Jump to content

Canadian traveller, needs some input on travel insurance


Recommended Posts

Hey guys,


I want to start by saying Im truly sorry about yet another thread on travel insurance. In my defense I have searched the posts and cannot quite find what I am looking for, so here is my situation:


-Booked a cruise out of Miami on March 5th, 2011

-Departing from New Brunswick, Canada on March 4th to Toronto, Toronto-Miami March 5th +- 8:00am

-Flight is through Air Canada therefore not connected with cruise line at all.

-Final destination flight is on the same day as the cruise (impossible for me any earlier), but two possible flights to Miami that day from Toronto (that would be there before 4:00pm)

-I already have insurance through my credit card and my company's plan BUT in both cases they seams to cover only if the trip starts and ends in New Brunsick (AI type vacation would be covered all flights included etc.) So theoretically my vacation consists of two separate itineraries but are ultimately VERY dependent from one another.

-Not concerned about health insurance, already covered for that.

-Here is the worst case scenario for me: Weather very bad in Toronto March 5th and cannot make it to Miami in time, therefore cannot get on the ship, which would pretty much result in me shooting myself...


I know most of you guys will tell me to just get a trip insurance! But I would like to know what kind of plan, prices, options, and if some Canadians on this site have had similar experiences that would be great. Sorry about the long post.


Thank you

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm surprised that you believe the trip is not completely covered. The flights are presumably on a single reservation, all on Air Canada, and of course include 4 legs, therefore starting and ending in NB. Have you talked to the insurance folks with the credit card? To my way of thinking where the bad weather or delay occurs should not matter. There are lots of alternatives to your CC insurance but it seems to me that they would be redundant to what you have.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

I have called my credit card company and they cover my flights to the next destination to catch the ship in case of weather or mechanical problems with flights, so im good now! The only down side now is the 2 month wait to feel the warm Caribbean sun!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We just returned from the warm Caribbean sun. It was wonderful and to short a visit. We have no idea if or when we will return. I wore my Saint John shirt on Friday and was stopped by 4 people with comments about their connection to the area. Three in Grand Cayman and one lady on the ship who was from Cleveland but was born in Saint John.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Welcome to Cruise Critic
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Set Sail Beyond the Ordinary with Oceania Cruises
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: The Widest View in the Whole Wide World
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Cruise Critic News & Features
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
  • Create New...