Trying to decide???

bdavis932

We are going on the NCL Spirit next July out of New Orleans. Ports of call include Costa Maya, Roatan, Belize City, and Cozumel.

My husband and son will be scuba diving in Belize and Roatan and we have decided to explore the town/go shopping in Cozumel since we've been there twice before.

I'm really confused with what to do as far as an excursion for my mom, daughter (11) and myself! Idealy we'd like to do an excusion while the guys are scuba diving. My mom (68) cannot do anything that requires too strenuous of activities (no climbing, in and out of boats, zip lines etc and she doesn't swim so beaches would not be a good choice either.). We also wouldn't mind just visiting cities rather then scheduleding an excursion, but I'm not sure that some of these ports have places of interest to visit.

Can anyone tell me if Costa Maya, Roatan, and Belize City have shopping, landmarks, museums, old churches, etc to visit? And any experience with excursions that might suit us would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

We are going on the NCL Spirit next July out of New Orleans. Ports of call include Costa Maya, Roatan, Belize City, and Cozumel.

My husband and son will be scuba diving in Belize and Roatan and we have decided to explore the town/go shopping in Cozumel since we've been there twice before.

I'm really confused with what to do as far as an excursion for my mom, daughter (11) and myself! Idealy we'd like to do an excusion while the guys are scuba diving. My mom (68) cannot do anything that requires too strenuous of activities (no climbing, in and out of boats, zip lines etc and she doesn't swim so beaches would not be a good choice either.). We also wouldn't mind just visiting cities rather then scheduleding an excursion, but I'm not sure that some of these ports have places of interest to visit.

Can anyone tell me if Costa Maya, Roatan, and Belize City have shopping, landmarks, museums, old churches, etc to visit? And any experience with excursions that might suit us would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

In either Costa Maya or Belize, book a tour for the Mayan ruins. Use Native Choice in Costa Maya, you can google their website or see postings on this board. In Belize use a ship's excursion for the tour as these can be long. You might wish to look for the Belize City/Altun Ha ruins tour is offered. St John's is the oldest Anglican church in Central America, not much to see but interesting and there's a great cultural musuem in the old Governors Mansion across the street. There is probably a Belize City/zoo tour. The zoo is basically a game rehabitat for injured or endangered animals native to Belize. It is different and interesting.

Most shopping in Belize is in the Tourism Village where your ship's tenders dock. Likewise most shopping in Roatan is in the port area at Coxen Hole, where you'll probably dock or in Mahogany Bay if you dock there. Go on the Roatan Boards and look up tours by Victor Bodden or Rony. They'll set up an island tour for you. Very lovely. In Costa Maya, if you don't do the ruins tour, there is typical tourist shopping in the pier area and in the town just outside the gates. Take a cab down to Mahahual village and walk along the malecon by the beach and you'll see some native crafts.

Have a great cruise. Your husband and son will love the diving off Roatan and Belize and there are dives off Costa Maya (Mahahual) that are excellent too.

Archived