Day room Tahiti

woodley

Does anyone know of a hotel in Tahiti that we can book a day room for or a luggage store? Our flight does not leave until very late at night and I do not want to spend hours sitting at the airport with my luggage. thanks

Does anyone know of a hotel in Tahiti that we can book a day room for or a luggage store? Our flight does not leave until very late at night and I do not want to spend hours sitting at the airport with my luggage. thanks

From what we have found, the day room rate will be the same as if you booked a night at the hotels in Tahiti (quite expensive). You can enquire online at any of the local hotels for a reservation and explain to them that you would like early check in. You can find luggage storage at the flower shop across from the airport for a fee, which would be much less expensive. I am not sure of their hours of operation though, you might need to check on that before having them hold your luggage to make sure they don't close before you return.

I know on Princess, they hold our luggage that final day until we are ready to go to the airport, and we have access to the ship until the time we leave in the evening (although no access to our actual stateroom onboard that must be vacated by 8:00 AM so it can be cleaned and ready for the next group of passengers). They even store our carry ons for us so we can do whatever we like that final day.

Keep in mind, the FAAA airport is quite a bit different than any other, and no matter what, you will have to arrive several hours before your flight and wait at the airport. The lines for check in and security take longer than any airport we have ever flown into or out of. 3-4 hours before your flight would be my suggestion as to a safe time to arrive to begin the check in process.

If you are on Royal Princess, you can spend the day coming and going from the ship as you please prior to your late night flight. You have access to everything on the ship except your stateroom which you vacate 0800 in order for them to clean and prepare for the newly arriving passengers. We found it was a very enjoyable relaxing day to spend prior to heading to the airport for our late night flight. Or you could take in one last island tour, shopping etc. for the day or part of the day. You can even use the showers in the spa to freshen up at the end of the day if you wish.

Thanks for the replies. I am not on princess we are flying in from new zealand after our cruise with HAL. I do think that it is great that princess allow passengers to continue to use the ship after docking although it must make for a crowded ship.

I have decided to rent a car for the day doing a one way rental picking it up from near the ferry port and dropping off at the airport, so we can see a bit of tahiti, solve the problem of what to do with our luggage and get to the airport when we want to.

Thanks for the replies. I am not on princess we are flying in from new zealand after our cruise with HAL. I do think that it is great that princess allow passengers to continue to use the ship after docking although it must make for a crowded ship.

I have decided to rent a car for the day doing a one way rental picking it up from near the ferry port and dropping off at the airport, so we can see a bit of tahiti, solve the problem of what to do with our luggage and get to the airport when we want to.

Actually, it doesn't make for an overcrowded ship at all. I have been surprised that each visit to Tahiti with princess, that it has been handled with the double passenger load very well. Since when many arrive, they are in their cabins unpacking, napping, visiting things off the ship, it has never felt overly crowded. Those that are allowed to stay onboard until their flights take their meals at the buffet (and with more than one flight, those meal times are staggered a bit). Luggage is held under a tent at the dock, and carry ons are checked at the specialty restaurant until just before we disembark. Since we are still allowed to come and go all day, take a tour, or just walk around Papeete, the ship never has everyone on it at one time except in the early evening when new passengers are headed to the dining room for dinner, while those disembarking are taking their meals at the buffet (which is open 24/7 that final day). It works out quite well for everyone this way, and no need for a day room that final day in Papeete. They also allow you to use the spa showers to freshen up before you go to the airport. They really have this down to a science now. :)

Have a great trip, and I hope your car rental works out well for you. ;)

As long as you book a transfer (we only booked going to the airport) with them, u can use the ship. Otherwise, you're off at 9:00am. If u stay on the ship--we didn't leave out bathing suit, which we should have.....Otherwise, enjoy. They leave u alone. It;s your best bet to book a transfer--BLD on board the ship--food very xpensive otherwise.

As long as you book a transfer (we only booked going to the airport) with them, u can use the ship. Otherwise, you're off at 9:00am. If u stay on the ship--we didn't leave out bathing suit, which we should have.....Otherwise, enjoy. They leave u alone. It;s your best bet to book a transfer--BLD on board the ship--food very xpensive otherwise.

Have they changed this since past years? I know many of those staying onboard that did not book the transfer to the airport (some were even going to local hotels for a post cruise stay) stayed onboard until well after noon, until they could check in at their hotel (booked privately, not through the cruise line). I never ran into anyone that was made to leave the ship by 9:00 AM because they didnt' book ships transfers. I do know that everyone had to be off by around 8:00 PM that night though. Will check this out next month and see if they have changed the rules on this one. ;)

We are just off the Royal, Saturday. They give you luggage tags according to your flight schedule. Bags are on the port. Those who book independently are requested or signed off to be off at 9 or so. I was just there. If I can, I'll try to scan the debarkation paper....

