MSC questions

buckirj1

.[...Ah yes WAFFLE HOUSE and CHICK FIL A ...Now it is clear why you are not a fan of MSC, I guess you are not accustomed to authentic, well made food.

...I am sure others have grown tired of these one liners and put downs (mine included)

Enjoy! /quote]

Zambinis posts were about service quality, and he related that what is considered "Excellent" on MSC is standard and common in fast food joints, not a post about food quality.

I have to agree with the others, you appear so blinded in your quest to prove those that don't like MSC wrong that you can't keep up with the discussion, not a very becoming impression.

[...Ah yes WAFFLE HOUSE and CHICK FIL A ...Now it is clear why you are not a fan of MSC, I guess you are not accustomed to authentic, well made food.

...I am sure others have grown tired of these one liners and put downs (mine included)

Enjoy! /quote]

Zambinis posts were about service quality, and he related that what is considered "Excellent" on MSC is standard and common in even low priced fast food joints, not a post about food quality.

I have to agree with the others, you appear so blinded in your quest to prove those that don't like MSC wrong that you are not considering the discussion, just looking for a reason to post a disparaging remark, like on this one.

I agree with him, posting the stuff about not serving drinks until you actually sit down and free honey with your tea is not really going to impress someone if you are trying to convince them just how great an MSC cruise is.

Thanks to everyone for the additional information. MSC seems deficient in a few things I consider important, but if the prices drop like they did last year I might be able to overlook them.

One more question: does the room service menu include hot foods? I know there's a charge, and I'm mostly okay with that.

The room service menu is pretty limited, BUT it IS free on sailings from North America.

I'm the OP. I didn't mean deficient in a bad sense. Perhaps it might have been better if I'd written that MSC doesn't seem to offer certain things important to me on a cruise. For example, I loathe assigned seating. If I can't have open seating, then I'd prefer an evening buffet...especially on gala/formal nights. I like having a self service laundry onboard, even if I never use it.For comfort's sake, I need a shower of reasonably generous proportions (i.e. Carnival/Cunard/NCL size as opposed to RCI, Celebrity, Princess)as I am also of generous proportions:p.

Other than that, I'm pretty low maintenance. I'd still consider MSC if the price dropped low enough.

Also on the NA sailings, there IS food available outside of the dining room every evening. Usually they do have a limited buffet open and/or the grill. There is (REALLY good) pizza on every night, including the gala nights. And then there is the sushi bar, though they will charge you extra there. BUT--it is entirely possible to last the entire cruise without ever stepping foot inside of the dining room.

Here is a link to the program sheets from a cruise in January. If you look at every 4th page, you'll see all of the meal options/times for each day:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/576378845JCYzzk

As far as the showers, I'd say they are smallish. But I think that if you plan to book one of the higher-priced cabins--these do have bigger showers, some even with tubs. One other idea is to try and book a cabin that is handicapped-accessible, because they are bigger, all-around. They will usually let you reserve one of these, but may have to take it back at some point before the cruise, if they end up needing it for a passenger in a wheelchair.

I'm the OP. I didn't mean deficient in a bad sense. Perhaps it might have been better if I'd written that MSC doesn't seem to offer certain things important to me on a cruise. For example, I loathe assigned seating. If I can't have open seating, then I'd prefer an evening buffet...especially on gala/formal nights. I like having a self service laundry onboard, even if I never use it.For comfort's sake, I need a shower of reasonably generous proportions (i.e. Carnival/Cunard/NCL size as opposed to RCI, Celebrity, Princess)as I am also of generous proportions:p.

Other than that, I'm pretty low maintenance. I'd still consider MSC if the price dropped low enough.

Thanks for your prompt reply. Still trying to dodge the arrows.

I have to agree and really missed the self-serve laundry, although we missed it on RCI too ( and that was a 10 day cruise). I found the shower on MSC no smaller than on Carnival or NCL and found the bathroom had more shelf space than on NCL ( Dawn and Sun).

After doing NCL I wasn't sure how well we would re-adjust to a dinning time but it worked well for us on MSC. We choose late dining and had a table just for our party. Our waiter was outstanding and we enjoyed going to the show before dinner.

I wish there weren't so many cheerleaders and bashers on these boards and you would be allowed a fairer assessment of MSC.

