Debarking in Cozumel with minor child

mightykat

So everything I've read states that I need a letter from my son's father allowing me to travel with him internationally - my problem is that my son's father is nowhere to be found. Without getting into the whole story, they've never met, he's obviously not a part of my son's life and I wouldn't know where to find him if I could.

With that being said, my son will be 16 at the time of our cruise. We do share the same last name, so that wouldn't raise a flag. What are the chances that I'm actually going to be asked to supply a letter to the Mexican government? Has anyone ever been in this situation before?

I've only been to Cozumel once and all I remember when trying to get back onto the ship was right when we got to the pier and we had to show our photo ID along with our S&S card.

Thanks for any advice ya'll might be able to give :)

I could be wrong, but it is Carnival that would want the letter. The Mexican government won't care. Once you and your son are on the ship and he has a sail and sign card, that along with photo ID (not sure if that's at 16 or 18 years of age) is your entry and exit to the port area and your ship.

The question may be whether Carnival will have an issue. The same last name may help, but I'd ring them to ask because that will be your problem, not authorities in Mexico when you come off the ship.

I recently went to Progresso and Cozumel with my minor child. I had a letter from my ex stating I could take her, but no one ever asked for it.

ETA: Come to think of it, I think the only time anyone would be asked to provide such a letter is when you check in and get your sign-n-sail card. Once on board, who's to say how many are in your party and what the relationships are?

Been on bunches of cruises with my 9 year old daughter (just us 2) and even though I am not divorced i have never once been asked for a letter saying my husband agreed to let me take our daughter out of the country. My point is that Carnival doesnt know if I am married or not and i have never had a problem with this.

I'm pretty much in the same situation, divorced my DD's dad when she was an infant and he has no part in her life. Doesn't pay child support, doesn't send her stuff, doesn't really talk to her (but yet the courts refuse to grant me sole legal custody even though I have sole physical!) I've always managed to get a notorized "permission slip" from him though to take her out of country once a year. I've never ever been asked for it, but I figure better to have it and not need it than to not have it and get into trouble with Carnival and/or Customs!

• 2 weeks later...

When I went on Royal Caribbean and then on Carnival, I had the notarized permission from their father. They never asked for it. When we went on our Norwegian cruise, I didn't even bother him for it, and they REQUIRED it!! WE were not allowed to board. I had to call all of his family members to try to track him down, convince him (a total -hole if you know what I mean) to go to a bank to get it notarized and then fax it to the ship! We nearly missed the ship. The kids were tired and hungry after hours of waiting. It was terrible. So now, I make sure I have it just in case.

Archived