We are just off the Royal, Saturday. They give you luggage tags according to your flight schedule. Bags are on the port. Those who book independently are requested or signed off to be off at 9 or so. I was just there. If I can, I'll try to scan the debarkation paper....

Yes, I would definitely appreciate it. We have some in our CC group that have not booked transfers, and if this is the case, I need to alert them. I know last fall when we sailed this cruise, it didn't matter if you had transfers or not, you received a luggage tag according to if you booked the transfer for luggage sorting purposes, but passengers were not requested to leave the ship by 9:00 AM if they hadn't booked a ships transfer. If this has changed, I definitely need to pass along the information to our roll call group. Would appreciate seeing the disembarkation paper if you get a moment to scan. Thank you so much!

Yes, I would definitely appreciate it. We have some in our CC group that have not booked transfers, and if this is the case, I need to alert them. I know last fall when we sailed this cruise, it didn't matter if you had transfers or not, you received a luggage tag according to if you booked the transfer for luggage sorting purposes, but passengers were not requested to leave the ship by 9:00 AM if they hadn't booked a ships transfer. If this has changed, I definitely need to pass along the information to our roll call group. Would appreciate seeing the disembarkation paper if you get a moment to scan. Thank you so much!

It has changed... They have 6 or 7 different times to meet in the Cabaret Lounge depending on your flight time... Promise I will try to scan to the board--please give me a few days--and directions on how to scan.

It has changed... They have 6 or 7 different times to meet in the Cabaret Lounge depending on your flight time... Promise I will try to scan to the board--please give me a few days--and directions on how to scan.

If you have a problem scanning it and posting it, you can email it to me and I will get it posted for you if you would like. My email is attached to my signature if needed. ;)

They do not require the passengers who have not booked Princess transfers to leave the ship. In fact they have no way of even policing this. We had people stay most of the day on ship and yet had their own transport to the airport, had hotels booked for later in the day or were heading over to Moorea on the ferry late afternoon or early evening. All of them were able to stay on the ship or come and go as they pleased. Their luggage gets stored on the dock in an area separate form the luggage that goes with the Princess transfers.

They do not require the passengers who have not booked Princess transfers to leave the ship. In fact they have no way of even policing this. We had people stay most of the day on ship and yet had their own transport to the airport, had hotels booked for later in the day or were heading over to Moorea on the ferry late afternoon or early evening. All of them were able to stay on the ship or come and go as they pleased. Their luggage gets stored on the dock in an area separate form the luggage that goes with the Princess transfers.

Thank you for confirming what I thought was probably a misunderstanding of that final day onboard the ship. So, it seems they have not changed the procedures for those with either Princess transfers, private transfers or post cruise privately booked hotel stays? Will inform our roll call of this, before some get really worried. I wondered if maybe this wasn't just a misunderstanding of how the procedure worked. Thanks! :)

Someone from our roll call just called Princess about this. What they were told is that those 'flying home' that final evening, no matter whether they have ships transfers or plan to take a taxi, are allowed to stay onboard until they leave for the airport. They do request that passengers with a post cruise stay disembark by 9:00 AM. Now, I am not sure if this is a new so called rule or not, but I agree, there is no way for them to regulate who leaves at 9:00 AM and who stays onboard until they have lunch and feel like going to their hotel.

So, Princess may requst that those staying on in Tahiti leave the ship by nine, but they really have no way of enforcing this.

I will keep my eyes open on our upcoming B2B just to make sure that this is still the way it used to be and as long as you are off this ship by early evening, no problem.

Someone from our roll call just called Princess about this. What they were told is that those 'flying home' that final evening, no matter whether they have ships transfers or plan to take a taxi, are allowed to stay onboard until they leave for the airport. They do request that passengers with a post cruise stay disembark by 9:00 AM. Now, I am not sure if this is a new so called rule or not, but I agree, there is no way for them to regulate who leaves at 9:00 AM and who stays onboard until they have lunch and feel like going to their hotel.

So, Princess may requst that those staying on in Tahiti leave the ship by nine, but they really have no way of enforcing this.

I will keep my eyes open on our upcoming B2B just to make sure that this is still the way it used to be and as long as you are off this ship by early evening, no problem.

It worked completely fine in December when we finished our cruise. Even with newcomers arriving and those of us staying for the day, the ship facilities accommodated us all just fine. Plenty of space on the pool deck, in the buffet, the library and anywhere else we wanted to be. It was certainly a leisurely day. Others took island excursions and then came back to the ship before heading off to hotels of the airport.

It worked completely fine in December when we finished our cruise. Even with newcomers arriving and those of us staying for the day, the ship facilities accommodated us all just fine. Plenty of space on the pool deck, in the buffet, the library and anywhere else we wanted to be. It was certainly a leisurely day. Others took island excursions and then came back to the ship before heading off to hotels of the airport.