Lastly, don't wait and choose MSC only if the price is bargain basement, you will surely be dissatisfied. I am so tired of people posting negative stuff about MSC when they should have known how the ship is run. Either you can live with it or you can't, it shouldn't be about getting a 'deal'.

MSC has lots of stuff going for it, like the best Gellato I've ever had (including in Italy), the cheapest beer and wine price anywhere at sea, and super clean ships (just look at the scores).

I know I will enjoy my upcoming cruise, but find it sad that I must hide from all the complainers whilst on board.

Hope that if you do decide to try MSC you have an enjoyable vacation!

... I am so tired of people posting negative stuff about MSC when they should have known how the ship is run ...

Why should they know? ... or for that matter how could they know?

Anyone posting here trying to explain the reality of how the ship is run will be instantly shouted down and labelled as a basher by the same small group of confrontational, disingenuous cheerleaders who have been pushing their personal agenda here for years. Despite their best intentions, if anyone tries to point out that things aren't always perfect on MSC they are met with derision and yet another exaggerated sermon. If you doubt this, just wait for the reaction to this post ... which if things follow the normal path will be a personal attack.

I would strongly suggest that prospective MSC cruisers read the many member reviews and compare the accumulated member rankings instead of basing decisions on these misleading and vitriolic forums.

... MSC has lots of stuff going for it, like the best Gellato I've ever had (including in Italy), the cheapest beer and wine price anywhere at sea ...

As I've pointed out elsewhere, that's a completely untrue and misleading statement. It may be the case for MSC cruises sold from and departing from the USA but the exact opposite is true elsewhere in the World. On our transatlantic MSC cruise which departed from Europe and ended in the US, the drink prices were the highest we've ever encountered on any cruise.

Thanks for your prompt reply. Still trying to dodge the arrows.

I have to agree and really missed the self-serve laundry, although we missed it on RCI too ( and that was a 10 day cruise). I found the shower on MSC no smaller than on Carnival or NCL and found the bathroom had more shelf space than on NCL ( Dawn and Sun).

After doing NCL I wasn't sure how well we would re-adjust to a dinning time but it worked well for us on MSC. We choose late dining and had a table just for our party. Our waiter was outstanding and we enjoyed going to the show before dinner.

I wish there weren't so many cheerleaders and bashers on these boards and you would be allowed a fairer assessment of MSC.

Lastly, don't wait and choose MSC only if the price is bargain basement, you will surely be dissatisfied. I am so tired of people posting negative stuff about MSC when they should have known how the ship is run. Either you can live with it or you can't, it shouldn't be about getting a 'deal'.

MSC has lots of stuff going for it, like the best Gellato I've ever had (including in Italy), the cheapest beer and wine price anywhere at sea, and super clean ships (just look at the scores).

I know I will enjoy my upcoming cruise, but find it sad that I must hide from all the complainers whilst on board.

Hope that if you do decide to try MSC you have an enjoyable vacation!

Now, why in the world would they be complaining?:rolleyes: (clear enough MTL?)

I think this statement, from an experienced MSC cruiser, should tell all potential cruisers what they need to know: Most cruisers are NOT happy campers on MSC!

Have you noticed that all the negative posters always receive bad service?

Hmm , Makes you wonder....

On our cruises our wait staff poured/brought our drinks immediately.

Our wait staff did a great job in the MDR. Always smiling and ready to assist, took care of our kids wants and exceptions with a smile.

Maybe if they received good service they wouldn't write negative reviews?:rolleyes:

Now, why in the world would they be complaining?:rolleyes: (clear enough MTL?)

I think this statement, from an experienced MSC cruiser, should tell all potential cruisers what they need to know: Most cruisers are NOT happy campers on MSC!

MSC Cruises worldwide in 2009 carried one million twohundred thousand passengers. This year it will exceed that number quite a bit. Strange that "Most cruisers are not happy campers on MSC!"

Hi Capri: Wishing you a very happy holiday season, safe journeys for the future and lots of happiness!

More and more people seem happy on the MSC USA cruises with each sailing we do on them. I think more people are understanding the differences and instead of comparing they just enjoy the cruise. On every line they have people who compare this cruise to that cruise. I do try to stay clear of them too. The food is improving, the customer service is more able to handle issues --- I think years ago there was a big language barrier which is diminishing now. I saw a big difference with foreign workers who speak English well. Many were from South Africa and Canada working on MSC POESIA. There are always language issues with cabin stewards and wait staff on all cruise lines we have done.

