.com/germany/trains/ice-trains-photos.htm

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by rostocker