I totally agree. We have taken this cruise several times, and it's never been a problem the final day onboard. It could be that princess has ALWAYS asked those that have a post cruise hotel stay booked that they requested they leave the ship, I have no idea to tell you the truth as we have never done a post cruise stay. All I know is that in the past, nobody was made to leave the ship at 9:00 AM, and even those with hotels booked just hung around the ship for their meals before leaving for their hotel $$$$. I will definitely double check the disembarkation sheet next month and see exactly what it says, and what they are and are not enforcing (my guess, it will be just as it has been on previous cruises, nothing about leaving the ship is enforced until the early evening hours). ;)

• 1 month later...
I totally agree. We have taken this cruise several times, and it's never been a problem the final day onboard. It could be that princess has ALWAYS asked those that have a post cruise hotel stay booked that they requested they leave the ship, I have no idea to tell you the truth as we have never done a post cruise stay. All I know is that in the past, nobody was made to leave the ship at 9:00 AM, and even those with hotels booked just hung around the ship for their meals before leaving for their hotel $$$$. I will definitely double check the disembarkation sheet next month and see exactly what it says, and what they are and are not enforcing (my guess, it will be just as it has been on previous cruises, nothing about leaving the ship is enforced until the early evening hours). ;)

Any final clarification on the disembarkation requirement issue? Thanks. :)

During our Nov/Dec 2010 cruise on Royal Princess, people made their own choice about staying on the ship for the final day or leaving to do day tours or off to post cruise bookings. Absolutely no need to get a day room if you are on Princess as you have access to the ship facilities including spa showers for the day.

Any final clarification on the disembarkation requirement issue? Thanks. :)

Yes, I brought home my disembarkation sheet from the Royal last Thursday and just located it for you so I could give you up to date information (as promised).

Those with independent arrangements were to disembark the ship at anytime between 8:00 AM and 3:30 PM. This includes those with independent flights with transfers not booked through the cruise line, or post cruise hotel stays not booked through the cruise line.

There is absolutely no mention at all of anyone having to leave the ship in the morning. So, as said previously, even if you didn't book Princess transfers to the airport, you will be able to stay onboard the ship and use the ships buffet and facilities up until 3:30 PM before you must claim your luggage under the tents. ;) The 3:30 time is for luggage pick up as the luggage for independent arrangements is in a section of the pier (under tents) that they need cleared by the 3:30 timeframe, as they have a different colored tag. I was told (I enquired), if the luggage for those with seperate arrangements (with that certain colored luggage tag) was not picked up by 3:30 that it would go to the lost and found section.

The sheet also states that Taxis to the airport will run you about 3,000 CPF or $40.00 USD one way. We used the Princess transfers and I must admit, it was the best check in we have had at FAAA to date. We left the ships pier on the bus just after 6:30 PM, and were checked in and waiting at our gate before 8:00 PM. FAAA has improved their facilities again, to include more check in agents, lines that moved much faster (including immigration), and the airport itself has had another facelift. New seating throughout the entire airport, and the smoking section moved to the outdoor area.

I just wish I could say LAX has improved, but compared to last year, it was 10X's worse. It took several hours to get through customs and immigration at LAX. We made our 12:20 flight with about 45 minutes to spare (just enough time to grab some lunch to go at the airport). But the wait times getting through were absolutely horrific as they had several International flights all coming through at the exact same time.

One more small comment about using the ships facilities that final day. If you plan to use the showers in the spa, go early. I went about 4:00 and there were only three others in the showers. Those that waited until 4:30 or after resembled a high school shower room. I went back in to get something I left and there had to be at least a dozen women in there all at once, and it is a very small spa shower room in comparison to the larger ships (and very little privacy if you are modest). ;) Only two showers and not a lot of changing room. ;)

• 1 month later...
If you are on Royal Princess, you can spend the day coming and going from the ship as you please prior to your late night flight. You have access to everything on the ship except your stateroom which you vacate 0800 in order for them to clean and prepare for the newly arriving passengers. We found it was a very enjoyable relaxing day to spend prior to heading to the airport for our late night flight. Or you could take in one last island tour, shopping etc. for the day or part of the day. You can even use the showers in the spa to freshen up at the end of the day if you wish.

wow VERY impressed with your webpage... So much information on Bora Bora. That's my dream vacation.

wow VERY impressed with your webpage... So much information on Bora Bora. That's my dream vacation.

Glad that you liked it. It has been fun creating the webpage as a way to share planning, share experiences and a way to look back and remember all the incredible experiences. I have found info from other travelers to be so helpful in my own planning. The website will hopefully help others with planning or serve as an inspiration. I definitely have the travel planning bug!

Glad that you liked it. It has been fun creating the webpage as a way to share planning, share experiences and a way to look back and remember all the incredible experiences. I have found info from other travelers to be so helpful in my own planning. The website will hopefully help others with planning or serve as an inspiration. I definitely have the travel planning bug!

I have put your site in my favorites so I can find it quickly as hopefully husband and I go to Tahiti after our last child is out of school. It is my dream about vacation.

• 1 month later...

Archived