Thanks Cam. Same to you and yours. Of the two Italian cruise lines, I like Costa slightly better, but Mr. Aponte's MSC has come a long way since he bought his first ship some 40 years ago. The cruise division has the newest ships in the business (except the old Melody) and while Costa's passenger numbers are double MSC's, we're still talking about over a million mostly satisfied customers a year (excluding a few CC members). MSC is like Avis - they try harder.

MSC Cruises worldwide in 2009 carried one million twohundred thousand passengers. This year it will exceed that number quite a bit. Strange that "Most cruisers are not happy campers on MSC!"

Doesn't mean they are smart or happy, with the " buy one week, get one free" promotion, It appears bribery is an effective means to fill your ships.

What was it P.T. Barnum said?...

... we're still talking about over a million mostly satisfied customers a year (excluding a few CC members) ...

That's rubbish ... just a nonsense generalisation which is not reflected in the rankings given by the thousands of CC members. There are dozens of other cruise review web sites and the sentiment regarding MSC is almost universal.

It's not just some uncanny coincidence that tens of thousands of passengers who write reviews and post on websites seem to agree that MSC leave some things to be desired.

Try reading the forums for the other cruise lines such as RCL, Celebrity, Crystal, Louis, etc. and you'll find both similar and worse criticisms. I'll make two points: CC members are only a small percentage of the cruising public; and it's common knowledge that companies never hear from most of their satisfied customers, but the unhappy campers lay it on!

Try reading the forums for the other cruise lines such as RCL, Celebrity, Crystal, Louis, etc. and you'll find both similar and worse criticisms. I'll make two points: CC members are only a small percentage of the cruising public; and it's common knowledge that companies never hear from most of their satisfied customers, but the unhappy campers lay it on!

and I'd add to that, if you exclude the US sailings from the mix, then CC members are not representative in any way at all of the passengers who sail MSC. You'd need to turn to cruise boards that are in French, Italian or Spanish for that.

and I'd add to that, if you exclude the US sailings from the mix, then CC members are not representative in any way at all of the passengers who sail MSC. You'd need to turn to cruise boards that are in French, Italian or Spanish for that.

Can you share with us some of those boards?

I think that all the reports or forums around the world will not satisfy the ones who have determined to smear this line.

Maybe if they received good service they wouldn't write negative reviews?:rolleyes:

So, it is your impression that the servers or any staff gave poor service to ALL and the ones who enjoyed their cruise are too ignorant to have noticed?

Please confirm, I am dying to hear your views on this...

Hello Amomondo,

Yes, could you please share some of those boards in other languages? I am fluent in Spainish and French, and I can certainly get around in Italian. I would love to read those posts if I knew where to find them.

Please post a link, if you happen to know what they are.

We are sailing on the MSC Magnifica for an Eastern Med sailing on January 4th, and I would like to find out what their opinions are before departure. THe more information we have the better. For now, we are travelling with an open mind, and a spirit for adventure. I just hope the weather cooperates a little bit so we can fly from Los Angeles to Munich (and on to Venice) in the first place.

So, it is your impression that the servers or any staff gave poor service to ALL and the ones who enjoyed their cruise are too ignorant to have noticed?

Swoosh!

Right over the head!

LOL!:D

I think that all the reports or forums around the world will not satisfy the ones who have determined to smear this line.

Why do you feel you need to use language like "smear this line"?

Most members here simply state factual information based on personal experience. Why do you feel you need to try intimidating and challenging them if their experience was in any way less than perfect?

I think that all the reports or forums around the World will not satisfy those who have determined to over-defend.

"Service is not a forte. Front desk, unless you are able to communicate in Italian (I had no issues, and was quickly taken care of at each request) but did notice that others were treated less than polite, very curt answers, or we cannot accommodate etc)

Cafeteria staff: particularly the Romanian servers, very cold, and sometimes rude to some."

These sentences I extracted from your review of your cruise on MSC POESIA. I had a very similar experience...and I do believe that some cruisers got better service and some even worse. Our MDR server was very inefficient,unpleasant and made constant mistakes,while a few tables next to us people were getting the same good service which is common on other cruiselines.

At the front desk I observed the same attitude as you described as "others were treated less than polite...." and no,you do not have to suggest that it was my or those treated that way own fault.It was not!

What else are you dying for to hear?

Archived